AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First off let me apologize for the desperate cry for help here but I really need some expert advice as I am at wits end. I have a budget of about $900 to spend on an AV Receiver.  I have the Pioneer FS52 for my fronts, C22 for Center and B22 for surround. My sub is an SVS PB-2000.

I have the following devices to connect and I do not mind hooking one via ARC to the TV but would like to have all others go through the Receiver:

1. DirecTV

2. Apple TV

3. Blu-ray

4. Xbox 360

5. Xbox One

6. PS4

7. Wii U

Originally I had the Sony DN840 but took it back because it started having HDMI handshake issues with my Sony TV. The sound seemed good but I also had to crank my sub to get it to automatically set its db level to 0 or below.

I returned the DN840 and bought the DN1040 which I thought sounded great, had enough HDMI inputs to connect all my devices however when i put the Receiver in standby you could hear the transformers humming. I could stop the humming by turning off HDMI Control (CEC) but then I lost that function.  I also witnessed some HDMI flickering and based on real user reviews online I see that many complain of this issue.

I decided to pay more for something better hoping that more money = better quality. I now have the Marantz SR5008 but I am noticing that I need to crank the volume higher than the Sony's to get volume, to use the last HDMI port on the back I need to disable HDMI Control (CEC), and the auto set up seems to set my surround speakers louder than my front & center resulting in back speakers overpowering dialogue at times (I know I can manually correct this).

Here is my question:

Based on my situation, speakers, and usage (Mostly TV watching, Movie watching and Video Games) is the Marantz worth the trade off of disabling HDMI control? Is it a better idea to go back to the Sony or are the other better options out there for me in the $900 and under price range? I am open to any brand, just looking for great sounding, great picture and quality.

I am sure many ask questions like this but I sure would appreciate it if someone could help me out. I want to be done with this as its getting frustrating to say the least. In return if you guys ever need advice on apple products, cases, etc.. let me know as thats my area of expertise.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Having gone from a sony to a marantz, I would never go back to the sony. If you can resolve your issues with the marantz receiver, imo it is superior to any sony out there, ES models included.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts