AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HK 235 refurb just blew out, and I've just upgraded to a Denon 1712 7.1...

So I figured I might as well upgrade the whole thing!

Right now I have Athena AS-B2s for fronts, an Athena AS-C1 for center, and 4 Polk R35s for my surrounds. It was an entry level system for an apartment.

Now I have a house with a living room 16x18, open halfway on one side for the kitchen, 8 ft ceilings.

Considering what I'm used to, it won't take much for me to notice a difference. I figure about $1000-$1500 budget.

I saw martin logan motion 10s for $100 a piece, and I'm thinking of getting them as fronts since that's such a great price...but don't want to buy something too cheap...really don't know much about the quality of martin logan's.

Not willing to buy refurb, but open box is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hiya Star,

I'd start by looking at what you don't have... a great subwoofer.

Look at the offerings from HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Epic, CHT... in that order

You haven't implied that you are unhappy with your speakers whatsoever... you just want an improvement in the quality of your system as a whole, right? A great sub can really make a huge difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a sub, it's an old Dayton. I was going to upgrade it before my avr blew out. Maybe I should start there. I just thought the martin logan's were such a great deal that I should jump on it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
They do look like a great deal to me too...

But, the speakers you already have are pretty good looking, as well. And you're not unhappy with then, And you already bought those., Sunk cost.

No offense, but a real sub from HSU, Rrthmik, SVS, etc., would be the part you've never experienced before.. And it may open up your speakers, to only concentrate on 80 hz and up, and do it much better than you've ever heard... so much so that you may not feel the need to upgrade them at all.

The alternative: You upgrade your speakers, and you still don't have any way to reproduce down to ... oh, say 20 hz with authority, and then you decide you need a sub... Just switch the order now, and get the sub first., as you have decent speakers to begin with. That sub... not so much.

this hobby is about how big a smile you can get... the cheaper the better.

Joseph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts