AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Good evening,

I am shopping around for my first projector which, ideally, would be under $600.

My current apartment does not get much light, so I am not particularly concerned about light output.

Right now I cannot decide whether I should get a 720p short throw or a 1080p normal throw (please let me know if my thought process is totally off and I should be thinking about something else instead). The room I will be using is 12' by 14', and since I am not planning to mount the projector on the ceiling (at least for the time being), my expected throw will be somewhere between 7' and 11' (it will be placed on a coffee table next to the couch, meaning that the distance from the couch to the screen will be about 10-11'). I understand that the 3' can make a big difference, but the wall corresponding to the sorter throw (7'-8') is better suited to serve as a screen. I have been looking at:

1)  ViewSonic PJD7820HD

Ouch. Price-wise, most (all?) 1080p seem to be outside of my comfort zone. This is borderline. Both ViewSonics will give me a 70" to 100" picture which sounds good...? I am slightly concerned about it's positioning and how well it will perform in my space.

2)  ViewSonic PJD5533W

The slightly cheaper than ST BenQ 720p ViewSonic. Again, not ST - will this perform fine in my somewhat limited space?

2)  BenQ W770ST

Obviously, I can have a much bigger picture form the same distance. But will the 720p be noticeable if I am sitting 10 feet away from the screen?

I will be projecting exclusively movies (no gaming), and I don't particularly care about 3D.

Comments and/or suggestions much appreciated! Thank you!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts