AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I purchased our first home last October. I bought it as a forecloser, and completely remodeled pretty much everything, except the basement. The basement at one point in time was finished. However since the house was foreclosed on, the electricity was shut off, and the basement flooded since there was no way to power the sump pumps. My neighbor told me there was three feet of water in the basement, and that the bank hired a crew to come in and completely rip out the whole interior of the basement down to the studs.

So here we are today....

Not sure how to post pictures so they are not thumbnails....but you can get the drift.


The first picture on the left shows where I want to put my screen wall. The width of the room from the concrete wall on the right to the stud where the stairs are is about 15' 6". Im not sure the length of the room, as my tape measure wouldn't go that far..but I would say its well over 40 feet long

This is my first HT build, so I am trying to learn as much as I can along the way.

First and foremost, I have to fix a couple of hairline cracks I have in my foundation walls. After getting some quotes for over $700.00, to inject epoxy into 2 cracks. I have decided to do it my self, to the tune of a little less than $200.00

As you can see my room isnt very wide..If I didn't have the stairs there I would get another 10 feet or so...but ohh well.

My idea is to build a false wall for my screen wall, with an AT screen. I am still trying to figure out how I can do this, while still being able to get access behind the wall easily to get to electrical box, and sump pump that is in the corner.

So basically at this point I am open for ideas. I need to be able to get the box, and the sump pump in case of service, or emergency. So any ideas would be more than appreciated.

The same goes for my ceiling. I believe the previous owners had a drop ceiling. I really don't want to do a drop ceiling, as it lacks some the soundproofing abilities that drywall has. Any suggestions? As you can see in the 3rd pick I have some HVAC jumpers on the left hand side they run down to the end of the basement and go to the vents on the 1st floor.

Is even doing a drywall ceiling in my situation possible? I have the hvac ducting on the left, and some conduit running under the beams to the box...again any suggestions are more than welcome.

That's it so far. I am looking for some ideas on here, and suggestions. I want to get this all drawn out on paper before I purchase anything......


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
I would start by posting a floorplan with reasonably accurate dimensions, then you'll probably get more ideas flowing from others here.


A good place to start is defining what your goals are - for example, how many people (seats) do you want to accommodate (ideally)? is sound isolation a goal (how loud do you want to play, at what hours; how close are neighbors; any loud sounds outside you'll need to keep out; what rooms are adjacent/above; how many other occupants in the house, and what time do they go to bed when you'd want to use the HT; etc.)? planning a front projector? If so, can you go for dark colors and full light control? how loud do you like to listen? is the entire basement available for the HT, or just a part of it? If all, you have some nice space for AT screen, equipment room, infinite baffle subwoofer if you desire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19620307


I would start by posting a floorplan with reasonably accurate dimensions, then you'll probably get more ideas flowing from others here.


A good place to start is defining what your goals are - for example, how many people (seats) do you want to accommodate (ideally)? is sound isolation a goal (how loud do you want to play, at what hours; how close are neighbors; any loud sounds outside you'll need to keep out; what rooms are adjacent/above; how many other occupants in the house, and what time do they go to bed when you'd want to use the HT; etc.)? planning a front projector? If so, can you go for dark colors and full light control? how loud do you like to listen? is the entire basement available for the HT, or just a part of it? If all, you have some nice space for AT screen, equipment room, infinite baffle subwoofer if you desire.

I would like to have two rows of three seats, with one riser. I would like to do a decent amount of sound isolation..double drywall with green glue...I am open for some more suggestions about sound isolation. I do not have TONS of money to spend, but I am always ope to suggestions. My neighbors house is about 30 feet from my house, plus being in the basement should help with sound escaping. Not really worried about the neighbors, no issues with sound outside. The only people in my home right now are my wife and I. We want kids one day, but for now its my wife and I. I don't want to go crazy with the sound isolation. I can for sure go for dark color paint scheme, with complete light control. For my sound system, I am prob going the cheaper route as I don't want to spend more than a grand for my sound system....

