Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've been reading posts on this site for a couple of weeks now, its so full of comments, technical info, that I'm getting lost.

I really, and I mean really don't know much about all the technical information given here. I'm impressed with all this knowledge, but could you all help me out?

I was considering to buy the Panasonic 300 or a Sanyo Z1 but will wait for the coming Panasonic 500 or the Sanyo Z2 for my first purchase.

Now, many other projectors are talked about on this site (NEC, Sony, Infocus etc...) with all their technical data...this is what's confusing.

In the price range of these two projectors, are these the best choice?

What are the most important thing to consider?

Read a few comments on the Sanyo light bulb, that had to be replaced after 300, 400 hrs. Is that frequent?

Also noise, dust on lens for the Sanyo Z1. Does anybody know if these are corrected on the Z2?

All comments will be apreciated to help make the best buy possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Gede, it seems you are relatively new here, so some tips for you, sir:

*People that have 300+ posts usually ignore threads like this because someone has asked this before.

*Searching the web and even this Forum will probably answer most of your questions.

No one can answer what is the best choice for you. I don't have a front PJ yet, either, and I wish someone would just come out and say, "I love my XX PJ and you should get one too!" and no one would disagree. What happens is that you get all levels of expertise here, so what you or I might love, someone else might sniff at. They may use scalers, Roundtable DVD players, etc. whereas I bought my $200 DVD player at Best Buy. They may calibrate all their gear themselves, where someone else might not adjust their set at all. The point is, this is all an opinion game. If you remember that, it will make it easier to remain grounded and make sense of it all.

If you like it, that's what counts, my friend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you "McPatrickClan" !

Perhaps a pool on the satisfaction of owners would be helpfull for you and me.

I'm not looking for more data of technical nature, but more a degree of satisfaction on reliability, warranty, durability...these kind of info.

The technical data gets me more confused than helpfull. But if the owners of these projectors for exemple, had many problems like some comments I read on the dirt on the lens, noise, lack of durability of the lamps etc...as for the Sanyo Z1...this is very helpfull in buying the best projector in these price range.

The technical wiz can always had filters, configure their equipment, and what have you, and still do good...not me.

That's more what I'm looking for...what's the best buy for someone who is dumb on the technical side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gede,

If you haven't found it already, projectorcentral.com is one of the sites that many people on this forum look to for all kind of projector information. It's a very informative website. Check it out if you haven't yet. As you pointed out though, solid info on reliability and durability is mostly going to come from the people that have owned these projectors for a while. Most reported anomalies seem to be bulbs with short lives and video related artifacts(scanlines, banding...so on). Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Twistone,

Went there, thank you for the tip, found very good info

there.

By the way, is the bulb problem of concern ?

Is there one projector that seems to be more unreliable concerning this aspect. I have the feeling that Sanyo owners reported this more than other, am I right ?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I'm not looking for more data of technical nature, but more a degree of satisfaction on reliability, warranty, durability...these kind of info.
the problem is that new models come out every year (or more often) so even if someone was gathering reliability info on a projector model it would be useless (i.e. by the time enough info is gathered the model is not available any more)

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Both the Sanyo Z1 and the Panasonic 100 200 300 series seem to have a pretty good following around here. Shooting from the hip, I'd guestimate that the the Pannys are more popular. The Panasonics have no screen door issues. I seem to also recall that the internal processing on the Z1 isn't class leading.

Then again, then Z1 is darn cheap.

Cheap is good. With the way these things are leapfrogging each other every 9-12 months, it really doesn't make much sense to me to blow a big wad of cash if 2 years from now you're going to be eyeballing what happens 2 generations from now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gede,

I'm sure those unlucky few who have experienced a "bad" lamp/bulb will tend to disagree, but from everything I've gathered it seems to be fairly rare.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by matrix
gede, before you commit to digital, come on over and see what CRT is all about! :D
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=16
This sounds like a challenge. Why not a CRT vs Digital screenshot shootout? We can all select a popular comparison DVD and submit our results. Would this not be beneficial to all members? What say you, matrix?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

Went to see the threads for the CRT...By the way what is that ??? Saw price around 14,000$US...way over my budget!

Saw yesterday the Knoll in a store here, its a company that sells Infocus projectors under this name. The one I saw was selling for 2200$ CAN (more or less 1400$US). Its a DLP (did I get that right?), I'm concerned about the rainbow effect, but honestly didn't see any.

I was also concerned about the "screen-door" effect, and read here that many corrected this by lightly unfocus the projector, as with the Sanyo Z1. The seller where I saw the Knoll, showed me this and It works.

What is confusing is that this projector has a ratio of 1000-1 (if not more) compared to the Panasonic 300 (800-1), but the colors and brightness of the later is much, much better. So, as someone wrote its something related to your personal preferences.

From your comments and posts I've read here, if I choose between the Panasonic 300 or the coming 500, and the Sanyo Z2 I'm making a very good purchase in those price range.

Happy to learn also that the bulb issue isn't a problem.

Anybody knows if the dust on lens is corrected on the Z2, and if they managed to make it as quiet as the Pana 300.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to help me out, your comments are all apreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Gede...if the projector you saw was an X1 or equivalent model from Infocus...Knoll is charging a lot of money for it. You can buy it on-line for 1399.00 Canadian $$$ at places like cendirect.com. Check it out...if you did not see rainbows at the demo, chances are you will not see them...

good luck...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMRA
This sounds like a challenge. Why not a CRT vs Digital screenshot shootout? We can all select a popular comparison DVD and submit our results. Would this not be beneficial to all members? What say you, matrix?
I am open to the idea but I have not found a way to do screen shots justice with a digital camera then post here. Anyone in the Indianapolis area is welcome to drop by and see my setup. I think home theater is something that must be judged in person to see the differences in image quality. Don't get me wrong. I think digital projectors do a fine job with video. But for the amount of money invested I believe buying a good 8" liquid coupled CRT and re tubing it gives a better result for the same money spent. Let's face it, a Sony G70 when new is $30,000 plus . After I re tube one and make all the adjustments it is a new projector operating a factory specs. All this for around $3500. In all honesty will a new $5000 DLP or LCD out preform a $30,000 CRT? If it will why does NASA , all the aerospace companies and the US Government still use CRT Graphics projectors? The invitation is open. The beer is cold.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Contrast adds to increased depth of field, not color impact or brightness. See projectorcentral.com they have a good article comparing the X1 to the z1 and comment on how the Z1 seems like it has brighter and richer colors, but the X1 has a more film like quality(less flat), and it is likely a personal preferance issue (I am very much paraphrasing)

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by matrix
In all honesty will a new $5000 DLP or LCD out preform a $30,000 CRT? If it will why does NASA , all the aerospace companies and the US Government still use CRT Graphics projectors? The invitation is open. The beer is cold.
Arn't these the same folks that spend $600.00 on a toilet seat? And, $2500.00 on a hammer?

BTW, what exactly do I get for $3500.00?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gede
I was considering to buy the Panasonic 300 or a Sanyo Z1 but will wait for the coming Panasonic 500 or the Sanyo Z2 for my first purchase.

Also noise, dust on lens for the Sanyo Z1. Does anybody know if these are corrected on the Z2?
I look at it this way. When I upgraded from my Hitachi Ultravision 53" to a SE 1HD (Sanyo PLV-Z1), it was the best thing I ever did for my home theater ( http://www.schloctar.com/pictures/theater/ ). I could have waited for CEDIA and new projectors. But then they won't be sold in volume till November. So since July I've been the proud and awestruck owner of great little entry level projector. Only 11 C-bills or 38% of what my Hitachi RPTV cost 2 years ago!

I originally planned on getting the PLV-70, but lost my good job and the new job really didn't provide the budget. But the more and more I watch my 1HD in action (MNFB in HD), the more content I am with it. Oh, I'll upgrade, but when there is a truly big leap in performance for a relatively cost effective upgrade.

As for maintenance and service, everything requires that to a degree. You don't go out and buy a $40k Lexus and run it for 50k miles till it seizes up. No, you change the oil, replace the filters, and perform normal upkeep. It's no different with FPTV. Once every two weeks or so I remove the filters and clean them. Albeit I've only had the unit a little over 3 months, but I've had no problems. Also, environment helps. My theater room never gets above 70F, so there is less heat strain on the projector. A few people with high failure rates later admitted to using the device in 80F+ rooms with rather limited air circulation! Heck, even I fail under those conditions ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.