AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just bought my first big-screen HDTV, and I know that I'll need some sort of speaker system for it, as all of the reviews state that the built-in-speakers are...less than pleasant.

As such, I'd like to grab a system, probably a HTiB, for roughly

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Just some suggestions.

Get a system that has a real receiver, not some combo DVD/amp. You won't be able to upgrade with a lot of Htibs.

Get a system that has speakers from a company that is known for making speakers. Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, SLS, Jamo, etc all make some pretty inexpensive 5.0 speaker set ups.

Get a self powered Subwoofer, especially if movies are important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk /forum/post/20808766

Just some suggestions.

Get a system that has a real receiver, not some combo DVD/amp. You won't be able to upgrade with a lot of Htibs.

Get a system that has speakers from a company that is known for making speakers. Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, SLS, Jamo, etc all make some pretty inexpensive 5.0 speaker set ups.

Get a self powered Subwoofer, especially if movies are important.

All welcome and noted suggestions
I just wish I knew where to look for this kind of stuff that sells it at a reasonable price up here!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're most interested in sound and not your receiver's video processing (since Blu-Ray players already do a good job of that) or "future proofing" for the advent of 3D....

Then I'd look very hard at the SLS Q-line Gold (you can find it on Amazon) it's a discontinued model circa 2007-ish that was made by a big time pro sound company. The price is $380 and you won't find anything that *even remotely* sounds this good for under $800.

It has a real receiver (Sherwood 6105) with all the expected connections except HDMI. The company is known for making (pro) speakers and the ribbon tweeter, kevlar woofer mains and sattelites are absolutely exceptional for the price.

They're available probably through the end of the year then that's it. There's a big thread about them in this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts