AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

First Purchase, New To Recorders

637 Views 7 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  HealeyGuy
I'm looking to replace an old JVC dvd player and am thinking about getting a recorder so I can burn dvds of my old home movies (as well and my VHS library) I'm needing to hook up my Mac to is so I can burn DVD movies/copies as well that are prepared on my computer. Anyone with ideas on a good recorder? Not looking for top of the line by any means.

Oh, and a stupid question, do the recorders actually just play movies as to use that as a primary player as well?

Thanks,

midnight
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Presuming that the movies you are preparing on your Mac are in DV format, you can send those by Firewire to the Pioneer DVR-533H and -633H. At least I can do that with my older Pioneer DVD recorder. If the movies on the computer are not in DV format then you can send them to a DVD recorder via the S-Video connection, presuming your Mac has an S-video output. However, rather than use S-video to record a movie from a Mac I'd use software such as Toast or iDVD.

As for recording your VHS library you should be aware that DVD recorders will reject Macrovision-protected VHS movies.

Yes, DVD recorders are also DVD players.
Thank you for the response.

I don't have a dvd burner on my Mac and that is why I was thinking of going with the recorder. I didn't even think about having to hook it via S-video, I presumed going through Firewire would work. I plan to capture all VHS on my Mac by using a Matrox RTMac converter leftover from work. I'm not sure if that will reject protected movies as well but then there is programs out there to scrub out that protection. Maybe I haven't thought this through, but I figured if I could just get the recorder and not have to buy a recorder with VHS I could get a better recorder.
You can play video via Firewire from the Mac to the Firewire input on a standalone record only if the video is in DV format (which is what a DV camcorder records in). Any other video format on the Mac will have to be converted to DV before it can be transmitted via Firewire to the standalone recorder. I'm not familiar with a Matrox RTMac converter. If it is like a Canopus ADVC then the video will be imported in DV format.

There are devices that will remove Macrovision. It's just that it needs to happen before the video can be recorded to a DVD recorder.

You don't need a recorder with VHS built in. Whatever you are now using to play the VHS tapes can connect directly to the DVD recorder.
A Matrox is exactly like the Canopus, actually the Canopus replaced the Matrox since the Matrox wasn't compatible with our new G5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightscape
A Matrox is exactly like the Canopus, actually the Canopus replaced the Matrox since the Matrox wasn't compatible with our new G5.
Then you're set. The way it works to transmit DV video from my Mac to my Pioneer DVR-510H is to set the Pioneer's input to DV and it automatically sees what's in my iMovie timeline. I merely have to play the movie from the timeline while recording. The Pioneer also recognizes if it is 16:9 video playing from iMovie HD. You also can play DV via Firewire with a freeware application called Simple Video Out X.
Looking back at the 2 Pioneers you suggested they look like they are DVR's. Will I have the need for a DVR recorder if I'm doing them thru my Mac as opposed to taking it from a satellite or cable DVR?

BTW, thanks for all the info...it's truly appreciated.

midnight
They aren't exactly DVR's. They are DVD recorders that also have a hard drive. Those are the only ones that Pioneer now makes that has the Firewire link. If you can find a DVR-320-S from earlier this year it has Firewire input and output and does not have a hard drive.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.