AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We watched Toy Story 3 Bluray last night. MAJOR distortion! Don't know where it was coming from; the AVR, or speakers.

I was at my normal movie volume position on my Pioneer vsx-d912k. No changes were made to my bass, treble, or EQ on the subs from normal.

During the early scene where every one is on the train getting ready to go over the bridge. Just before and during the TNT explosion, as well as the part where they go over the edge, I got awful distortion/clipping.

I thought it was the subs, but I turned them down. Still distorted. I had to turn the receiver down 8db on the dial to stop it. At first I thought it was the right channel only but my son said it was coming from the left, and my wife said it was all over the front channels. She was in the sweet spot.

I don't have any way to know if the receiver is clipping as there isn't a meter I am aware of.

Pioneer is crossed over at 100hz which is as low as it will go. Source is an Oppo bdp-83. Speaker are JBL E50's R/L and EC35 center.

Does this sound like speakers, or amplifier? What is the best way to determine this?

I have been in the market for a new receiver for other reasons, but I don't want to do anything until I determine this problem.

Thanks,

Clay

PS: I should mention this receiver has shut down twice since I purchased the Bluray player, I believe for thermal reasons.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay I tested this bluray again while watching the meter on my sub eq. It barely moves into the mid green section. Which means I have plenty of headroom there. The right main for sure is distorting, and the fan on the receiver came on briefly

I played "Pulse" HD-DVD which just blinks into the yellow and red is far off. No distortion from the subs or mains.

Is it possible the disc is defective? Does this disc have really taxing mid/low range that my speakers can't handle, or is my receiver failing? I haven't seen this on any other disc, and I have to turn this one WAY down to even play it.

Clay

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theformerpro /forum/post/19523429

You should have turned the volume on the reciever down immediately! Not the subs.Hopefully your speakers are ok still?

Anyway,no clipping at that volume with any other source?

This is the only source that has ever done this. Actually just this particular disc. At this volume or even higher. I was originally playing it at -31 on the dial, and when I am alone I normally listen at -27. Audible distortion is present on this disc at -38.

I hope I didn't kill any of the speakers, but I don't know yet. I did turn the receiver down as soon as I realized what was happening, but I was closer to the subs, the remote was in someone else's hands, and of course the rack is in another room entirely.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I just read here ( http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubb...=328027&page=1 ) of someone with the IDENTICAL problem, including the Oppo player.

If I switch to 5.1 from 7.1 it's gone. At ANY level including above where I would comfortably listen and well above reference.

They suggest it is in the Oppo. Any thoughts?

Clay

PS: after doing some more research it appears everyone using the BDP-83 with this disc, analog out, and 7.1 has this problem. Oppo appears to be the problem.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Did you have the analogue outs connected to the analogue input on your Pioneer? Please explain how you had it connected. If you where connected via analogue connection it is possible that the Oppo was clipping the analogue signal. Feeding the Pioneer distortion. There seems to be an Oppo down mixing issue from 7.1 to 5.1.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Did you have the analogue outs connected to the analogue input on your Pioneer? Please explain how you had it connected. If you where connected via analogue connection it is possible that the Oppo was clipping the analogue signal. Feeding the Pioneer distortion. There seems to be an Oppo down mixing issue from 7.1 to 5.1.
Analog out to analog in on the Pioneer. As i dig deeper I have found this analog issue to be true as you say. Although I am not down mixing. I am running 7.1.

Clay

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a known error when the player is decoding the audio. You will need to load the Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack for this title until we find a resolution to this error through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts