Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

In the German HT-Forum ******************

the first European Sharp model has finally been tested!

Thank you ANDY for your hard work and time.

I won't translate all of the comments but will try and mention the most important points:

Equipment used:

Proceed PMDT with PS,Pioneer and Sharp interlaced DVD-Players.

Most important things first :)

The PAL issues have all been solved!!!

The Artefacts with PAL have all gone.

The CIVIC scaler created by Sharp does a perfect job with PAL and NTSC now.

The best results, THIS IS NO JOKE, come from the combination YUV interlaced!! NOT PS,not HTPC, no scaler (for example DUNE Vigatec)...

The tests where made with the Sharp set to Filmmode.

Titanic had such clarity, no motion artifacts, no jaggies........

What the Sharp was showing with PAL was not a optimization but perfection.

The only signal that could improve the quality even more would be a direct feed from 720P!!

BTW.

Native 1 to 1 pixel mapping with HTPC is possible without degradation (RGBHV,RGBS and YUV)

- 7 color temperature selections (directly with remote control)

- colorwheel optimization:(6 Segments x2 RGB ; 150 r.p.s x 2,5 = 5x more Speed /// Protection Time per Color = 1/900 sec. (example DPX 1 = 1/180 sec.).

and so on.......

This looks like a real winner!!!

Cheers

Anthony

:D

·
Registered
819 Posts
Tony,

thanks for the great news! Can you please clarify some points:

They actually fed the projector PAL progressive 576P and that bypassed the internal de-interlacer??

They got a better image through interlaced input than through progressive? What was wrong with the progressive image? Progressive inputs should in theory give a better image...

Did they not try it with Vigatec Dune at 720p?

Computer input with 1:1 pixel mapping is possible with component (VGA) cable?

Thanks again for the information. Keep us posted on how things develop with the PAL model.

Can you (or anybody in the German HT forum) recommend a good/inexpensive place to buy this projector from (in Germany or other places in Europe)?

Cheers,

Hal

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi,

I, like Halcy, would also like to know a cheap place to buy this projector in Europe... Anyone ?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Any chance of the firmware the E version uses showing up in the US? Why should the US projector have problems with PAL while the E version does a perfect job with PAL *and* NTSC?

Anybody know if Sharp plans to incorporate the improvements across the board?

The 1-1 pixel mapping sounds good too.

-dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony-V

The CIVIC scaler created by Sharp does a perfect job with PAL and NTSC now.

The best results, THIS IS NO JOKE, come from the combination YUV interlaced!! NOT PS,not HTPC, no scaler (for example DUNE Vigatec)...

The tests where made with the Sharp set to Filmmode.

Titanic had such clarity, no motion artifacts, no jaggies........

What the Sharp was showing with PAL was not a optimization but perfection.
Using words like "perfection" makes me suspicious. Why would he use Titanic which is a non-anamorphic disc anyway. I guess we'll have to read some more reviews to compare.

I noticed he mentioned that the units are

now coming out quickly so does that mean they really are coming out of the factories in quantity? Is there an official release date?

Anybody know of a price yet? I'm interested in a UK price of course but a German price could be used as a good comparison.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UKdude
Anybody know of a price yet? I'm interested in a UK price of course but a German price could be used as a good comparison.
A German mail order company (reliable, have used them before) is quoting a price of c. 22 500 DEM. Their prices are usually quite competitive.

That equals roughly $10 300 USD or £7,150 pound sterling (with current exchange rates).

That is too expensive for me personally.

If anybody is up to organizing a group purchase, maybe we could get this substantially cheaper?

cheers,

Halcy

PS Then again, we need to see more reviews from people who actually feed the projector with various signals and use a pristine anamorphic transfer (5th element superbit, anyone :)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
ukdude- Here are the release date and pricing for the Australian market which is also getting the E version-

Release date- November 1st

Price- $18,800 RRP Australia Dollars (Approx. $9400US which is cheaper than the US RRP price which is a 1st for a model release overseas :) Ususally they are always more expensive abroad)

Hope this helps,

Spero D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.