·
Registered
8,958 Posts
NICE! And 2560 x 1080 is 2.37 too

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
But is it an option for those of us who own a 2.37 screen with a width above 2.5m?

I thought that 2.37 is only "important" for anamorphic lens users? Wouldn't it make more sense to choose 2.40 for a TV like this?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Not really. If you look at the history of TV's, they have always been based on 1.33:1, so 1.33 x 1.33 = 1.78:1 and 1.78 x 1.33 = 2.37...

Mark

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Bring them on, it only makes our way of watching films more mainstream

Mark

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Wow...very cool. This pic of a package makes me think they intend to make it mainstream. Or perhaps I'm just hoping.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
That is cool

Mark

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
And five point one in audio is actually five point zere zero five, but market rounding suggests the name five point one roll will off the tounge a bit easier, so lets call this 21:9 or Scope TV...

Mark

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater /forum/post/15549987

Many here said this would never happen. Glad to see some manufacturers still want to push the masses in the right direction.

I was one who thought it would not! I'm quite surprised. Perhaps this means we can hope for a new hi-rez audio effort on bluray after all.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore /forum/post/15559009

I was one who thought it would not! I'm quite surprised. Perhaps this means we can hope for a new hi-rez audio effort on bluray after all.

Yeah BD Music discs would be cool but I only hope this forces the studios to release true anamorphic titles on BD now...

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just saw this on engadget, and was just coming over to post about here! Looks like I'm a couple of days late! I remember posting a link to a curved extra wide screen rear projection gaming monitor ok here about a year ago (I think it was at last years CES) things have certainly moved on! It does look very nice, can't wait to see one in the flesh. Wonder what the pricing would be like.

How will this actually work? Will it have some sort of autodetection of source aspect ratio and then scale accordingly or will we see bluray players natively output at this aspect ratio?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
While I really want scope pj's, I don't think scope tv's are going to help our cause and may in fact hurt it.

Here's my logic...

Scope tv sales will not be good since majority of people will hate pillars but at the same time will hate having HD/SD content stretched all the time. The sucky sales of scope tv's will make manufacturers reluctant to introduce scope projectors. I think scope aspect display devices will only flourish for projectors with masking systems and will always be a niche product.

Once scope projectors get introduced, we're all going to have a several thousand dollar paperweight on our hands. I think ISCO 3 owners should start dumping their lenses now for a considerable discount to avoid this.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco /forum/post/15562269

While I really want scope pj's, I don't think scope tv's are going to help our cause and may in fact hurt it.

Here's my logic...

Scope tv sales will not be good since majority of people will hate pillars but at the same time will hate having HD/SD content stretched all the time. The sucky sales of scope tv's will make manufacturers reluctant to introduce scope projectors. I think scope aspect display devices will only flourish for projectors with masking systems and will always be a niche product.

Once scope projectors get introduced, we're all going to have a several thousand dollar paperweight on our hands. I think ISCO 3 owners should start dumping their lenses now for a considerable discount to avoid this.

I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom. At any rate, I hope this is a prelude to scope projectors, since masking a fixed screen will be much easier....not to mention the elimination of anamorphic lenses.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/15559195

Yeah BD Music discs would be cool but I only hope this forces the studios to release true anamorphic titles on BD now...

Mark

A BIG FAT +1 on that mate!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/15562776

I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom.

True, but it comes down to what content people watch most on their tv's... and that will be either 16:9 (HD)/4:3 (SD). People don't want to see a stretched image or pillars most of the time just to have full screen for the occasional movie. It's the other way around. Can you image how bad 4:3 stretched out to scope will look?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
wow glad to see that lowest common denomination does not exist in tv.. lol

21:9 = 7:3

1 - 20 of 72 Posts