AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I am a newbie to the audio forums so please bear with me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I have a 32" LG TV (32LK450) with a 3.5 mm audio out port and a toslink digital audio out port. I also own a zalman zm-rssc 5.1 channel external sound card and a logitech z506 home theater system. In order to output 5.1 channel audio from chromecast, I need my tv connected to the z506 speaker system via the zalman 5.1 channel sound card. but the zalman sound card only has a mini-USB port for sound input. Is there a way I can connect my TV's toslink digital output port to the zalman 5.1 channel sound card somehow?

·
Registered
663 Posts
you can't hook multiple sources to your USB sound card, but you could share your logitech speaker system by installing a toslink switch to connect the optical outs of your Zalman and television to the optical in on your logitech speaker system. If the logitech doesn't have an optical in, you will also need to insert an optical to digital coax adapter as well. This whole affair could get a little messy as there aren't a lot of mini optical to mini optical cables out there, just mini to toslink. There are short mini to toslink adapters, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can't hook multiple sources to your USB sound card, but you could share your logitech speaker system by installing a toslink switch to connect the optical outs of your Zalman and television to the optical in on your logitech speaker system. If the logitech doesn't have an optical in, you will also need to insert an optical to digital coax adapter as well. This whole affair could get a little messy as there aren't a lot of mini optical to mini optical cables out there, just mini to toslink. There are short mini to toslink adapters, though.
thanks for the reply weaselfest :) the logitech doesn't have an optical in - it only has 3 3.5mm inputs for 6 channel sound ... so either i need to somehow hook up my tv's toslink output to the 3 3.5mm inputs on the logitech, or i need to hook up my tv's toslink output to the mini-USB input on the external 5.1 channel sound card and then output that into the logitech system ...

·
Registered
663 Posts
That'll teach me to try to interpret input labels from thumbnail photo.........I have a feeling that you'd be ahead of the game to cut your losses and invest in a real AV receiver and speakers, but if you have to make what you own work, take a look at this Sabrent USB audio interface box and see if it will input and output what you need.
http://sabrent.com/product-manuals/USB-SND8_Manual.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts