AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, I am doing some work in the main room. Conduit behind the walls, for future runs, with new electrical with proper grounds.

I want to place an 18" woofer on either side here. I have a set of Wharfdale Jade 3 W/ matching stands currently. I will likely place directly in front of these woofers on either side.

I have a 2860 cu/ft L- shaped room with extra wide doorframes (w/o doors) that lead into other large rooms.

28.5"x24.5" floorspace on the left, and need room for the air return here.

My biggest questions being. Is 2x 18" drivers too much, not enough? How much room should I leave for the air return to get proper circulation? What is a recommended amp for these? I'll likely have to hire someone to build enclosures for me. Anything specific I should look for in a good box builder? Any special plans I should give them for these things?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hi cheetoz,

is 2 18 too much.....nope: ) It might be enough, but look at the pattern on these forums....1 to 2, 2 to 3 or 4....and so on and so on: )

no idea on the air return thing, sorry. ( id imagine at least 6 inches though right? You probably dont want it chocking due to not being able to get enough air in )

recommended power is about 600 -1200 watts from what ive read here. If your going ported, MAKE SURE you have a HPF in place to protect the drivers with sub 20hz info.

As far as plans, there are many avail....sonotube enclosures, and ported and sealed designs are all over the forum. The popular design of the day is definitely the marty style subs designed by LTD02. I just built 2 and let me tell you.....they are pretty damn awesome!

As far as having someone build the cabinets....you could pay to have someone do it. but if your the same guy who tore out the drywall around the fireplace...your definitely brave enough and probably handy enough to get it done on your own. Search the marty sub thread. the plans, dimensions, pictures are all there.

hope this info gets you off to a good start. Also, people here i found out are more than willing to help....we all have the same home theater addiction, after all, right: )

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks! Now I am contemplating whether I want to get the SI 18" D2, or I want to wander off and look at other manufacturers. Seems all the rave reviews I hear are for the D4 models which no longer exist. I want enough bass to implode my chest if necessary, though I do not want to make any compromises in quality of that bass achieving it. I've heard some pretty shoddy woofers at the local stereo shops, almost makes me not want to bother. The few that I have heard that are done properly definitely leave me wanting to take them home.

Stick with the SI 18" or migrate to something else? Probably will get a full Marty. those plans look simple enough in that thread, so probably will build them myself and save the money in labor paying someone else. WHat is my expected material cost for them? I assume I want 1" MDF? I saw a bunch of people recommending birch. Too much to read, it is overwhelming and shying me away from the project.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetohz  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s/0_100#post_24499250

Thanks! Now I am contemplating whether I want to get the SI 18" D2, or I want to wander off and look at other manufacturers. Seems all the rave reviews I hear are for the D4 models which no longer exist. I want enough bass to implode my chest if necessary, though I do not want to make any compromises in quality of that bass achieving it. I've heard some pretty shoddy woofers at the local stereo shops, almost makes me not want to bother. The few that I have heard that are done properly definitely leave me wanting to take them home.

Stick with the SI 18" or migrate to something else? Probably will get a full Marty. those plans look simple enough in that thread, so probably will build them myself and save the money in labor paying someone else. WHat is my expected material cost for them? I assume I want 1" MDF? I saw a bunch of people recommending birch. Too much to read, it is overwhelming and shying me away from the project.

i think the 2ohm version of the si18 is fine. i went with the 4 ohm , so i could have a little more flexibility wiring them, but their are plenty of amps out there that would have no problem at all with the 2 ohm. my understanding is that a 2 ohm speaker could also be wired up so that your amp sees it as a 4 ohm load, if that's desirable.

I think the full marty could work for you., a vertical model might fit nicely between the fireplace and the wall on the left. You'd get some nice room gain going on too from corner loading it, which would give you even greater spl.

Cost for my vertical was about 90 bucks in plywood ( i bought 2 sheets, but the actual build takes about 1.4 sheets ) . I went with 3/4 inch, and trust me...it's sturdy. See my thread if you want. Some people like MDF, some dont. I have heard that plywood takes screws better and cuts better, and wont be as susceptible to moisture damage, so thats what i went with. Then you also have to factor in how you want to finish it, and those associated cost.

dont get overwhelmed.....you have to remember, your doing this for fun, its a journey towards some seriously killer bass, that you will achieve spending WAY less than it would take to do it commercially. There is also a pretty killer feeling when you walk into your home theater room and see the sub you made, and think to yourself....." i made that bad a$$ bass monster, right there! "

Just go slow, and come here and ask questions. Trust me, i just completed my first build, and i was only brave enough to do it because i met a guy on here ( asarose247 ) who was awesome enough to mentor me through the whole thing. I can try and do the same for you, and if you and me cant figure it out, there's about 1000 other good guys on here that can help us.

ps- Im gonna pm you my cell. Sometimes we can get a lot more accomplished just talking on the phone rather than writing novels back and forth.

Lets build something bro.....Every man deserves killer bass : )

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Cheetoz, if I am reading it right you are going to put one 18" on either side of the fireplace? Does that mean that you will the tv on top of the fireplace? If so you might want to try and do something like I am doing. I have 1 marty cube on either side of the entertainment center and am planning on putting my front speakers on top of the cubes. My question would be, where ar you going to put the center channel? Also if you have about 28" on the side you are good for a marty cube or a full size marty like Kevings. Like he said we are all here to help. Are you in the Los Angeles area? If so I know there is quite a few people around there that have the martys or are working on getting them. Maybe you can set up a listening session. Here is my setup. It works for me, might work for you as well. I have the SI D2 subs with an inuke amp

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Over the last month we have had a dozen people make a marty who were not woodworking experts . Yes you will make a couple of mistakes , but it your determined you will succeed which makes it all the sweeter. I still remember cess asking me about five times .... is the marty really that much better then my klipsch ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s/0_80#post_24499588

I deleted those PMs so that there wouldn't be any prove. So is the Fusion 8 MTM really going to be better than my Yamaha center channel?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetohz  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s/0_80#post_24499250

Thanks! Now I am contemplating whether I want to get the SI 18" D2, or I want to wander off and look at other manufacturers. Seems all the rave reviews I hear are for the D4 models which no longer exist.

And they don't from most other competitive drivers either. D2 will be perfectly fine. Worst case you need to spend a hundred or so extra for a larger amp. The inuke 6000 mates up really nicely to a pair of D2's and allows for ummm, plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s/0_80#post_24499666

Listen to what he ^^^^ is saying, he is not as crazy as we think he is.

Oh no, I am.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24499536

Cheetoz, if I am reading it right you are going to put one 18" on either side of the fireplace? Does that mean that you will the tv on top of the fireplace? If so you might want to try and do something like I am doing. I have 1 marty cube on either side of the entertainment center and am planning on putting my front speakers on top of the cubes. My question would be, where ar you going to put the center channel? Also if you have about 28" on the side you are good for a marty cube or a full size marty like Kevings. Like he said we are all here to help. Are you in the Los Angeles area? If so I know there is quite a few people around there that have the martys or are working on getting them. Maybe you can set up a listening session. Here is my setup. It works for me, might work for you as well. I have the SI D2 subs with an inuke amp

Wow, nice setup. I'm actually in Spokane, WA

I've been working on this for some time now. Yes, I am hanging the TV above the fireplace.

Bought the Wharfedale's about a month ago. Here are some before pictures of where I started. I had a thread going somewhere that I never updated and I lost it. SO I will dump everything here to show my progress.

I ripped out some of the drywall, that nasty fake wooden panellign that looked like it was taken from a trailerpark in the 60's and the brick, while I liked it, it was a bit dated.

Put the conduit in. The ductape is only for added stability and is strapped to studs using PVC hanging straps. Not sure if this is the proper way to do it, but I think it will work for me.

I am using low voltage pass through plates as I am very indecisive on what connectors I want, and what equipment I will have as an end result. This allows for my addiction to grow later. One for the left, one for the right, and one for the video in the center.

Using my electrical tester, I found that I had no ground here and my OCD kicked in telling me I must have a ground, so i ripped everything back apart again to run a dedicated 20A circuit directly from the breaker. This is how the wiring was when I opened it, mind you it was wrapped in electrical tape. I quickly decided to check all the other boxes in the house as well and use the proper equipment.

Here I put it back together for picture sakes. Don't worry. I am using wire nuts now. and everything is properly protected.

On the far right side, I am currently working on building some cabinets, they will be recessed with a hidden door facing to the right. Couldn't let all that extra "dead air" go to waste.

And here are pictures of the left side where I plan to place the amp, receiver, htpc, and gaming consoles. Not sure if I want to install a suspended rack for the rack mountable equipment, or install shelving for everything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24499627

And they don't from most other competitive drivers either. D2 will be perfectly fine. Worst case you need to spend a hundred or so extra for a larger amp. The inuke 6000 mates up really nicely to a pair of D2's and allows for ummm, plenty of headroom.
Wow, the inuke 6000 is only $350? is it decent quality, or is there something else that is better? That is well within my price range I was expectign to have to buy an amp for $$$+ more than that. Probably going to snag it up quickly unless someone else has another recommendation.

As for the boxes, I probably will go with a black oak finish to match the Wharfedale. 

EDIT: forgot to call out one thing from cessna1466u's post. He stated he was placing the speakers atop the cubes. That seems dangerous. wouldn't the vibration eventually knock them off and damage them? I plan on putting mine directly in front of the cubes. That is, if I go down that route.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
$350 is a good price, is that on eBay. I have been watching one on there that is $350 plus shipping. I know there is better out there, but for the price I think this is the best your going to get. Definitely get the 6000, I got the 3000 and am trying to upgrade. Its great but I want more headroom. Here is what I suggest, I used a very technical program to draw it up so I hope you are able to understand it. It looks like the Wharfdale bookshelfs are small enough to hand on the sides of your tv with a downward tilt with something like this.

Then you can build a big enough mantel to house a center channel. Looks like in the right side of the fireplace there is a window not a wall so you could build or get a small credenza style equipment rack to house all the equipment. Here is what it would like, picture it in color.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetohz  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24500019

Wow, the inuke 6000 is only $350? is it decent quality, or is there something else that is better? That is well within my price range I was expectign to have to buy an amp for $$$+ more than that. Probably going to snag it up quickly unless someone else has another recommendation.

As for the boxes, I probably will go with a black oak finish to match the Wharfedale. 

EDIT: forgot to call out one thing from cessna1466u's post. He stated he was placing the speakers atop the cubes. That seems dangerous. wouldn't the vibration eventually knock them off and damage them? I plan on putting mine directly in front of the cubes. That is, if I go down that route.

In my opinion you want them about the same level as your tv so that you get that uniform sound across the front. These martycubes are pretty solid, I have mine on top and so does Chaluga and they don't move. If you are ever on this side of the mountains let me know you can come by and listen to them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24500051

$350 is a good price, is that on eBay. I have been watching one on there that is $350 plus shipping. I know there is better out there, but for the price I think this is the best your going to get. Definitely get the 6000, I got the 3000 and am trying to upgrade. Its great but I want more headroom. Here is what I suggest, I used a very technical program to draw it up so I hope you are able to understand it. It looks like the Wharfdale bookshelfs are small enough to hand on the sides of your tv with a downward tilt with something like this.

Then you can build a big enough mantel to house a center channel. Looks like in the right side of the fireplace there is a window not a wall so you could build or get a small credenza style equipment rack to house all the equipment. Here is what it would like, picture it in color.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU6000-Ultra-Lightweight-High-Density-6000-Watt/dp/B005EHINFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395183124&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+6000

Is this the correct amp? I work for Amazon, so I get employee discount, plus free 2 day shipping. so it is even cheaper for me.

As for mounting the wharfedales to the wall, that is out of the question. I paid a pretty penny for the wharfedale branded stands that came with those wharfedales.  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53499-wharfedale-speaker-stand-for-jade-1-3-black-pr.aspx Not where I bought them, as I bought them from a local retailer, but only place I could find them to verify their pricetag.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53406-wharfedale-jade-3-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&

I know, rediculous price for speakers, but I demoed many models. and absolutely fell in love the first time I heard them. No speaker has "WOW"d me like these have in a very long time.

EDIT: Noticed the NU6000DSP model has a USB interface and DSP. is this worthwhile for the $50 extra? What is the purpose fo it, and will I ever use it?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That is the 6000 amp but I would get the 6000dsp so that you have an eq for the sub and crossover. That one is usually about $399 or like on ebay for $349 plus shipping.

I like those stands alot. I might have to copy them for my Left and Rights.

They might sit fine on top of the martys. The right side doesn't seem like a problem, you can put the speakers in their stands an then the cubes right next to them. How much space do you have on the left?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetohz  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24500078

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU6000-Ultra-Lightweight-High-Density-6000-Watt/dp/B005EHINFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395183124&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+6000

Is this the correct amp? I work for Amazon, so I get employee discount, plus free 2 day shipping. so it is even cheaper for me.

As for mounting the wharfedales to the wall, that is out of the question. I paid a pretty penny for the wharfedale branded stands that came with those wharfedales.  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53499-wharfedale-speaker-stand-for-jade-1-3-black-pr.aspx Not where I bought them, as I bought them from a local retailer, but only place I could find them to verify their pricetag.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53406-wharfedale-jade-3-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&

I know, rediculous price for speakers, but I demoed many models. and absolutely fell in love the first time I heard them. No speaker has "WOW"d me like these have in a very long time.

EDIT: Noticed the NU6000DSP model has a USB interface and DSP. is this worthwhile for the $50 extra? What is the purpose fo it, and will I ever use it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/1523049/first-time-diy-need-help-planning-2x-si-18s#post_24500106

cess,

I just gotta tell you that I am loving the drawing made via the "technical program"

simple, yet effective: )

You like the fire right? I would of colored it in but everyone keeps beating me to the posts and I want to be the one helping for a change.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts