AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first HT and wanted advise on choosing a receiver. I'm on a limited budget and decided to go with Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II and CS2 Series II for a really good price. I will hopefully get the Monitor 70's in the near future and a BIC F12 to complete the 5.1 but need help choosing a decent receiver. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 S connected via HDMI to my Samsung PN50C550. I've searched for some good deals around the internet and found these:

Pioneer VSX-820-K $209.99

Pioneer VSX-821-K less than $329.99 (actual price not listed until checkout)

Pioneer VSX-921-K $300

For my setup, will the 820 be enough or should I just get the 821 or 921. I've tried reading the differences between the models but it's really confusing because I don't even know what features I would actually need or use. Any suggestions for other brands/receivers in my price range are welcome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading reviews for the 821 and it seems you can't access the menu through HDMI. Another complaint from reviews is if you connect a sub you have to set your speakers to "small". I assume you lose some quality or the volume is lower/worse than it would without a sub?Is this the same for the 921 or even the 1021? Would it be better to look for something from Denon or other brand in my price range $300-350 (I would consider $400 if the features are worth it or necessary for my setup).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.