AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning a few different commercial HT subs I have decided to try my hand at my first HT DIY sub.(I made two car audio enclosures for JL subs, but that was back in my high school days now over a decade ago)

I have gotten some grasp on what type of sound and how loud and how low I want/need to go.

I will get into size of room, layout of room, amp choices and enclosures as I progress. I am here to get first things first done.

So I come to the DIY experts to ask my first stage question....which subs in your experience have a sound 'quality' of top level that makes music so rich:

A. Sized 12"-15" only

B. Size of enclosure would ideally be
C. Please list if the driver(s) you reccomend are ideal for ported or sealed enclosures as I am building my box based on my driver.

D. If you could list a ballpark expect to see price for shopping but without names I would appreciate that as well.

For reference, I listen to predominantly motown and classic rock. I like as clean a sound as possible and although I enjoy the internal rumble from output below say 18/20Hz(in movies) that is not as of as much importance as SQ. Then output comes third as anything I build will be capable of goinbg louder than I ever listen to even when maxing out in movie mode.(my eDA5-350 was hardly ever pushed really hard, but I wouldn't mind having as much or more output if wanted)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a consideration, but:

1. Takes away the fun and personal satisfaction of DIY, in my opinion.

2. Is that as good as one can do DIY for around that price point?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

Quote:
That is a consideration, but:

1. Takes away the fun and personal satisfaction of DIY, in my opinion.

When you think about it, it's just as "DIY" as the vast majority of sub projects here in which the only part not bought pre-made is the box. You're buying a driver and amp...like everybody else.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
How much money are you wanting to spend? In 4.5ft sealed, you could fit two SDX-15's (15" drivers). From there, you could get a PLX3602 (Pro-amp), bassis (adjustable LT circuit), and eq.

Or, you could tone it down by 1/3 that price. 3.25-3.75ft sealed, single SDX-15, EP2500 (cheap pro-amp), and eq. Or if you like the ported sound, you could bump that box size up as big as you can comfortably go and use passive radiators instead of a port.

You could easily use different drivers, for example, some of the offerings by Parts Express or even some of those NHT closeout 10's that are 20.00 each.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fatawan and Jack Gilvey....you guys are right, I thought those came with boxes built already as well.

Looneybomber......Your second option seems up my alley. I'm not sure a NHT 10 is capable of the level I'd like to reach...which is the same ballpark as my old A5-350.

(can give up some output and it doesn't need to go quite as low...but if it ends up louder and lower so be it)

Anyother good options for drivers besides the Rythmik and SDX?(budget for just the 12" or 15" driver is up to $200)

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/14189857

Looneybomber......Your second option seems up my alley. I'm not sure a NHT 10 is capable of the level I'd like to reach...which is the same ballpark as my old A5-350.

(can give up some output and it doesn't need to go quite as low...but if it ends up louder and lower so be it)

Anyother good options for drivers besides the Rythmik and SDX?(budget for just the 12" or 15" driver is up to $200)

With the NHT 10's, you'd want to use multiples, say 4 of them, depending on the output you're wanting..

The SDX is 260.00 shipped to the US, so that's already higher than you wanted. EP2500 is 300 shipped and a nice EQ can be had for 150shipped (not ebay prices!). Though eD's 2 band eq can be had for 65 shipped.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the EP2500 pretty much the universally reccomended amp for smaller diy's? Or are there other comparable options for same price or less?

If so that will help me with a concrete number for at least one part of my build.

I don't want 4 drivers as the box would most likely have to be too long, or at least I'm guessing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Unless your going to come up with some inovative porting scheme? I'd buy a kit every time. But, I have to admit, I get no enjoyment from the DIY process, only the end result(s).

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
The EP2500 isn't the only option, but at $300 shipped for 1600w of clean power, the price can't be beat. Though factor in another ~$10 for a new (quieter) fan.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, in your guys experience can a EP2500 with a Rythmik, SDX, TC Sounds, or Kappa Perfect compare to say a MFW-15 or A5-350? Since they would be about the same price after build is finished.

I was hoping for ~$500 bills or less to compare to those two subs in performance, not necc. looks.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/14190739

Well, in your guys experience can a EP2500 with a Rythmik, SDX, TC Sounds, or Kappa Perfect compare to say a MFW-15 or A5-350? Since they would be about the same price after build is finished.

I was hoping for ~$500 bills or less to compare to those two subs in performance, not necc. looks.

Well you could always buy two 16Ov.2's (the driver used in the A5-350), the EP2500 and eD's eQ.2. That'd be a tad under $700 shipped, plus enclosure costs and you'd have the equivilent of two A5-350s, but with a better EQ and more wattage.

*edit* whoops, I forgot about your box size limitations. I was imagining kind'a big, ported box for that. Sealed can work too though with those drivers.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, are the 16Ov.2's not considered on their own to be of the quality of the drivers I listed above?

The eQ.2 is enough for my needs.

The EP 2500 is good, I was just hoping their would be some alternatives to choose from as well...like a bash amp or an LT amp.(svs-eD) Or something else.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The EP 2500 is good, I was just hoping their would be some alternatives to choose from as well...like a bash amp or an LT amp.(svs-eD) Or something else.

LT/1300 is a good choice for a plate amp...$350 shipped is a good price too.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I like plate amps with built in EQ

Any plate amps with good EQs?

The LT/1300 only has crossover and 25Hz boost. eD told me the LT/1300 does not have a SFF either.

The Dayton 1000w plate amp has a crossover dial and one EQ band that we can tweak, the dayton also as a 18Hz SSF hard wired.

·
Registered
530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/14190739

And EP2500 isn't really an option for Rythmik. If you go the Rythmik route you are going to be using their amp and driver (the whole reason for doing it -- it's a servo system).

I just finished mine and it sounds fantastic (it's awesome for music and sounds very clean - no sloppy bass). The Rythmik kit might be slightly above your price goal ($499 for 15" for the driver + amp).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts