Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I almost have enough money to get me a nice subwoofer.

I was looking on bestbuy web site and i found this sub. it has a good price range for my budget. The brand is Yamaha 8" 120-Watt Powered Subwoofer #Model: YST-SW215. Its gonna be in my room thats why its a 8" only. my room is kinda small.

anyway enough with that here is my question. Will this do the job? and has anyone in here played with this sub or bought it? i went to bestbuy i ask a enployee and ask him if i can test it . it sounded pretty good if u ask me. my receiver is a rca 350 watts i have

a 120 watt speakers thats include L C R . there it is. I would like here your thoughts on that sub that i might get.

thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
what do you mean by do the job? I have 2 of them and I am easily piss off the guy above me with my subs. They are a bargain at $99 and I seriously doubt you can do better at that price point. My whole setup is yamaha and it rocks.

The subs are rated at 120W or 150W (yamaha) and that is 50% more power than the dayton sub rated at 100W.

I have had my 215s for about 2 years now and my oldest sub is a Yamaha YST-SW60 that is over 12 years old.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
www.Partsexpress.com Dayton 10" sub for $100 or 12" for $140.

Is that B stock? as their warranty is through them instead of Dayton? I smell something funny when something lists for $229 and they sell it for less than half that price

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
what do you mean by do the job? I have 2 of them and I am easily piss off the guy above me with my subs. They are a bargain at $99 and I seriously doubt you can do better at that price point. My whole setup is yamaha and it rocks.

The subs are rated at 120W or 150W (yamaha) and that is 50% more power than the dayton sub rated at 100W.

I have had my 215s for about 2 years now and my oldest sub is a Yamaha YST-SW60 that is over 12 years old.
Without a common reference, you can't tell anything from comparing the amp power. 150w @ what thd? 4 ohm or 8 ohm? At what frequency range? How efficient are the respective drivers? Add to that the fact that in order to achieve a 3 dB change in output, you need to DOUBLE the amp power - and you've really got nuthin'.

Yamaha doesn't provide ANY specs for their subs that are meaningful. The fact that they only claim response down to 30 hz for the YST-SW215 and they don't give a +/- db rating makes me think it may have very little output at even 30 hz! Put two of them in a small room's corners, and I'm sure they will boom at 40 hz - but that isn't close to what has been reported for the Dayton.

I suggest you do some forum searches on the Dayton 10" (also known as the "Tiny Mitey") and the new 12" before you start questioning what you smell...

Plot the frequency response and max SPL @ 25 Hz, and then we'll have some basis for comparison. ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Plot the frequency response and max SPL @ 25 Hz, and then we'll have some basis for comparison.
I'm still waiting for that info on the new 12'' Dayton. Oh, and don't forget about bandwidth uniformity and distortion values.

Ian :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.