AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone! 

I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to make an account because I have something worthwhile to post!

We are getting our house made and it will be done in 6-7 months. I got the dimensions of the theater room from the blueprint today, it is a 13' 8" x 18' 5" with an 11' ceiling. I have set up 5.1's multiple times before, but I have never dealt with a projector, which is the one thing that I am most worried about, because I don't want to screw anything up! 

My Gear for the Theater: (Bold is what I already have)

Speakers:

FR/FL - Klipsch Synergy F-30

C - Paradigm C3 Monitor Series

SL/SR - Klipsch Synergy S-20

In the future I will add SBL/SBR - I will have the room pre wired for these speakers

Subwoofer - Klipsch Sub-12 

Processing:

Emotiva XMC-1 

Cables: 

All Monoprice

Thinking of getting 12G speaker wire since some runs will be > 25 feet

Going to use balanced XLR cables from XMC-1 to XPA-5

Power: 

Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 

I am getting 50 amps dedicated to the HT room, is this sufficient?

The most I plan on adding is another emotiva amp that is 300w x2 and that will be used for the fronts and I will put the surround back left and back right onto the XPA-5.

I plan on putting the amp on the 20amp circuit and put the rest of the gear onto the other 30amp circuit.

Projector:
  • No Idea what is best for my budget of $3-4K - The projector will be used 40%TV/40%Movies/20%Gaming
  • Are the new LED/Laser projectors better than DLP ones in terms of image quality?
  • Should I hold out on getting a projector for a few months after the house is built so I can get a 4K projector?
  • I am thinking of going 11ft wide screen in 16:9 
  • According to a calculator online, that comes to a 132" wide x 74" tall x 151" diagonal screen
  • This leaves me with 2' 8" on the left and right side of the screen so I can project the image within the front left and right  speakers and above the center. My front speakers 10" wide x 43" tall
  • How exactly does a projectors image size work now a days? If I mount it 10 feet away from the wall, and the image is too large, can I decrease the size by adjusting its zoom or something? And vice versa, if its too big, can I shrink the size until a desired lumens/sqft has been achieved? I just don't want to mount it in the wrong area and have 10000s of holes in my ceiling or something. 
  • I am a huge Call Of Duty fan, what is gaming like on a 150" screen? I care more to have the HT tailored towards movies/tv than gaming but I also dream about gaming on such a massive screen! 

Projector Screen: 

Paint or a screen? Sceens seem to cost a lot, especially for a 150" diagonal screen. I'm thinking I should go with projector paint for the time being instead. Thoughts?

Video: 

DirecTV HD DVR

Oppo BDP-103

Apple TV 

D-Link Boxee

Xbox One

PS4

Mac Mini

Sound Proofing:

Place sound absorbing panels on the three walls around the room.

There will not be anyone above the room, but one wall of the theater (back wall) is adjacent to a bedroom, which sucks but I can't do anything about that

Remote: 

Logitech Harmony Ultimate

I will be placing all the equipment in a closet with a low noise exhaust fan in the ceiling of the closet.

The closet will be near the surround left speaker in the back of the room. 

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! 

If I have missed anything or if you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask! 

Thanks!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
What is your timing? new projectors tend to come out around the end of the year/holidays. By all means hold off until you get in the house.

Yes you can adjust image size you should get to know the projector calculators at either Projection Central or Projector people. For a particular brand and model it will tell you possible image sizes for a particular throw distance. Or for image size tell you where to mount it.

Wall panels are not sound proofing they are acoustical treatments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha on the wall panels!

Yeah I am definitely waiting on getting the projector until we move in. The house should be done in September '14 so I can definite hold off til New Years if that means a 4K projector will be somewhat affordable.

Any thoughts on that screen size in that sized room?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1519848/first-time-home-theater-build-new-construction-noob-needs-advice-13-x-18#post_24409278

seating distance?
I made a sketch with google sketch up, and I think the front row of seating will have a viewing distance of 11' minimum, max 12' depending on the sofa's we get

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
The often repeated advice to first time projector owners is to get the projector and shine it on the wall, decide what size you like, 11 ft wide at 11 ft away is a bigger than average but not unheard of here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay that sounds good enough.

How do you think the speakers will fare with the emotiva xpa-5?

The klipsch front speakers are rated to handle 150w @ 8 ohms, the Paradigm is 175w I believe, the klipsch surrounds are 125 or 100w.

When I was younger I thought you should never go above the speakers wattage rating, but coming to these forums the past few years I have read time and time again it is better to over power your speakers so that they have sufficient headroom for peak scenes. I ask if it may be too much power for the surrounds because in some scenes, where the volume is somewhat loud, the surrounds clip, and you can hear it, like a pop instead of clean midrange bass. Is this because my Denon is not doing what it should (provide clean power) or is it putting out too much power? I just dont want my surrounds to go bye bye after a few hours of emotiva goodness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts