AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

(This is the first time I've ever joined a forum or any kind. I apologize if I am posting incorrectly)

That said, I am very new to anything AV, but I have been researching back and forth for almost two weeks trying to get just a basic idea of what I'm about to embark upon.

Purpose:

Watching Films and TV Series / Casual Gaming (60/40)

Room dimensions: -Unable to currently upload photo due to low post count.-

142" Width
80" Height
13'/14 Length.... I'm going to build a wall behind to box it off because it's an open basement. I believe I will go back 13'/14'

Projection: *Budget 2k* - First projector - New Journey

I ordered the UHD50X off of Amazon (Is shopping off of Amazon considered blasphemy/ill advised?)... but I am having considerable doubts with this purchase and may simply return it, but wanted to get input from the forum.

--I really want the Epson 5050UB and I know that is what many recommend, but it's honestly just too far out of the price range. I am going to be financing this purchase and 18m/o 0% interest with $115/m payments is really all I can afford.-- this is why I went through Amazon in the first place.

I did look at the Optima UHD60 as well and thought maybe a couple of hundred dollars more might be the better choice. I would be fine going lower in price if there is something that you feel would suit me better.

I am going with the Spandex 130"/140" DIY Screen that was serith created with the help of MississippiMan

This being said, I do realize that the viewing distance is no in line with THX standard and I should ideally be back around 15'/18'
I ordered the projector to get an idea of what would be ideal for me and my wife viewing wise.

Any thoughts on the space, projection, size, audio would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Patrick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Adding in photo

Attachments

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,435 Posts
Good day everyone,

(This is the first time I've ever joined a forum or any kind. I apologize if I am posting incorrectly)

That said, I am very new to anything AV, but I have been researching back and forth for almost two weeks trying to get just a basic idea of what I'm about to embark upon.

Purpose:

Watching Films and TV Series / Casual Gaming (60/40)

Room dimensions: -Unable to currently upload photo due to low post count.-

142" Width
80" Height
13'/14 Length.... I'm going to build a wall behind to box it off because it's an open basement. I believe I will go back 13'/14'

Projection: *Budget 2k* - First projector - New Journey

I ordered the UHD50X off of Amazon (Is shopping off of Amazon considered blasphemy/ill advised?)... but I am having considerable doubts with this purchase and may simply return it, but wanted to get input from the forum.

--I really want the Epson 5050UB and I know that is what many recommend, but it's honestly just too far out of the price range. I am going to be financing this purchase and 18m/o 0% interest with $115/m payments is really all I can afford.-- this is why I went through Amazon in the first place.

I did look at the Optima UHD60 as well and thought maybe a couple of hundred dollars more might be the better choice. I would be fine going lower in price if there is something that you feel would suit me better.

I am going with the Spandex 130"/140" DIY Screen that was serith created with the help of MississippiMan

This being said, I do realize that the viewing distance is no in line with THX standard and I should ideally be back around 15'/18'
I ordered the projector to get an idea of what would be ideal for me and my wife viewing wise.

Any thoughts on the space, projection, size, audio would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Patrick
I don't think there's any point to have a nice big 135" screen if you're sitting 15 to 18 feet back. Especially as 4K becomes more popular and wide spread you'll need to sit far closer to benefit from it. Even sitting 12 feet back from a 135" screen is too far back in my opinion. I'm 7 feet from a 135" but I have a native 4K projector so it's much more important to sit closer to benefit from the 4K.

The other thing to consider is that in a room that's 13 feet long, you have from the wall to the front of the projector (another 18" or so) so that leave you only 11 feet of throw. That may not be enough to get a 135" screen. If possible you may want to build a projector hole in that back wall so that the projector can be mounted in the other room and shine through the wall so that you have the full throw from the wall to the screen for screen size.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Your width and length are similar to my room. You should be able to do about 115" 2.35:1 widescreen or 110" 16x9 from that distance. I sit about 10 feet back from a 115" widescreen and have no issues with the viewing angle at this distance. I had the UHD60 and it was a good starter projector, but you definitely want to step up to the Epson 5050 or Benq 5550 if you can. You may also want to see if you can find a deal on a refurb Epson 5040 as I understand they are a great value as well, if you can find one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there's any point to have a nice big 135" screen if you're sitting 15 to 18 feet back. Especially as 4K becomes more popular and wide spread you'll need to sit far closer to benefit from it. Even sitting 12 feet back from a 135" screen is too far back in my opinion. I'm 7 feet from a 135" but I have a native 4K projector so it's much more important to sit closer to benefit from the 4K.

The other thing to consider is that in a room that's 13 feet long, you have from the wall to the front of the projector (another 18" or so) so that leave you only 11 feet of throw. That may not be enough to get a 135" screen. If possible you may want to build a projector hole in that back wall so that the projector can be mounted in the other room and shine through the wall so that you have the full throw from the wall to the screen for screen size.
Thank you for your input and I do agree that I'm not wanting to build the room out too far, this is a somewhat "Finished" basement but I am going to redo the whole thing and starting with building the theatre room. I've just never had a projector and really want to go bigger than be disappointed and that's why I ordered the projector and will just do a few setups from those distances 8ft/10ft seating to see how it feels to us. That being said, I may still extend the room out to 14'+ to accomedate more seating I am thinking a "6 platform for another seating area. With 8ft ceilings I didn't want to go too high with it.
Here is the throw calculator for this current projector... which I may swap out.

Attachments

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,435 Posts
Thank you for your input and I do agree that I'm not wanting to build the room out too far, this is a somewhat "Finished" basement but I am going to redo the whole thing and starting with building the theatre room. I've just never had a projector and really want to go bigger than be disappointed and that's why I ordered the projector and will just do a few setups from those distances 8ft/10ft seating to see how it feels to us. That being said, I may still extend the room out to 14'+ to accomedate more seating I am thinking a "6 platform for another seating area. With 8ft ceilings I didn't want to go too high with it.
Here is the throw calculator for this current projector... which I may swap out.
My ceilings are only 4" taller than yours at 84" and I have a 10" and 18" platform (3 rows). You could do a 12" platform no problem people are aware they might have to duck to go find their seat its no biggie. Once seated there's tons of headroom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your width and length are similar to my room. You should be able to do about 115" 2.35:1 widescreen or 110" 16x9 from that distance. I sit about 10 feet back from a 115" widescreen and have no issues with the viewing angle at this distance. I had the UHD60 and it was a good starter projector, but you definitely want to step up to the Epson 5050 or Benq 5550 if you can. You may also want to see if you can find a deal on a refurb Epson 5040 as I understand they are a great value as well, if you can find one.
I would definitely love to start with either the Epson 5050 or Benq 5550 it's just not in the cards right now and I have actually looked to see about getting the 5040, but there aren't any refurb currently being sold by Epson. Not sure how frequently that changes.
This is the torment of buying I have with almost anything... At first I was looking at under 1k... but then I feel like if I'm going to invest it should be in something better so I up my range 1.5k to 2k and then I just see that I'm looking at stuff that is better but still doesn't quite hit the mark.
It's a rabbit hole of hell. haha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My ceilings are only 4" taller than yours at 84" and I have a 10" and 18" platform (3 rows). You could do a 12" platform no problem people are aware they might have to duck to go find their seat its no biggie. Once seated there's tons of headroom
Oh.... you definitely have given me something to think about then. haha I will do a 10" platform then. Depending on how far back I decide to go I could add in another platform. How deep is your theater room?

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Oh.... you definitely have given me something to think about then. haha I will do a 10" platform then. Depending on how far back I decide to go I could add in another platform. How deep is your theater room?
My room is 12 1/2 x 21. I sit in front row at 7 feet. Originally I had just two rows with the front row being about 14 feet back. But when I went to 4K I redid everything so I could actually benefit from 4K and ended up 7 feet from the screen. It’s awesome and very immersive. My dad is a “sit in the back of the theater” guy. Every time he comes in he seems to forget and always says “that will be too close”. But I tell him to try anyway and every time he seems to admit that it was great. Screen feels huge. That’s why I got a theater anyway lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My room is 12 1/2 x 21. I sit in front row at 7 feet. Originally I had just two rows with the front row being about 14 feet back. But when I went to 4K I redid everything so I could actually benefit from 4K and ended up 7 feet from the screen. It’s awesome and very immersive. My dad is a “sit in the back of the theater” guy. Every time he comes in he seems to forget and always says “that will be too close”. But I tell him to try anyway and every time he seems to admit that it was great. Screen feels huge. That’s why I got a theater anyway lol.
That's awesome to hear, I am a middle row, middle seat kind of person. I am more likely to want to move back than forward if I can't get the middle rows but I'm really happy to know that I can have this big screen and enjoy it at 4k, though not native.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek: Thank you for sending me that link and that is a pretty nice deal, although I didn't see any kind of finance option which is what I am needing right now, unless I missed something...
If it was just the projector I might be able to swing it, but I have to get the materials for the theater room itself. Wood, drywall, sound proofing materials, DIY Screen, carpet, lights, and electrical wiring, and a couch... :confused:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
:eek: Thank you for sending me that link and that is a pretty nice deal, although I didn't see any kind of finance option which is what I am needing right now, unless I missed something...
If it was just the projector I might be able to swing it, but I have to get the materials for the theater room itself. Wood, drywall, sound proofing materials, DIY Screen, carpet, lights, and electrical wiring, and a couch... :confused:
Maybe you can use Paypal credit or something for this purchase.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe you can use Paypal credit or something for this purchase.
That's a good point and I believe I could do that, however I am curious of a few things. Would you suggest the 5040 over the the Optima UHD60? The price is about $700 more of course... but it's new and has 10,000h/r lamp life as to the 5k for the 5040ub. The latency of course is much better on the 5040 as well. Do you think the performance of the 5040 is still much better than the UHD60? Maybe for the extra $700 saved it's negligible in it's difference. I guess my only fear is that I get the refurbished and the bulb goes out before that 5k life because it's been used or there is some type of issue, warranty and so on. Apologies for my nativity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely would take the 5040 over the UHD60, hands down no question about it. I wouldn't focus too much on bulb life. These bulbs will last for many years and by then, you will probably want to upgrade anyway.
Thank you for your help and advice. I will have to debate what it is I want or should do. I get in my head with this stuff...I feel like the 5050UB is what I want, but it is out of reach. I will keep you posted on what I decide to do and will come back upon further construction of the theater room to get advice!

Thank you both, again,

Patrick

Reactions: m0j0

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
All I can do is give my perspective when I first did this.......

All the choices were monumental and quibbled over projector specs for months.

In the end, any 600 or $700 plus projector in a dark room with surround sound will be excellent compared to not/never having one before........

Bulb life is a important question for some......you might use it 10 hours a week or 16 hours a day.....I am on my third bulb in 3 years due to 16 hours a day usage.

Some people sit 6 feet from a 150 inch screen..........no screen is too big if it fits and you like it.....with the spandex screen, what i also have, making it smaller is easy and costs nothing.

I stated with a used set of 100 buck recliners a 600 buck projector.......its way way way way better than no theater....do some projectors out perform mine, sure but having one VS none outperforms every time.

I would not stress over any of those projectors,..they all look acceptable.......if you want to put the little differences in perspective go look at some real 20k priced projectors and you will see all these specs are minutia compared to that.

If I could change anything about my first theater would be the time quibbling on minutia of specs and minor variances......

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
@unretarded makes some great points! I started with a 1080p projector, a couch and some headphones, projecting onto a bare wall, and it was pretty cool! Eventually, I bought a Silver Ticket screen and upgraded to the UHD60, and got some surround sound speakers and receiver, and then eventually upgraded and replaced everything over time. However, knowing what I know now, it would have probably been better if I had a plan and knew something about this stuff going in, but if you can't make up your mind or if you are limited to a certain budget, or whatever, the point is don't let it stop you from moving forward and getting something in place. You can always upgrade later, and you will anyway, believe me!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I can do is give my perspective when I first did this.......

All the choices were monumental and quibbled over projector specs for months.

In the end, any 600 or $700 plus projector in a dark room with surround sound will be excellent compared to not/never having one before........

Bulb life is a important question for some......you might use it 10 hours a week or 16 hours a day.....I am on my third bulb in 3 years due to 16 hours a day usage.

Some people sit 6 feet from a 150 inch screen..........no screen is too big if it fits and you like it.....with the spandex screen, what i also have, making it smaller is easy and costs nothing.

I stated with a used set of 100 buck recliners a 600 buck projector.......its way way way way better than no theater....do some projectors out perform mine, sure but having one VS none outperforms every time.

I would not stress over any of those projectors,..they all look acceptable.......if you want to put the little differences in perspective go look at some real 20k priced projectors and you will see all these specs are minutia compared to that.

If I could change anything about my first theater would be the time quibbling on minutia of specs and minor variances......
All great points and thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I believe you are completely right in all your statements. I think in the end I will have to decide if 4k/60htz is something that's important enough for the first purchase or if I can be fine without until the price drops on the 5050 or of course if the tech continues to grow in that area and more options will certainly come available.

Right now I will unbox this uhd50x that's coming in this afternoon (assuming I can return it without issue) and get an idea for how I want to build my room out / distance and just see how it all looks and works for the space. I know that the throw distance will be a little different depending on the projector but I believe the 5040 and the 5050 both have a similar throw so I will have that to take into consideration, but mainly how far back will be comfortable for me to view 4k content. We may or may not have a second stimulus check that I could use to aid me in getting a 5050 if all things otherwise are good financially.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The main thing to look for when testing out the Optoma is whether you can live with the black levels. That is the main reason I switched from the UHD60 to the Sony 695ES.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts