AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon to be moving and will finally have a place where I put a quality system. I have been reading a lot on these forums and I think I have a decent idea of what I want.

I hope to have a dual purpose system but I care more about the experience and quality when it comes to music. I do not have exact dimensions but the room is on the small side of medium. I am no audiophile but I know and can appreciate quality builds/sound. My budget is $1000.

My current plan:

Receiver: Onkyo NR509

Mains: Monitor 70 Series II

Center: CS2 Series II

Rears: Monitor 30 Series II

Newegg total: $925 shipped.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to demo units so I am going to rely on the advice and feedback I get in these forums. I hope to hear that you think I will be happy with the system but any further advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have you considered focusing on going with a 3-channel setup first? For a music focus, the surround channels aren't a major concern and just burn into you budget. IMO, I'd aim for the best L/C/R setup you can get for your budget and add items down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, I have considered starting with 2.0/2.1 and upgrading from there. I guess my big concern would be reaching the goal of a dual purpose (music, video) system without going too crazy with the overall cost. From what I have read so far, most people seem to agree that the Monitor 70s offer good bang-for-your-buck value. I feel at this point that I would definitely be comfortable with the cost of the 70s ($179 ea) and I may even just start with a 2.0 with the 70s.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I do really like the Monitor 70s however you are missing a subwoofer. I feel subs are so very important for home theater.

If you have no problem with expanding later... Id get a nicer set of polks with a good sub.

edit: I am suggesting a 2.1 setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Vincenzo88,

i am into music too.you may like Jamo c607 with c-60 center/surrounds.

its great for music with/without sub.

i am having c607 5.1 system.simply great.

just my comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. If I do end up going with the Polk 70s would the 10" sub be enough or is the 12" really worth the extra money ($99 vs $249)?

What I have read about the Jamo C607 speakers sounds good but they are a lot more money. I am worried that I would need an expensive amp to really hear the Jamo speakers. Should I be looking more into amps regardless of what speaker I choose?

Will these sound bad in a smaller room?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have not heard Jamo so I cannot answer questions about how they sound. However you do not need an expensive amp just because a speaker is large/expensive. Receivers are purchased based on what features you need out of it. Speakers will work at any volume, some better than others.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo88
Thanks for the advice. If I do end up going with the Polk 70s would the 10" sub be enough or is the 12" really worth the extra money ($99 vs $249)?

What I have read about the Jamo C607 speakers sounds good but they are a lot more money. I am worried that I would need an expensive amp to really hear the Jamo speakers. Should I be looking more into amps regardless of what speaker I choose?

Will these sound bad in a smaller room?
Polk makes some very nice speakers. The one thing they don't do so well is make subwoofers. I would stay away from Polk subwoofers. Since you asked about a 10'' vs a 12'' I would recommend a 12'' sub if you can afford it. The Bic F12 is very affordable. They can often be purchased on Amazon for around $200. Bic also makes some other very affordable subs besides the F12.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
HSU http://hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html $149 + $23 shipping = 172*2 = $344

and http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html $399 + $45 shipping = $444

$708 for speakers and a good sub-

add your 509 AVR you might be a little over budget but you'd have a much better system to build off of.

I run a 2.1 currently and it's fine for movies for now. Eventually I'll be adding a center and surrounds but you'd be surprised at how good a 2.1 can sound.

Gene

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62
HSU http://hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html $149 + $23 shipping = 172*2 = $344

and http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html $399 + $45 shipping = $444

$708 for speakers and a good sub-

add your 509 AVR you might be a little over budget but you'd have a much better system to build off of.

I run a 2.1 currently and it's fine for movies for now. Eventually I'll be adding a center and surrounds but you'd be surprised at how good a 2.1 can sound.

Gene
This is probably a naive assumption but I cannot help but wonder if I am sacrificing imaging and sound stage for a more compact size? The speakers are actually cheaper than the Polk 70s.

Also, I have heard that the horns are not as smooth as a good silk tweeter. Loudness is not important to me.

What would you pair the HSU speakers with to get to 5.1?

·
Registered
10,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo88 /forum/post/20800149

This is probably a naive assumption but I cannot help but wonder if I am sacrificing imaging and sound stage for a more compact size? The speakers are actually cheaper than the Polk 70s.

Also, I have heard that the horns are not as smooth as a good silk tweeter. Loudness is not important to me.

What would you pair the HSU speakers with to get to 5.1?

The reviews on them are very good. A search of the forums show that owners are very satisfied as well. I don't currently have them but they will likely be my choice for a new HT I am building in a new house.

As for surrounds I'm just going to use some easily wall mountable speakers like these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_773EVO4...search=tangent

I don't think the surrounds need to match the fronts for movies or gaming. I don't care for 5.1 music. Of course everyone is different.

Gene

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Id like to suggest that you look at the Wharfedale Evo 2-30 from www.musicdirect.com and then go look at the marantz 5005 or onkyo 708 from www.accessories4less.com

Start off with a good musical 2.0 system and receiver and build slowly. I'd also suggest getting the matching center channel ASAP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for great responses guys, I really appreciate the input.

The more I read about the HSU HB-1 MKII the more I think that I would like them. I am really leaning towards them right now.

Is it worth it to go all out with a 5.1 HSU package? I really only care about high quality when it comes to music. I understand that a well matched center is probably worth it but the three additional HSU speakers would put me up another $500 (unless I saved $50 with a package deal).

I am thinking now of taking Gene's advice and going with the 2.1 HSU to start:

HSU HB-1 MKII ($149 ea)

HSU VTF-1 ($399)

Still the Onkyo NR509

Later upgrade with more HSU??

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Be sure to report back how you like them!

·
Registered
10,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/20804705

Be sure to report back how you like them!

Ditto! I'm all ears on this one.

Gene

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I don't put much stock in user reviews...they tend to be very positive, even for crappy products. Now, if the reviews are decidely negative, then...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts