AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking im going to buy a CRT projector soon after being unhappy with my non-hdtv big screen.So i have a few questions because i need some help.

1. Can a CRT get better picture than and actual hdtv Big Screen TV? Can it get 480i 480p 720i 720p and 1080i?

2. Whats the difference between the CRT and Digital Projectors. Which one would i have a better exerience with and in my price range(see next question)

3.I need some suggestions on a CRT that will support ALL hdtv Resolutions. My price range should be about 1500 and below i might go to 2000.(1500 so i can spend the other 500 on cables and the other equipment ill need)

4.Incase it makes a difference ill be hooking up a Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, N64, a Sony Dream System (the surround sound system in a box in case you didnt know), i will be running every thing off of component video that is cable of doing so.Ill also be hooking up a vcr via S-video. I will also have to be able to hook up cable tv to because i want to watch tv on it.

5.Will i have trouble watching it with lights on(wont be much of a problem if it is because this is in my basement)

Since im wanting so much for this would i just be better off with a 65in Widescreen HDTV???

Also whats the difference between a SVGA and XGA projector??Which one is better??

Ill add any questions if i think any more.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Sounds like you are too much into games for a crt to work for you. They don't like static images for long periods of time and can get burn in if you aren't careful.

not that it can't do it, but you have to be careful.

For $2000 you could get a kick ass crt for the ultimate picture and a cheapo digital just to game on so you'd never have to worry one way or the other plus you would always have a backup.... Might think about that as it's a great time to buy a crt with prices as they are and it would be a shame not to just for the sake of gaming. A used xga lcd can be had for easily under $500, and even $1000 buys a whole lot of crt.

Most crt's use RGB not component.. You may need a transcoder, but they start pretty cheap.

my 2 cents

Troy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm i cant really afford to buy a CRT AND Digital.Because they would be in the same room and i just HAVE to game on a big screen.For my other questions do crts go all resolutions or do they have ONE resolution and hold it??So would gaming on a CRT be out of the question?? I heard that burn in was just if you left the SAME image on for long periods of time.

I thought RGB was the same as Component. I already bought the component cables for basically everything i have. What is a Transcoder would that let me use my component or would i still have to get tons of rgb cables??Would i be able to watch cable tv on a CRT?? It will probably be mounted above me so would this come with a remote sorta like the wavebird for gc where it doesnt need to be directly pointed at the crt.

Also can you pont me in the direction of a CRT i will like.AND PLEASE suggest one that supports ALL HDTV resolutions

Thanks for your replies and ill do you suggestion smitty.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Just about any crt in your price range supports all HD resolutions and then some.

Remotes will bounce off the wall just fine you don't have to point at the projector in most any case.

RGB and component are similar but not the same. The sync is different. A simple $100 or under box will convert them.

Games have static images such as heads up displays, scores, crosshairs etc... You need to take steps to not let those burn in. If you're too busy fragging people at high contrast and forget you're burning that stuff in hour after hour you will pay a price.

You could run your component cables into the transcoder and need one rgb cable to go to the projector. (if you get a transcoder with enough inputs or a switcher.)

Yes you can watch cable on it, connect computers and games and anything else you can think of... Just not many have component like I said, and not all have composite or svideo you have to check the fine print.

These days you could pick up two or three little ECP hdtv crt pjs for your price range and just keep running them 24/7 gaming non stop and still get your money out of them. To game safely just takes a little lower contrast if you have static images on the screen, or some breaks for the projector, mix up your useage so it's not always the same screen with the same static parts.

Troy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for your help..if you can think of anything to add for me to watch out for or a good projector or reliable company to get one from.And any transcoders that would be good. again thanx a lot.

Im gonna get one this week :D

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Well I would suggest an Electrohome ECP like a 2500 3100 or up if you want to get in cheap and don't want to waste the best pj on games knowing you aren't treating it ideally.

If you are truly going to be careful about burn in you could get a higher end unit like an electrohome marquee or barco 808 but that would be real overkill for games and cable unless you just want nothing but the best.

The ECP's are really the best bet in your case I think as they are a dime a dozen, parts are common and dirt cheap, and so are tubes for them. A full set of tubes for an ecp can be had cheaper than one single tube for a marquee or barco 808 etc. ECP switchers can be had for $50, input cards under $20, etc etc... Great bargains so you wouldn't have to worry so much about just running it all you want.

Troy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK im sorry to ask you soo many questions but i wanna get this right..

so could you list all the things i should need..i mean like the name of an actual crt and transcoder and try and gimme some prices...for a crt im wantin one of the best...yet still in my price range...

im confused about these add on cards what are they do i need them for hdtv resolutions. I was hoping to get a crt with lots of aspect ratois (adjustable preset ratios) Im just lookin for the best crt with tons of features and a BEAUTIFUL picture on it..also what about actual screen what would you suggest for that??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You might be getting more (or less) than you want with CRT. For example, you mentioned adjustable presets. You (or a local expert) are going to have to mount this monster (most go from 100 - 200 lbs) either in center of room on floor or ceiling. THEN, you are going to have to calibrate it. This is not easy for a beginner (I speak from experience), and will have to be done for each resolution you wish to project.

My advice... do some more lurking/questioning on this site. Do some searches of things you wish to explore. If CRT decide if you are 7", 8" or want a monster 9". Then explore the possible make/models in those categories. Make sure you know how large/heavy the machine is. Ask how difficult it is to calibrate and keep sharp. Your latest post indicates you want nirvana (greatest picture, easiest setup, cheap), do some more research to figure which is really the most important for you.

Most important...do not rush. I have had more surprises than I would wish, and I had a local expert to solve many of my problems. On the other hand, I would not trade my CRT for any three digitals out there, and the last year has been great fun.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
That's part of why I suggested an ECP. One of the smallest and lightest that scans high enough, and one of the easist to set up.

Yes it takes setting up, and its not the easiest thing in the world to do but most will agree it's worth it unless you ask that same question in the digital forum.

A 8" or a 9" for gaming and cable is just a waste of cash, and those are much more complex in the setup if you do it right. You can slap an ECP in place and converge almost entirely with point convergence and although that isn't the proper or best way to do it you can get by and still have a great pic... Then when you learn more you can go back and get an even better pic by doing it right.

As things are now if you get a crt and it's too much for you you can just flip it right back for sale and be out nothing if you get a reasonable deal. It's probably one of the few times that impulse buying probably won't hurt you, provided you get a machine with good tubes in good shape and don't pay over the going rates. They aren't new, so you aren't taking a loss if you sell it right away. After you get one I doubt you would sell it though.

Troy

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I should have added that buying right now within the next week is actually a damn good idea even if you are not so sure. With the overstock on 8"ers on ebay and bidspotter and all the people watching them the regular little ecp's on ebay are selling for just about nothing really.

Just get one with good tubes whatever you get, and compare what you are paying to ebay history and don't pay too much and you're all set.

Grab the deals while you can is what I am saying because they won't last in my opinion. I am fairly certain prices are about to sneak back up or worse.

Troy

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Ok, well, it looks like a small digital may be right for because of the gaming. You should not, however give up on the CRT idea, and at the very least take some time to do some reading. CRT's have a 4:3 aspect ratio, but they can handle pretty much any signal under the sun you send to them. By their nature, they do not have a fixed resolution as the digitals do, because they have a fixed number of pixels. As for picture, at this price range it's no contest at all, CRT obliterates digital hands down.

The digitals that can give CRTs a run for their money cost more like 10K and WAAAAY above that too, pushing towards 200K (new of course).

The CRT's you'd be looking at purchasing used for your budget retailed for probably10-20K maybe more, and give a far better picture than the digitals for just 1-2K (and arguably the best picture period)

Most of these projectors take composite, s-video(depends), and RGB. You'll need to get a component to RGB transcoder, or better yet, use a computer (you game like crazy, you MUST have a computer, right? :p) and run directly from that, no transcoder needed. With the computer you can push much higher resolutions as well. Look in the HTPC forum for more info.

As for looking at what's available, ebay is, well, risky unless you are very careful. I would strongly recommend you buy from a reputable seller like Curt Palme, or Terry, or some of the other smaller CRT sellers on the forum. You know you're getting an honest representation of condition, and a working unit that's been tested out.

You should email each to get their CRT lists, and also ask Curt for his beginner's guide, it's VERY good info, explains the basics, and details many of the projector models we're talking about. I believe terry's email is an automated list.

Also, keep in mind that CRT's are HUGE, and quite heavy. They are NOT, by any means portable, or small like a digital would be. They must be set in one place and left there, as set-up takes many hours to do properly. However, once setup, the image should be amazing.

I did a lot of looking and reading, and ended up getting a BG808 for 2K, with some slight wear on the tubes. Get the projector lists from curt/terry and you can get an idea of prices of various units. Also keep in mind shipping costs, which shouldn't be too bad, depending on where you're located.

You should also find a well set-up CRT so you can see for yourself the PQ you can expect. Sadly, pretty much no HT dealers much have them any more, so you may need to hunt around the forums to find someone near you with one.

Oh, also keep in mind that most RPTVs (the really big, large-screen TVs), are Rear-projection CRTs. They use the same projectors, except they project from the bottom of the set, against a mirror at the back, and onto the rear of the screen. Most of these are of slightly to considerably lesser quality than the professional front-projection units sold around these parts. Thus a big-screen RPTV would suffer from the same burn-in problems as a FP CRT. A digital, however, will not.

Screens can be made really cheap with a variety of DIY solutions, like fabrics, the plastic materials, painted drywall, goo stuff, whatever. Some may not be the best, but check the screen forum for more ideas that way.

Oh, and btw most of these projectors can go higher than HDTV resolutions anyway.

And you should also check out this CRT faq along with Curt's:

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/crt_faq.htm

Gahd, i keep thinking of things to add.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303577

Some more good links, there's curt's faq, a very in-depth setup guide, along with some other excellent links. Start reading...

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow guys thanks a lot just when im thinkin im about to go buy one you guys through something else in.Thanks. Yes i do have a crazzy computer but i dont know if i really want to hook everything up to it cause it would take an insane amount of wiring (like it wont already).So im thinking i might just stick with the transcoder...but i was wondering i know pretty much everything about computers and i know you can hook up systems to them but i would probably have to get some sort of switch since theres so many goin up..Right??My FX5900 Ultra doesnt have a way to hook that stuff up too it (i think..ill have to check).Also since a CRT has a 4:3 ratio will widescreen (16:9) and other ratios look as good as on tvs made for them will a 4:3 projector display a 16:9 as nicely as a 16:9 tv would?Also how much would you estimate for a professional to come and calibrate this for me???

Feel free to add anything else.

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.