AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for some speakers for my TV, probably 2.0 (with bass included) or a 2.1 system for movies, I've only ever used computer speakers before so I'm not too experienced with TV audio, whats the best connection, optic out?

Currently for my computer I have a 2.0 (bass inside) klipsch Pro Media Ultra speakers, and they are the best sounding speakers I have heard so far, too bad they are discontinued or I would pick up a pair for my TV or something if I could connect them.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some good ones, atleast as good or better as my klipsch for a budget around 100-200$, more towards the 100$ lol

Oh, the audio quality of my TV is bad, so I heard you'd need to connect the tv into an AMP, then the AMP into the speakers to get good sound, all computer speakers have built in amps, do TV speakers have build in amps as well? I would like to get one with a build in amp, to avoid this problem as well lol

any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15569195

Oh, the audio quality of my TV is bad, so I heard you'd need to connect the tv into an AMP, then the AMP into the speakers to get good sound, all computer speakers have built in amps, do TV speakers have build in amps as well? I would like to get one with a build in amp, to avoid this problem as well lol

any suggestions?

You need to connect the speakers to an amplifier because your TV will not be able to power the speakers. Computer speakers are more often than not, considered as powered since they don't require additional amplification, they are most probably connected through some way to the subwoofer.

I think you are essentially looking for good 2.1 computer speakers since you want them with built-in amps?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your only hope is to look into the used markets.

You will need an AV receiver which you will hook up your TV (cable or satellite) and DVD player; you then will hook up the video out from the AVR to your TV; you also hook up the speakers to the AVR.

You might be able to find someone selling an old AVR and a pair of speakers for

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think you should also find out if your TV (or cable box) has variable level output for audio. There are different ways to go about this but the least expensive method would be to use variable level outputs (from your TV or cable box) into a set of self-amplified speakers like your Klipsch's. One other possibility if you have volume levels to work with would be to pair a nice pair of bookshelf speakers up with a T-Amp, which would allow for a very stealth installation (T-Amps are tiny).

You may also be a good candidate for a self powered soundbar solution like the Boston Acoustics TVee 2.

If you don't have variable level volume output then you need speakers with their own (probably remote controlled) volume level or to make a jump to a full receiver/speaker setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replys!

@Slare,

how would I find out if my TV has "variable level volume output" ?

Also, how would I find out if my computer has it as well?

I forgot to tell you guys that I'm going to be switching the speakers from my computer to my TV, because I'm going to be hooking up my computer to my TV to watch shows from time to time

@s44,

Someone suggested the Audio Engine 2's on another forum, and I remember reading about them in the past, I might go with those I'll read up on them, they do have amps built in right?

Also, forget about the Pmedia 2.0s, for about a year now they've had this volume problem where if I touch the nob it'll cut out one speaker and take ages to get the speaker back, thats why they discontinued them many people have this problem =|

1 - 6 of 6 Posts