AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have purchased a Yamaha 2070bl receiver 11 channel 140w per channel and the x box one x. I have been using logitech z906 but I want to upgrade to a real system since I now have atmos capabilities. I currently have the option to purchase a 5.1 elac home cinema setup from 2007 msrp new at $2000 for $300 or an Andrew Jones 5.0 setup with 4 bs41(upgrade from the normal bs22s) And the center channel speakers for $300. Or I can start from scratch and get some kef q100s and build from scratch. I have also been in contact with Dennis Murphy from Philharmonic building my set from his products. I was debating emotiva 12 inch sub or monolith 10 inch from monoprice. Do you recommend I get the elac or pioneers or just slowly build my 5.1.2 system? Im open to any and all recommendations. I've been researching for months but I am ready to start buying my system. I use my home theater for 50% movies 50% gaming. I love music but I primarily listen to music in my vehicle with a 17 speaker surround setup. I am totally willing to listen to music on this setup but currently my speakers in my home theater pale in comparison to my vehicle. So being my wife and I primarily use this system for gaming(hdr atmos capable) and hdr movies/shows etc. Please give any recommendations. I am trying to stay on a budget since I spent a sigficiant amount on the t.v. xbox and receiver all this month. I really want to get one of the two systems and upgrade from there. I just want advice on what system to start with and an ideal upgrade path.

·
Registered
21,724 Posts
So far I have purchased a Yamaha 2070bl receiver 11 channel 140w per channel and the x box one x. I have been using logitech z906 but I want to upgrade to a real system since I now have atmos capabilities. I currently have the option to purchase a 5.1 elac home cinema setup from 2007 msrp new at $2000 for $300 or an Andrew Jones 5.0 setup with 4 bs41(upgrade from the normal bs22s) And the center channel speakers for $300. Or I can start from scratch and get some kef q100s and build from scratch. I have also been in contact with Dennis Murphy from Philharmonic building my set from his products. I was debating emotiva 12 inch sub or monolith 10 inch from monoprice. Do you recommend I get the elac or pioneers or just slowly build my 5.1.2 system? Im open to any and all recommendations. I've been researching for months but I am ready to start buying my system. I use my home theater for 50% movies 50% gaming. I love music but I primarily listen to music in my vehicle with a 17 speaker surround setup. I am totally willing to listen to music on this setup but currently my speakers in my home theater pale in comparison to my vehicle. So being my wife and I primarily use this system for gaming(hdr atmos capable) and hdr movies/shows etc. Please give any recommendations. I am trying to stay on a budget since I spent a sigficiant amount on the t.v. xbox and receiver all this month. I really want to get one of the two systems and upgrade from there. I just want advice on what system to start with and an ideal upgrade path.
On AVS the majority of use do not think of Andrew Jones designs for Home Theater to be honest.

Q100s would be far better if they are still available as would Klipsch RP or Polk Signatures with free returns at Best Buy.

Another great option are JBLs with their free returns.

A bookshelf based Arena setup with 125c+130+120 would be $495, $570 if you went with 130s for all four corners.

These are the best subs to consider in the $500 +/- price range.

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $425 HSU VTF 1 MK3

400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
THE Amazon OFFER IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ONLY

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

·
Registered
730 Posts
I really want to get one of the two systems and upgrade from there. I just want advice on what system to start with and an ideal upgrade path.
I think the first steps are establishing a sound preference by listening to as many speakers as possible (even if they are out of budget).

Then set a budget (don't think you mentioned it).

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
What is your total all in budget excluding the AVR?

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Please give any recommendations. I am trying to stay on a budget since I spent a sigficiant amount on the t.v. xbox and receiver all this month. I really want to get one of the two systems and upgrade from there. I just want advice on what system to start with and an ideal upgrade path.
Cambridge SX60
https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-SX-60-Speakers-Walnut/dp/B00ELMJCNE

Cambridge SX70
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambsx70dwa/cambridge-audio-sx70-4-3-way-center-channel-speaker-dark-walnut/1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfrTBRC_ARIsAJ5ps0vjJKPbNt1P5OmK5UUETFhLdK8uoPrhSEWjNWvDkl31Jf_IvwRp-RwaAhOxEALw_wcB

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I just want advice on what system to start with and an ideal upgrade path.
Pics of the room?

Unless you are able to build the room from scratch, the room may drive your speaker selections, especially an Atmos system. You need to figure out the most optimal Atmos set up the room will allow and buy speakers per a plan to maximize the room. Getting the speakers placed properly and maximizing your subwoofer budget are the two biggest keys to Atmos nirvana, IMO.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts