AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I'm looking for some help.

I live in an apartment. I want to set up a projector in the living room. The living room is 12ft x 17ft. The projector would be shining from the 17 foot wall to the 12 foot wall. The screen can take up to 8 feet....but from what I read so far...I don't want anything that big.

I am a college student. I am on a budget. I know you guys are going to tell me that this is very expensive. I am looking for an inexpensive projector. I am not worried about the screen. I work in construction and can put one together out of blackout cloth.

I would only be using the projector at night to watch movies with my girlfriend. There may be some rare occasions when I want to use it during the day, but i plan to buy heavy curtains to put over the windows in order to keep the room dark.

I almost bought an Epson Powerlite 730c for $100 dollars....but the guy says the fan doesn't turn all the way off when it goes to sleep. He says he hasn't used it very much.. (Is it possible that the fan will go off later and that the fan staying on is part of a "cool down cycle". If something is actually wrong with it....is it a cheap fix?) What are your opinions on this? He said he would knock it down to $50 dollars since the fan doesn't turn all the way off when it goes into standby......should i get it?

I am on a budget, but i really want to do this. I work really hard and so does my girlfriend....and this would be a perfect way to spend time together and unwind and relax....as well as spend some time with my family!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Fan should stay on for a few minutes to cool the lamp down.

Be prepared for a used projector to break and turn into trash at any moment. It's a realization you have to come to grips with.

IMO, buy a cheap 55 inch tv and sit closer, or do something else in the dark with your girl. Although that can be much more costly lol.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rxlt  /t/1468461/first-projector#post_23208512

I almost bought an Epson Powerlite 730c for $100 dollars....but the guy says the fan doesn't turn all the way off when it goes to sleep. He says he hasn't used it very much.. (Is it possible that the fan will go off later and that the fan staying on is part of a "cool down cycle". If something is actually wrong with it....is it a cheap fix?) What are your opinions on this? He said he would knock it down to $50 dollars since the fan doesn't turn all the way off when it goes into standby......should i get it?

I am on a budget, but i really want to do this. I work really hard and so does my girlfriend....and this would be a perfect way to spend time together and unwind and relax....as well as spend some time with my family!

For $50 - eh why not? Caveat: have you seen it in operation?

If you get a few weeks/months use it's worthwhile especially if your standards are low. It's a business projector and was once considered best in its class.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_730c.htm

It's an 9-11 year old projector. 4:3 aspect ratio. Will accept a 720p or 1080i signal and scale it down to its native resolution.

Do you have a sound system to go along with this? Simple cure to fan issue is to turn it off after a few minutes of cool-down with a surge protector switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts