AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a question at the end that you may want to skip to if you don't want to read my first experience with Digital TV.

Call me silly or even stupid, but I recently bought a Dish 6000 receiver with the 8VSB module. (Thanks, Gary). Why silly? I don't have a HDTV set or projector. That's why I put DTV in my subject instead of SDTV or HDTV. You see, I want to build a home theater/hdtv system for my house. I'm just doing it in pieces as funds allow.

I have a Dish already pointed at 61.5 (for Indian channels), so I already could face the HDTV channels. I have a DD/DTS receiver with five speakers (no sub, though), so I can at least listen to PPV DD soundtracks. My 46" Hitachi Ultravision TV, however, only has a S-Video input.

I swapped my 3720 with the 6000 (I'll use it as a backup) and hooked up the DD optical out to my receiver. Although I'm using the S-Video port, I'm still impressed with the video quality of HBOHD and the demo loop and in the cases where DD 5.1 is used on HBOHD, the sound. I even got the impression that the regular Indian channels looked better.

I then attached a pair of rabbit ears to the OTA module. After some twisting of the "ears", I was finally able to receive the CBS digital signal. MAN!! Did that look sweet. The NCAA's were on and the picture was sharp. After some more effort, I got NBC, but no luck with ABC or Fox. After buying an amplified indoor UHF/VHF/FM antenna from Radio Shack, I could receive any 3 of the 4 digital Tampa stations, but not all four. So, now I'm watching ABC, CBS, and NBC in digital (sorry Fox). I need to figure out which antenna to get (preferably indoor) to get all four in Tampa.

I'm sure this is all old hat to you guys, but to me, it was great. Next on my list is a HDTV quality projector (I expect 2 months to gather the funds). After that, the antenna. Not sure about what next. Maybe a HTPC to replace my Sony S-300 DVD player. (Yeah, the Sony is old, but it was expensive when I bought it new and it handles CDR's just fine.)

Anyway, my questions. 1) Although I won't get the full impact, can I hook up my multi-sync 17" PC monitor to the VGA port to see the 1080i image? I don't plan to watch this daily, but just to see how a true HD image looks. 2) I hooked up the Digital Out to my receiver. The channels with Dolby Digital or Pro Logic signals sound fine, but I hear static or a popping sound on the ones that are stereo or mono. Do you know why this is happening? It's annoying, but I'm also worried that it might damage the speakers.

Thanks,

JC

------------------

Take care,

JC

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
JC,

I don't have a 6000 but I have plugged my old RCA DTC-100 into a Sony 17" monitor and it worked great. Make sure you are set to RGB mode.

--Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.