AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Bob, i live in iowa and just picked up (2) Sony VPH-D50Q's. I have poked around a bit last night trying to learn possibly what my first steps should be. I have plugged them both in and they appear to have lights on all tubes, i am guessing i should probably try to figure out the number of hours on the tubes? after that i need to measure my room to see if it will fit... I guess i am a bit overwhelmed with all the info it takes to set one of these up (would be neat to get one going) .

If anyone has any advice to someone brand new at this i would sure appreciate your opinions as i am pretty clueless at this point. I am pretty handy and can build most anything out of wood,metal,fiberglass etc so building a screen is also on my mind - not sure which cloth to buy .. probably ahead of myself at this point

is there some way to verify these units are good and useable before taking steps to acquire a screen etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Registered
18,506 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just point it at a light colored wall preferably white. If you have access to a 5 BNC breakout cable connect it to a computer see if shows an image.

A D50 should do 800X600 with no issue at all if it's working right. If you don't have a breakout cable just use standalone DVD player connected via S-Video. You will have bad scan lines but it should tell you if it works. I'm not sure but a D50 might have a built-in line doubler so it might not look that bad with a DVD into s-video.

Here is a little guide to setup if you do get an image.

http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTSetupGuide.shtm

Edit: Curt your typing faster then I

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
read your primer and d50 page last night - Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and for your site - it is a godsend (and yes at some point i need to send a donation)

i have one remote for both - i think my plan is to check the hours on the tubes and fire the projectors against a white wall to just try and see what i am dealing with (for starters) before i throw any dough at these (screen/extra remote etc) i have also considered selling one of em to try and get one up and running.. any idea of what one of these generally brings? I have also thought that having an extra may be good for parts - at this point I am pretty up in the air

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Welcome ddrumguy.

This forum is a wonderful place to learn about ct projectors and "sharing" that knowledge is what we do best...hehe

Take your time and learn how to converge and setup that d50, but be aware crt projectors are highly addictive and in no time you will be hunting for a G90!

Feel free to ask whatever questions you might have and we will be more than happy to advise you on them.

Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, i am so stoked

got both machines fired up and one has 4285 hours and the other has 5148 hours, so at least tube wise looks like i am at half life? (read somewhere they ar good for around 10k?) noticed one machine was set brighter than the other (i lowered it and the contast down to around 45 )... was able to watch a dvd on both (s-video) granted a bit out of focus and colors are out of alignment (i assume all of this will get fixed once i go through setup)?

is there any thing else i should look at before assuming all is good and to now go forward with mounting the unit and building a screen and beginning setup?

any advantages to ceiling hung versus sitting on a stand?

sorry for so many questions...

Thanks - Bob

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
THe hour count is pretty useless other than telling you how long the set has been on for. you've probably lost a bit of sharpness due to the sets being over 3500 hours in the 'on' mode, but the nice thing is, if the set has been in standby mode (on, but no light projecting) for most of those hours, the tube phosphor should be decent still, and you'll have lots of life left.

To check which set is better, pull the lenses (1 screw in each corner pops them off), and compare the tubes to this chart:

http://www.curtpalme.com/TubeCondition_RatingChart.shtm

Anything higher than a '6' and you should be fine. In those sets, the blue tube usually wears first, then the green, and the red is usually good for 15,000 hours +. As you said, keep the better of the sets and put it into use, strip the worse one, or keep it whole and shelve it somewhere.

The only common problem with these sets is that one day you'll lose control of the brightness, it won't do anything. That's a pretty simple fix. If it works now, don't bother doing preventative maintenance at this point other than maybe blowing dust out of the fans if there is any.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funny i was just on your site reading about phosphor burn in and thinking hmm maybe it isn;t the hours that are the issue but how those hours were used. I do know that these units came from an professional company and were used in their boardrooms so i think the environments were real clean. cool on to my next step, looking at the tubes... Thanks for walking me through this

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Ddrumguy

There is no difference between ceiling/table top mounting your crt (...other than the fact that on the ceiling it is out of the way and you can get better viewing .)

Check out the tubes and if you would like take some pictures of them with no flash and we will be able to tell you what shape they are in once you post the pics

Good luck with your new adventure

Martin

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan /forum/post/15430907

Ddrumguy

There is no difference between ceiling/table top mounting your crt (...other than the fact that on the ceiling it is out of the way and you can get better viewing .)

to say the least
On the floor it takes up the best seat in the house, both for sound and picture viewing. Floor mounting sucks.

Also, don't waste time building a screen. Pretty decent starter screens can be had for a hundred bucks and if if you scrounge around on flea bay and craigslist you might get a very niced fixed screen for a little more. Look for a Draper Luma roll-up to get started, Starter screen .Or if you get really lucky, a Draper Onyx fixed screen is really nice, just make sure it's HDTV aspect ratio and matte white.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Gotta agree on the screen thing. I got by with a smooth, white painted wall for better than a year. Kept watching the bay, eventually found a large fixed mount draper for $35 plus shipping. (shipping was over a hundred bucks - turns out frames for 12' wide screens are.....12 foot wide.
So they come in 12' long boxes. Had to get it into the theater thru the window.)

So first, get the sucker set up, watch it a while to make sure it keeps going, and then, watch sales for the screen. (and btw - my screen was NIB!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, i'll keep an eye out - i was gonna just slam a screen together for something to setup an watch on short term with the idea that i would get a better screen later... flyingvee are you in Iowa?? I m in des moines

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
that's too bad, blue is pretty worn on both but the second is worse. You can still enjoy it though, it's not worth putting in a new $600. tube from sony. Use it as-is and then you can upgrade if you find HT is really enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Actually you might even consider taking the Green from the second one and transplanting it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cant remember is the one that looks white actually green or blue?

i was watching a dvd with both projectors last night, granted the calibrations are off but it really didn;t look that bad - course i am new at this so probably not real adept at what to look for anyway. I may throw the second machine on ebay, any thoughts on what it might be worth? hopefully it could help fund getting the first machine up and going. are retubes an option would i only need to retube a couple of tubes?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
As Dragan said, it's not worth putting $1200 into a set like that. Enjoy it/them for what they are worth, get to learn how to set them up REALLY well, so that they sing, then upgrade. Both those sets look like typical 5000 hours of 'on' time or so. You can retube, but I wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.