AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found it while surfing and it's interesting.

go here to see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Quote:
All three movies now come with new 5.1 sound mixes. As the first two films were recorded in mono surround, new Dolby mixes needed to be created, and the results are impressive. The best of the lot, though, is "Crusade", which was originally recorded in stereo surround. This mix has been upgraded to the type of 5.1 effort you'd expect a modern film to have, with the plane chase sequence a barnstorming delight in terms of speaker-swapping effects.
interesting :)

but the UK version is CUT :p

·
Registered
28,392 Posts
All of the Indy movies were originally mixed in Dolby Surround. They may have had some mono release prints, but their original sound design was certainly not exclusively mono.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Uh oh - no DTS. Guess some of you won't be picking this set up. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
All of the Indy movies were originally mixed in Dolby Surround. They may have had some mono release prints, but their original sound design was certainly not exclusively mono.
I think what they are referring to is the surrounds. Both Raiders and Temple of Doom were originally mixed with Mono Surrounds. Last Crusade however had a Stereo(Split) surround mix with the 70 MM prints

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Check out the IMDB site and you will find ALL 3 films had 70mm stereo 6 channel surround tracks, i expect all 3 to sound superb and DTS might not make a difference in this case because of the age of the films but on modern releases DTS does sound better.

P.S. Jaws in DTS sounded miles better than the Dolby Digital remix job soooooo maybe its all down to who mixes the film rather than always being the format, although i think DTS offers crisper cleaner more transparent sound, more open and full bodied and not just louder.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:
geez.... as if DTs would matter ... these movie were anyway recorded orignally on Dolby Surround
You obviously haven't read enough posts here - just having a little fun.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I did see them all in a true 70mm theater and they all had great 70mm 6 channel sound.It is a bummer that they are not all 2 disc dvds that he once said they where going to be.It is no secret that his studio do's not throw nothing out.,

·
Registered
109 Posts
'Kinda wished I hadn't bought the LD (import) box set now... I guess it has its advantages in a way- -Booklet, lobby cards, etc. I've been looking to get the Indy DVD set for a little while now. The two 'box-sets' should compliment each other. (Plus, there's just a certain good "sound" of an UN-compressed PCM LD soundtrack. However, hearing the new 5.1 mix should be impressive after what I've read.)

-Sam

BTW, nice to meet everyone here...

PS: Josh, your LD forever website has been a favorite of mine for quite awhile. Laserdisc IS only retired LOL! BTW, I finally found and purchased three "Squeeze LD"/anamorphic titles.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiVision99
BTW, I finally found and purchased three "Squeeze LD"/anamorphic titles.
I hope you got T2 THX, IMO, it's the purrr-fect LD. I'm way less impressed with CLIFFHANGER... Best wishes from Laserland!:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Actually, yes, one of the three titles is T2 (My ONLY complaint is the DD soundtrack. Maybe it's just me but it sounds "thin"/bass shy. If it had the soundtrack to back up the picture, IMO, it would be the perfect non-MUSE LD)

The other titles include Cliffhanger (I completely agree w/ you on that one. The most annoying problem with the PQ is the "blue-ish" tint to the picture. The other title is Stargate. Actually, of the three, this is my favorite... Great sound (DD and PCM) and near perfect PQ- -no dropouts/low noise, plus the "16:9" enhancement. I don't want to go over the HT set up here- -see profile (it's humble but looks and sounds good for the money). If you were wondering and if it matters, the RF demod box is an RFD-1... I use it due to the fact that it is more versatile (switching) than the built in one in the Yamaha DSP A-1 amp.

If you don't mind, I'll probably be asking you A LOT of questions regarding LD's. :)

-Sam

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Another person who likes stargate squeeze!

Rach, to make up for not sending it to you earlier, I'll be sending you 3 squeeze movies! I just emailed you!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiVision99
Actually, yes, one of the three titles is T2 (My ONLY complaint is the DD soundtrack. Maybe it's just me but it sounds "thin"/bass shy. If it had the soundtrack to back up the picture, IMO, it would be the perfect non-MUSE LD)

The other titles include Cliffhanger (I completely agree w/ you on that one. The most annoying problem with the PQ is the "blue-ish" tint to the picture. The other title is Stargate. Actually, of the three, this is my favorite...If you don't mind, I'll probably be asking you A LOT of questions regarding LD's. :)

-Sam
Sam, I have STARGATE on Muse LD and it looks really good, a very slight green tint, but it's the most noise-free Muse movie I have. CHAPLIN is close though... The Squeez and Muse came from the same master I'm told.

On my set-up, CLIFFHANGER has some edge halos that more resemble solar flares! It was the same when I played it on my mom's CLD-59 and 51" Hitachi HDTV.

Ask away, I'll give it my best shot.:)

Tony, that e-mail is bouncing around cyberspace. It's not here yet. :)

Guyz, we've hijacked this thread. Maybe we should start our own???

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
DTS might not make a difference
DTS rarely makes a difference period, except to those who've been brainwashed into thinking it does.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyMulder
Grow up ur remarks insult anyone who cares for home cinema quality.
Sorry to go O/T, but I have come around a lot on this issue. I really think now after trying to be objective that, all other factors being equal, DD *can* present a more accurate representation of the original uncompressed sound. The thing is, often all things are not equal and DTS may come across better for a number of reasons. But to suggest that DTS is not superior by default is IMO far from insulting to people who care for home cinema quality, just heresy in many quarters. OK, now that the train has left the tracks you may all curse me for rekindling the DTS/DD debate yet again (even though it was really Terrell and Foxy). :D :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.