AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked as an audio installer for car audio for a couple years when i was younger so I am familiar with putting together speaker enclosures etc.. but upon reading another thread where an avs forum member upgraded their monitor 60s.. im thiking of going this route instead.. using the existing polk cabinet that looks just as nice as anything id be able to make myself, and takes exactly 0 work (yay 0 work)

I have a set of monitor 70s, and a cs2 center that im thinking of upgrading the drivers in, do you guys think I can make a considerable improvment for a moderate amount of money (500-700 bucks)..

I have lots of amp power (carver m500t, 275x2 at 8 ohm, can run 350w @ 4 ohm also) for the mains, but the center (only 2 drivers and 1 tweeter) would run off my marantz amp at 110w.

What im thinking is going to 2 mid range, 1 tweeter and 2 woofer in each m70 and 2 matching midrange and tweeter in the cs2 center.. instead of running 4 identical midrange in each tower like they are from polk.

looks like the entire enclosure is one open space on the m70 (will confirm when i open it) but I stuck a camera in the port and it looks like wide open all the way to the top. dimensions of the cabinet are 42" H x 7-3/4" W x 14-3/4" D, and the port is 3.25 wide by 3.5 long.

max outside diamater of the mounting ring of the speaker can be 6.75 inches, and the outside ring of the tweeter can be 3.5 inches around, but would need to be able to be trimmed to fit the m70 tower on 2 sides at 2.75 inches... the other tweeter option would be going with a top mount and leaving the polk tweeter unhooked but in the cabinet.. obviously i would prefer option 1 as it would look 'factory'

so i would need, 6 midrange drivers, 4 woofers, and 3 tweeters (or could go 10 identical drivers if that would sound better) and 3 crossovers (one 2 way, 2 3 way, or 3 2 way)

what drivers/crossovers/tweeters would YOU put in these puppies if you were doing it.. Im just beginning to research drivers for home audio, so any help would be great.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
This will be tough to do. You'll need drivers with specs that work in that enclosure. That can be done. That the fitment might be a little off, requiring the driver holes be routed out. Will almost have to be bigger. Then youull need to design a crossover, because I doubt anyone has a xo design that would fit. Using a stock xo would be a step back.

If you can measure and design, it can be done.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic /forum/post/20767201

This will be tough to do. You'll need drivers with specs that work in that enclosure. That can be done. That the fitment might be a little off, requiring the driver holes be routed out. Will almost have to be bigger. Then youull need to design a crossover, because I doubt anyone has a xo design that would fit. Using a stock xo would be a step back.

If you can measure and design, it can be done.

yea routering the openings is no real problem, and I do not plan on using the polk crossovers.

the enclosure can also be split into 2 parts if needed, there is a center divider inside the cabinet, that is above the bottom 2 woofers, that could easily be plugged to make a top sealed enclosure, and a bottom ported enclosure for the 2 woofers.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Ok, here is what I'd do:

Measure the speaker to see if it can be improved, or needs to be improved;

Assuming it needs to be rebuilt, Buy 2 woofers and 2 mids per speaker;

Buy 1 tweeter per speaker;

Put the in the cab with separate air spaces between the woofs and mids;

Measure;

Design a XO;

Build;

Tweak;

Listen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.