AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here's the deal. This is my first time having a dedicated theatre room. Walls are dark burgundy, ceiling is black...completely dedicated. Room is 15' wide by 22' long. First row is at about 12-13'. Projector will be ceiling mounted wherever it works the best..The room is prewired for 7.1 I don't have the time to do all the research, so I am really trusting the experts here to help me out. Here are my questions:

1. I know there is a huge price difference, but outside of that, should I go with the Epson 7500UB, which seems to have great reviews, or the JVC RS20 which also has great reviews.

2. Which screen should I go with? I am leaning toward a 120" Dalite HP

3. I also need a full surround sound system including sub.

My max budget is 10k

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojim /forum/post/15568516

Ok...here's the deal. This is my first time having a dedicated theatre room. Walls are dark burgundy, ceiling is black...completely dedicated. Room is 15' wide by 22' long. First row is at about 12-13'. Projector will be ceiling mounted wherever it works the best..The room is prewired for 7.1 I don't have the time to do all the research, so I am really trusting the experts here to help me out. Here are my questions:

1. I know there is a huge price difference, but outside of that, should I go with the Epson 7500UB, which seems to have great reviews, or the JVC RS20 which also has great reviews.

2. Which screen should I go with? I am leaning toward a 120" Dalite HP

3. I also need a full surround sound system including sub.

My max budget is 10k

Thanks for your help!

Congrtas for having a new theater room. So ur lokking for brand new projector. U had listed Epson and JVC. Out of these, u must go for Epson. I had personally used it and its really Wow!!!! As ur requirements, i suggest you to got for Epson ENSBLHD1080.

It is 1080p projector with integrated surround sound speaker cradle. 100-inch, electric screen with integrated LCR speakers. Custom-designed Atlantic Technology 5.1 surround sound system and 10-inch subwoofer with all channels of amplification. Audio/video controller with dual HDMI inputs and 1080p up-conversion with built-in progressive-scan DVD player. Pre-programmed LCD remote controller. All mounting brackets, cables and wire management tracks.

Above all its in ur budget. U can buy it from expo store or online from www.electronics-expo.com

So have a gr8 weekned with ur new projector.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would call the forum store, AV Science Store. I as well as many on this forum purchased our equipment from them. They have great prices, comparable to many disreputable internet sites, with incredible customer service.

Call and ask. Give them a budget and start at the projector and work your way down the list. Your question is way too broad and you'll get way too many conflicting opinions.

If I were in your shoes, I would be leaning towards the RS10 with a Carada Brilliant White. Then go from there. With what's left over, you should have enough for a good receiver, speakers (which might cost more than you think) and a player.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpindersohi /forum/post/15570005

Congrtas for having a new theater room. So ur lokking for brand new projector. U had listed Epson and JVC. Out of these, u must go for Epson. I had personally used it and its really Wow!!!! As ur requirements, i suggest you to got for Epson ENSBLHD1080.

It is 1080p projector with integrated surround sound speaker cradle. 100-inch, electric screen with integrated LCR speakers. Custom-designed Atlantic Technology 5.1 surround sound system and 10-inch subwoofer with all channels of amplification. Audio/video controller with dual HDMI inputs and 1080p up-conversion with built-in progressive-scan DVD player. Pre-programmed LCD remote controller. All mounting brackets, cables and wire management tracks.

Above all its in ur budget. U can buy it from expo store or online from www.electronics-expo.com

So have a gr8 weekned with ur new projector.

Wow...sales pitch anyone?????

I personally have the 6500UB (which is basically a 7500UB minus a few features) with an Elite Screens 106" (white - 1.1 gain). Its absolutely beautiful. Emotiva has some good audio electronics for great prices - ascend acoustics and HSU are good speakers for the money. A lot of the fun is in the research!! (The only reason I mentioned all the brands above is because that's what I have, and it makes an awesome complete package. AV123 is a good place for speakers as well).

Good Luck

Not slamming the guy above, but I do always check places before I order online:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Electronics_Expo versus, oh, I don't know, maybe this: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Visual_Apex

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,406 Posts
With a budget of (only) $10K, you're going to need to set some limits for how to build a HT. You can easily spend that amount of the PJ and screen alone or on speakers and AMP alone. Some compromises are required. Speakers and the screen are two items that you'll probably never have to upgrade in your HT, so make sure you get those right the first time.