I can post some scale drawings of the layout right now...But the theater space is roughly 15 6'' wide, by 40 something feet long.....the basement is kinda shaped like a L...I am open to all suggestions...Like I said I want to do an at screen, and still be able to access my electrical box and subs...the issues with hvac and ceiling leave me perplexed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
If you can decouple the framing, add insulation, double 5/8" drywall and then damp the drywall, you're well on your way. After that, doors and ventilation are the areas needing decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone have any opinions or suggestions on my two issues.


1. Building a screen wall in front of my electrical box, and sump pump. Being able to have a way to access the box, and the pump easily once the screen wall is up.


2. Is doing a drywall ceiling even possible with my ducts running they way they are, and with the electrical conduit run on the bottom side of the floor beams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
You can drop down drywall atachment points. It's just a matter of what the overall plan is with respect to soundproofing / no soundproofing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/19621877


You can drop down drywall atachment points. It's just a matter of what the overall plan is with respect to soundproofing / no soundproofing

A drop down drywall ceiling? I have never heard of that before. I am looking for moderate soundproofing, as I will not have the loudest sounds system. Kinda in between. I don't want to go all out, but I don't want nothing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
Standard drywall ceiling with furring to drop the framing below the pipes and conduit is what I meant. Nothing unusual.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedin /forum/post/19621766


anyone have any opinions or suggestions on my two issues.


1. Building a screen wall in front of my electrical box, and sump pump. Being able to have a way to access the box, and the pump easily once the screen wall is up.


2. Is doing a drywall ceiling even possible with my ducts running they way they are, and with the electrical conduit run on the bottom side of the floor beams.

Lets see the overall measured floor plan of the basement. Are you sure you have to put your screen wall there? Incorporating an electrical panel and sump pump in a screen wall and stage has been done. Access to the electrical panel is the trickiest and that is why if you have options I would consider them. One builder mounted his screen on a top hinge so it lifted up out of the way for access but I don't consider it very convenient.


Yes you can drywall. But first I want to talk about the criminal act on the part of your HVAC guy who did those two joist to joist jumpers in the very middle of the room (see the top of picture #1). It was either a mistake and they took the quickest way to fix it or they were basically lazy in designing your system. Either way I wager there is a fix. But without more information and pictures it would be hard to come up with a plan.


The ducts near the beam can be tucked in a soffit. Wires are not an issue. Just run furring perpendicular to the joists bringing the ceiling down and inch. Also I can see in the picture that those ducts would benefit from some re-taping.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,172 Posts
I was studying your post some more and I started to wonder if the reason the ceiling is painted has to do with the standing water in the basement.


Did they give you an explanation? I have a nagging thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19622086


I was studying your post some more and I started to wonder if the reason the ceiling is painted has to do with the standing water in the basement.


Did they give you an explanation? I have nagging idea.


Yes the reason why all the joists are painted is because it flooded. The bank ripped out all the drywall, carpet, ect... To control the mold they sprayed everything.... I already had my basement inspected by a company, and they state there is no mold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19622027


Lets see the overall measured floor plan of the basement. Are you sure you have to put your screen wall there? Incorporating an electrical panel and sump pump in a screen wall and stage has been done. Access to the electrical panel is the trickiest and that is why if you have options I would consider them. One builder mounted his screen on a top hinge so it lifted up out of the way for access but I don't consider it very convenient.


Yes you can drywall. But first I want to talk about the criminal act on the part of your HVAC guy who did those two joist to joist jumpers in the very middle of the room (see the top of picture #1). It was either a mistake and they took the quickest way to fix it or they were basically lazy in designing your system. Either way I wager there is a fix. But without more information and pictures it would be hard to come up with a plan.


The ducts near the beam can be tucked in a soffit. Wires are not an issue. Just run furring perpendicular to the joists bringing the ceiling down and inch. Also I can see in the picture that those ducts would benefit from some re-taping.

Before I respond, I have to say your build thread is by far one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. I hope mine turns out 1/4 as nice as yours.

Anyways, back to my soon to be never ending build...

I want put put the screen wall there because like I said my basement is shaped like an L...its about 15.5 wide from the staircase to the wall. From there it goes back about 40 feet, then it goes to the right so its shaped like an L..If I put the screen wall on the other side....to the right there will basically be another room room as that is the way my basement is shaped.

I will draw out some plans tonight and post them, as it is hard for me to describe.

Plus I want to be able to have a bar top right behind my second row seating, so that I can use the theater for other things besides just movies...It just makes more sense having the screen wall on this side of the basement.


I will take some more pics of the ceiling......and the ducts....your right that jumper is in a awful spot..I will take a pic of that too..

I want to start framing the walls soon. So for now making decisions on the ceiling, and access to sump pump and box is the #1 priority..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a hvac guy coming over this week, to take a look at the ducting. If you look at the pics, you can see there are two jumpers located right in the middle of the basement. I was looking at it today, and it doesn't look like anything can be moved, as one of them are for my upstairs return. I really don't want to do a drop ceiling but it looks like it might be my only option. I don't have tall ceiling clearance. My joists are at 8ft, so having a drop ceiling I would loose a whole foot. I will post some pics later tonight when I get home from work.


Anyone know what the requirements are for closing up windows? (code). I have 7 windows in the basment, and would like to close up as many as possible. How many is considered safe for fire escape?



I did get the foundation cracks repaired though so that's a step in the right direction. Insulation and framing will hopefully start Jan 2nd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,510 Posts
First thing would be a battery back up'ed sump. And maybe a back up sump pump in case the original fails.


Can the "jumpers" in the middle of the basement be relocated one joist bay over?


If you have lots of length, why not build a storage room up front? Takes the sump pump, 3 front windows and the electrical panel right out of the theater. Frame in a full height door to the left of the stairs, and duck under the stair landing for access.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/19681762


First thing would be a battery back up'ed sump. And maybe a back up sump pump in case the original fails.


Can the "jumpers" in the middle of the basement be relocated one joist bay over?


If you have lots of length, why not build a storage room up front? Takes the sump pump, 3 front windows and the electrical panel right out of the theater. Frame in a full height door to the left of the stairs, and duck under the stair landing for access.

The jumpers cannot be relocated. I forgot to take my camera this morning with me to work!!!!

There are three ducts that run right next to each other. I had a hvac guy come take a look at it today and he confirmed that they most likely can't be moved. I was thinking about getting some flex duct and moving the two jumpers as close to each other as possible. Then frame an enclosure that would also hold my projector.


For the ducting on the left side... I am going move the gas line that is next to the ducting. Tucking it as close to the beam as possible, so the ducting can be moved closer to the beam. This will allow me to have a soffit that is around 12" wide, rather than over 2 feet.


I will post close up pics tonight.


As far as the ability to gain access behind the wall...I need something that my wife would be able to do if I wasn't home. I don't think that I could convince her to get on her hands and knees and crawl on the floor to get to the electrical box. I was thinking of making some sort of hidden door on the screen wall. I am very new to all of this av/ht stuff, so bear with me if you will.

What is the name of the material that covers the screen wall around the screen? I have seen tons of people use it on here. Its a black material, that gets stretched over panels? I have seen it used a lot with theaters with an AT screen. There are pictures on here...of theaters that have the material covering the whole screen wall. People have taken pictures with all the paneling up. Then they take pics with the panels off showing the sound system behind.

I am sure I am doing an awful job of describing this.

Brain storming here...so I was thinking if I could make my screen wall with all of those panels. I could come up with some sort of clip system that would allow easy removal, allowing access being the screen wall.

Feel free to correct, or call me out on anything, as I am very new to all of this.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top