AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have decided to build a subwoofer rather then purchase one. This is my first ever sub project and my first time building anything.
So please be patient with me if I don't understand something at first.

My budget is $1000

A friend has recommended I use the JBL W15GTi MKII and the Behringer EP4000.

I know nothing when it comes to building a subwoofer.

Thanks to all who have the patience and streangth to help me build a sub

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Those GTi15 subs are good subs. Normally I'd say they're a bit high pricing wise, but due to a lack of options (low supply, high demand) they're not awful. The EP2500/4000 is a good match with their single 3ohm load.

Ported or sealed, I'm sure you'll be happy once they'er built.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber
Those GTi15 subs are good subs. Normally I'd say they're a bit high pricing wise, but due to a lack of options (low supply, high demand) they're not awful. The EP2500/4000 is a good match with their single 3ohm load.

Thanks
I'm either going sealed or Classic Transmission Line. How big can TLs become?

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
EQ and xover flexibility will improve performance. Minidsp is about best value for this application.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have the time to list the things I'm going to need for building a sealed sub? How bout for TL sub? Thanks guys
)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber

What subs would you recommend? I found the gti15 for close to $350

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54
Does anyone have the time to list the things I'm going to need for building a sealed sub? How bout for TL sub? Thanks guys
)
Driver, amp, EQ/xover, some cables ply/mdf and woodworking tools and somewhere to do it.

No point to a TL, they're just oversized and you can get the same response with EQ and power from sealed.

If you can get the JBL for $350, buy two and build two subs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
Driver, amp, EQ/xover, some cables ply/mdf and woodworking tools and somewhere to do it.

No point to a TL, they're just oversized and you can get the same response with EQ and power from sealed.

If you can get the JBL for $350, buy two and build two subs.
Thanks for the help

I suppose I could go sealed. Since I plan multiples anyway, sealed should be fine.

Anywhere I can get a plan for the enclosure?

I'm going to build two enclosures but only buy one driver, as to keep in budget. As money comes in I'll add the driver to the other. I suppose I'd have to buy a new receiver first cause mine is only a 5.1.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Thanks for the help

I suppose I could go sealed. Since I plan multiples anyway, sealed should be fine.

I'm going to build two enclosures but only buy one driver, as to keep in budget. As money comes in I'll add the driver to the other. I suppose I'd have to buy a new receiver first cause mine is only a 5.1.[/QUOTE

Your receiver is fine, the Behringer will split the mono signal between 2 channels just fine.

If the drivers are $350 each, combined with an EP4000 you're still in budget......unless you're figuring in enclosure materials.

Please post the drivers T/S parameters so someone can model up and enclosure for you.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/quote]Your receiver is fine, the Behringer will split the mono signal between 2 channels just fine.[/quote] Sweet!!

[/quote]

If the drivers are $350 each, combined with an EP4000 you're still in budget......unless you're figuring in enclosure materials.[/quote]

The $1000 is figuring in enclosure materials. If you had to guess, how much do you think the materials (other than the amp and driver) will be? Depending on the cost, I may be able to stretch my budget.

[/quote]

Please post the drivers T/S parameters so someone can model up and enclosure for you.[/quote]

VOICE COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC(OHMS)* . . . . . 2.95

VOICE COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1 KHZ: LEVC(MH)* . . . . . . 1.06

DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD(FT2) . . . . . . . . 0.839

SD(M2) . . . . . . . . 0.078

MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL (TM)* . . . . . . . 15.39

COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS(FT3) . . . . . . . . 4.67

VAS(LITERS) . . . . 132.20

SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS(µM/N) . . . . 153.02

MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS(GRAMS). . . . 260.67

MOVING MASS, DIAPHRAGM: MMD(GRAMS) . . . 248.15

FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS(HZ) . . . . . . . . 25.20

MECHANICAL Q: QMS. . . . . . . . . . . 7.20

ELECTRICAL Q: QES. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.51

TOTAL Q: QTS. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.48

MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG(IN) . . . . . . . . . 1.00

HAG(MM) . . . . . . . 25.40

VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC(IN) . . . . . . . . . 2.60

HVC(MM) . . . . . . . 66.04

MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX(IN) . . . . . . . . 0.80

(ONE-WAY LINEAR) XMAX(MM) . . . . . . 20.32

*VOICE COILS CONNECTED IN PARALLEL

·
Registered
9,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 /forum/post/20859745

Thanks for the help

Just as easy to make two at the same time as one.