My suggestion is to buy used speakers as you can save some decent money that way and there's not a lot that can go wrong with them. Hopefully, you have some idea of what size/type you want and can audition them. Try to keep all 7.1 from the same manufacturer and driver size. And don't scrimp on the center channel since most/all of the important dialog will come from that speaker. Personally, I love Definitive Technology, but that may be more than your budget can handle. $10K isn't a lot when you have to buy a PJ, screen, AMP, 7 speakers, powered sub, and source. Sounds like you have the room built and seating already, so that's good.

I'd probably start by spending less on a PJ and wait on the screen (leave that wall white for now), buy a nice 7.1 AMP (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.), and use the rest on great speakers. Save for a screen and pick up a nice 2.35:1 down the road. If you must have the screen now, seriously consider taking that out of the PJ budget. Pick up a used older model PJ and live with it for the life of a bulb. Take your time and save more that PJ upgrade since that will be the one item in your HT that evolves the most rapidly, comes down in price the fastest, and the one that you will most likely upgrade over any other item.

Just my two cents, but that's how I'd do it. Try to find a new Panny, used RS1, etc. for under $2500, spend $1200 on screen, $1300 or less on AMP, and $5K or more on the speakers. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I agree with Steven above,

Buy a used or a cheaper projector, combine it with a Carada BW or a Da-Lite HP, and put the money on a good amplifier and speakers. Then you can upgrade the projector in the future. Since the development in projection technology is really fast, it doesn't make sence to splash out too much on the pj and compromise everything else. However, this is just my humble opinion. If audio isn't important to you (but why would you then want 7.1?), you can spend more on the projector.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Get the rs10 imo, almost as good as rs20 and not nearly as expensive, and I don't think anything else close to its price can compare. But if you must settle for under $3k pj, get the epson 6500ub, not the "panny", it has superior contrast, sharpness and brightness and PQ is more important than features, imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so you all are helping me make up my mind with solid information and wisdom. I have decided not to get the JVC rs20 as that will kill most of my budget. So, here is my next question: Should I get the Epson 6500UB, the 7500UB or is the JVC rs10 that much better than the Epson?

Thanks,

JIM

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojim /forum/post/15572627

Ok, so you all are helping me make up my mind with solid information and wisdom. I have decided not to get the JVC rs20 as that will kill most of my budget. So, here is my next question: Should I get the Epson 6500UB, the 7500UB or is the JVC rs10 that much better than the Epson?

Thanks,

JIM

Like ur budget, Epson 6500UB is in limits but if u wana spend some extra $$$$ then u must go for JVC.

searcht he prices from all vendors nd then compare with electronics-expo website and make decision according tot hat.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojim /forum/post/15572627

Thanks,

JIM

Go and watch the projectors! I know people who think the Epson is superior to the RS10, and this is also the opinion of a very well respected dealer and HT-guru who carries both brands...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/15573422

Go and watch the projectors! I know people how think the Epson is superior to the RS10, and this is also the opinion of a very well respected dealer and HT-guru who carries both brands...

Can you elaborate on that a bit more? I've never seen any similar opinions yet. I'd like to read what exactly that person had to say about both of them. Unfortunately in my location it's impossible to demo any projectors.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15574452

Can you elaborate on that a bit more? I've never seen any similar opinions yet. I'd like to read what exactly that person had to say about both of them. Unfortunately in my location it's impossible to demo any projectors.

His opinion was that the epson is a bit sharper, has better colors and, albeit not as deep blacks, still better shadow detail. Overall he meant that it was a close call but that he favoured the epson.

My point is that it is subjective which feature or drawback is more important. Therefore you can't say that the RS10 is the best sub 4k projector. It is just an opinion and many others will have a different view. You have to look at them yourself to find out which works better for you. If you can't you're in a bit of a tight spot. I suppose you could go after which aspects of the picture that are most important to you and which technology you have favoured in the past, but it is no substitute for the real comparison.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
That'd be strange for JVC to have inferior shadow detail to Epson, according the Art of projectorreviews Epson's relatively weak spot is precisely the shadow detail, and he praised the older JVC's for theirs. Were both projectors optimally calibrated during the comparison? What I'm mostly curious about is which one provides more "pop" and 3D illusion.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mojim I would do the opposite of some of the recommendations given. I would definitely get the RS10 for the projector. The RS10 is a fabulous projector, I have one and you should not have to upgrade for years. I would also decide what size you need and get a good screen like the Carada or Da-Lite. I would use the rest of the budget for used speakers and electronics. I would look for a used Integra 9.8 processor and a good multichannel amp then find a used set of matched speakers. The audio side is important but lets face it the video is why we all have home theaters. I think it's a lot easier to upgrade speakers and electronics then the projector and screen combination.

Earl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts