AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been doing research lately, looking to buy my first HDTV. However, I'm not extremely technically savvy and I feel like the more research I do the more confused I get! So I'm looking for a little advice on my particular situation:
  • We will be watching this from a distance of about 9 to 10 feet. I'm thinking 40" or 42" would be suitable and in my price range.
  • The seating configuration in the room means that some of us will be watching from an angle of about 45 degrees from straight on (both to the right and the left) so picture quality from this angle is very important to me.
  • We will be using this primarily for sports (football especially!) and shows in HD and standard definition. We'll occasionally rent a movie OnDemand (from Comcast) or on a DVD (no Blu-ray or anything like that). I don't plan to use this TV for gaming or computers or anything like that. I just want a nice picture for watching sports and my favorite shows.
  • There are large windows to the right side of where the TV will be that let in a lot of light, so glare is a fairly big concern.
  • I don't plan on buying a separate audio system, so the built-in speakers should be adequate. I doubt that's a big deal but figured I'd mention it.

Like I said, I'm not a videophile or anything like that - I don't know the difference between judders and jaggies, and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell if the reds and blues on my TV are "true" enough.
I just want a nice HD picture that will "wow" this average guy.

I'm not sure exactly how the "don't talk about price" rules work, but it's probably relevant to mention that I'm hoping to find something under $1,000, although I could go a little higher if the consensus is that it's really worth it.

Most of the sets I've seen for under $1K are 60 Hz - will that be an issue for watching sports, etc? I don't want the picture to be blurry or anything, is it definitely worth it to spring for the 120 Hz?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you need any more info that would be important let me know.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Since you are new at this most HDTVs would probably satisfy you. To me your 3 big issues are going to be 1) viewing angle 2) motion handling and 3) glare.

Viewing Angles

Until I recently took home a Samsung LCD(B650) I hadn't realized how much these TVs degrade in picture quality when you go off axis (especially 45 degrees). It's not as noticeable in bright lighting but as you have lighting it will become more noticeable. Plasmas have no viewing angle issues.

Motion Handling

I haven't watched much sports on my Samsung LCD(120Hz) yet but thus far I've not noticed any blurring on video. I have noticed fast action video games blurring/ghosting which is noticeable though. Plasma will handle motion much better but an LCD might be sufficient. Someone else will have to comment on this as thus far my knowledge is limited here.

Glare

If you don't want glare then you'll have to rule out certain Samsung LCD models (such as the B650/B750 series). They have the ultra clear panel but will have more reflections that a plasma. I've read that Samsung plasmas aren't the best at reflections either but the Panasonic P42G10 series is rated good at handling screen glare so if you aren't opposed to plasma you might want to throw this TV into consideration with the LCDs that you are considering.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It sounds like you are recommending a plasma - I've heard that while they have several advantages over LCD, the glare would be a problem in a well-lit room. Is this correct? This is a big concern for me, because I don't want to bring home a $1K+ TV and not be able to enjoy the picture because of the glare from the windows. For that reason I haven't really looked at plasmas at all - should I?

After shopping around online I've found the Samsung LN40B630 40" LCD for a little under $1,000. Can anyone let me know if this is a good value for what I'm looking for? Everything I've seen online makes it sound like a good fit, but I haven't actually seen it in person yet (I'm going to try to run to a store after work today to check it out).

·
Registered
6,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandy /forum/post/16854712

Thanks for the response. It sounds like you are recommending a plasma - I've heard that while they have several advantages over LCD, the glare would be a problem in a well-lit room. Is this correct? This is a big concern for me, because I don't want to bring home a $1K+ TV and not be able to enjoy the picture because of the glare from the windows. For that reason I haven't really looked at plasmas at all - should I?

After shopping around online I've found the Samsung LN40B630 40" LCD for a little under $1,000. Can anyone let me know if this is a good value for what I'm looking for? Everything I've seen online makes it sound like a good fit, but I haven't actually seen it in person yet (I'm going to try to run to a store after work today to check it out).

I'm not necessarily recommending plasma. As far as the glare goes it's hard to say without seeing your setup. It might be an issue and it might not. My main concerns for you with the LCD would be the 45 degree viewing angle which I would think would especially be an issue in the evening hours and fast motion COULD be an issue but I'm unsure on that one at the moment. The strike against plasma would be the glare. Even though it may look dimmer in a store like BB I think it should be bright in home with the 42" model.

If I were you I'd buy from Best Buy or a local place that you can take it back if you aren't happy with it. Their price on the Samsung is what you noted and if you get a reward zone card (should be free) and you'll get $20 back with reward zone points. I would at least look at the Panasonic plasma.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.