Quote:

Normally you design your own - it's just a box of whatever dimensions suit you with a hole for the driver. Attached is a 2 min simulation of it in 103L net with 600W. 'Net' volume means internal volume + driver displacement (say 5l for this one) + bracing, but for sealed it's not critical.

Quote:

I suppose I'd have to buy a new receiver first cause mine is only a 5.1.

The sub or LFE channel is mono, even for most .2 where it is usually just a of parallel set of sockets with the same signal. The reason for using multiple subs is to get a more even in room response. Physical placement in the room will create peaks and nulls based upon the room dimensions and construction and speaker placement. For wont of a better description, multiple subs 'averages out' the response over the listening area.
Link - 4th item

Other drivers to look at are the Mach5 IXL 15 and 18 both od which give 'similar' results in the similar sized enclosure.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
ds-21 experimented with these extensively and found them to be very good.

4.3 cubic foot sealed per driver gives tuning of 0.707.

3 cubic foot sealed per driver gives tuning of 0.776.

-3db point is around 38hz in either case.

1000 watts per driver will push them past xmax even in a 3 cubic foot cab, so i would choose the smaller option.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
Normally you design your own - it's just a box of whatever dimensions suit you with a hole for the driver. Attached is a 2 min simulation of it in 103L net with 600W. 'Net' volume means internal volume + driver displacement (say 5l for this one) + bracing, but for sealed it's not critical.
Doesn't the size of the box alter the sound?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 /forum/post/20859679

What subs would you recommend? I found the gti15 for close to $350

At 350/ea*2, four Dayton RS HF 15's could be had for the same price and will have a greater potential output with the same amp. You would need larger enclosures though, regardless if you went ported, sealed, and maybe even TL.

Speaking of TL, I don't know a lot about them other than if used properly with a 15" sub, it's going to be big!

·
Registered
9,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 /forum/post/20859969

Doesn't the size of the box alter the sound?

Yes, but I gave a Butterworth Q=0.707 or maximally flat respopnse. This gives the best LF extension compromise whilst remaining flat in the smallest enclosure.

Here is a graphic of how it changes. As Q increases, the box is getting smaller.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20859986

At 350/ea*2, four Dayton RS HF 15's could be had for the same price and will have a greater potential output with the same amp. You would need larger enclosures though, regardless if you went ported, sealed, and maybe even TL.

When you say "greater potential output" do you mean per sub or overall?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20860023

looney is right, but you need much more cab space.

I got plenty of space in the house for a few subs. One in each corner

Which is better? Mach5 IXL 15/18 or the Dayton RS HF 15?

Which is better four Dayton/Mach5s or 4 JBL?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 /forum/post/20860003

When you say "greater potential output" do you mean per sub or overall?

I mean overall as a system (amp/sub/box). But sealed you're gonna go from around 8ft net with the GTi's to around 16-20ft net with the RS HF's. For some that's not an issue. For others, that's a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 /forum/post/20860051

Which is better four Dayton/Mach5s or 4 JBL?

Four JBL's and two EP2500/4000's and a 20amp dedicated circuit. That goes way over your budget though!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20860063

I mean overall as a system (amp/sub/box). But sealed you're gonna go from around 8ft net with the GTi's to around 16-20ft net with the RS HF's. For some that's not an issue. For others, that's a deal breaker.

Four JBL's and two EP2500/4000's and a 20amp dedicated circuit. That goes way over your budget though!

Indeed it does. I was planning on adding subs over time, but only one or two. I don't want to spend too much on the subs. I still have lots of other things in the audio world that are calling my name!!

However, I wouldnt mind spending another $1000 sometime to make another pair of JBL's

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.