AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to coming here and lurking, I was oblivious to HDTV do's and don'ts. Now armed with info, I've actually become more hesitant in pulling the trigger on a first-time purchase. Help me w/ this dilemma.

I am looking at upgrading from a 32" Sony CRT (plain) which I've been watching for the last 10 years or so. My two choices are this:

(A) Go w/ a 720p 32" panel (looking at Samsung 3253) AND purchasing a PS3

-OR-

(B) Go w/ a 1080p 40" panel (Samsung 4061) w/ no player besides my current SD-DVD player (no upconverting).

The reason for the two choices is that Option A ends up costing the same as Option B and my budget dictates that for a few months (5-6) after this purchase, I will not be buying anything (lots of loved ones B-days coming up and all).

My viewing distance will be from 6.5-8ft. Option B would basically rely on OTA sources. The dilemma arises because at 32" and listed distance, the advice here seems to state that 1080p would be wasted. Yet, everyone seems to say go for the larger size. So it boils down to - do I get the larger screen and not have multiple sources for it for a bit or compromise for more sources (that aren't fully utilized)?

Add'l Questions:

(1) Is it worth it to have a 720p panel for use w/ blu-ray or does down-converting 1080p source mean I "wasted" money on a blu-ray?

(2) Would I be able to really tell the difference from a 1080p source (blu-ray) played back on a 1080p vs. 720p panel at the distances listed?

(3) How far can I sit from a 40" 1080p before I can't tell the diff b/w it and a 720p?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. I never thought too much info would actually make me more hesitant!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome the digital age.

I'll answer your questions with a question. Do you have other non-digital TVs in your home? If you do, then I would recommend going with your choice #1. You can enjoy the 32" set and the PS3 (you are probably a gamer) and then in a few years when you are ready for your next purchase, the 32" set can be rotated to a secondary location and your new set can replace it.

Good luck and enjoy your new TV.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
buy the Toshiba 42HL67U .. for roughly 100 more (online) than the Samsung and p/u an upconverting player for another 100. when the blu-ray/hd-dvd shakes out the end of this year, get the best deal on that. at your distance, you probably wouldn't benefit from 1080p on a 32"er. 42" is better at the distance you described.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC /forum/post/12980417

Welcome the digital age.

I'll answer your questions with a question. Do you have other non-digital TVs in your home? If you do, then I would recommend going with your choice #1. You can enjoy the 32" set and the PS3 (you are probably a gamer) and then in a few years when you are ready for your next purchase, the 32" set can be rotated to a secondary location and your new set can replace it.

Good luck and enjoy your new TV.

No other non-digital TVs. It's apartment living for me at the moment. The biggest factor for the PS3 wasn't for the gaming per se (most of my gaming takes place via PC), but the fact that it is blu-ray player and could double as a gaming console (when the fancy strikes). I'm cost-conscious (or cheap, depending on how the mood is for the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/12980497

buy the Toshiba 42HL67U .. for roughly 100 more (online) than the Samsung and p/u an upconverting player for another 100. when the blu-ray/hd-dvd shakes out the end of this year, get the best deal on that. at your distance, you probably wouldn't benefit from 1080p on a 32"er. 42" is better at the distance you described.

At 6.5-8' viewing, the 720p 42" Toshiba will be similar to a 1080p 40" Samsung then? If so, that is definitely more food for thought on this. Price difference between the two at the online retailer I'm considering is the Samsung is $30 more.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker1974 /forum/post/12980289

Add'l Questions:

(1) Is it worth it to have a 720p panel for use w/ blu-ray or does down-converting 1080p source mean I "wasted" money on a blu-ray?

(2) Would I be able to really tell the difference from a 1080p source (blu-ray) played back on a 1080p vs. 720p panel at the distances listed?

(3) How far can I sit from a 40" 1080p before I can't tell the diff b/w it and a 720p?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. I never thought too much info would actually make me more hesitant!!

First read this and you will know as much as almost everyone else who comes to this site;
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

Second, your questions IMO;

1. Yes, you will be wasting your money , if you must have a PS3 pry a little extramoney out of your account or whip out some plastic and get 1080p and PS3, you will glad you did becuse if you dont you will be wondering "what If??"

2. YES 1080p blows 720p away again, IMO there is no comparison i have seen 720p and own 1080p and SEE the difference!

3. How far you can sit matters not a hill beans when it comes down to it, you can read about, ask about it, over think it to the point of having nightmares over it but the opinion that matters is yours and yours alone. Dont listen to me or anyone else, its your money and it has to look good to you, and if your married, make dang sure it looks good to the wife and she can operate it, if she cant, it goes back!!!

FYI, since you are replacing a Sony CRT on all but the very best HDTV's SD is not going to look as good on a HD Flat Screen as it does on a tube espcially comming form an all digital source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts