AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time lurker/reader, posting for the first time. Really admire all the expertise on this board. You've helped me calibrate displays, learn the ins and outs of Audyssey, and pointed me to gear I would never have considered, so I am turning to you all for a little help.

I am looking to upgrade my receiver. Currently, I am running an old Onkyo HT-RC160. I've been happy with it, for the most part, but am beginning to think I could get more out of what I have, especially with the recent purchase of new speakers. The Onkyo only uses Audyssey 2EQ, which I know is the most basic version. Right now, the Onkyo drives two Polk RtiA3 as the LR mains, a Polk Audio CsiA4 center channel, and a BIC America F12 subwoofer. Because we rent, we can't run rear surround speakers (the wiring would be impossible), so the room is strictly 3.1

The room itself is a tough one. Because of the design, the tv has to sit in the corner. Hardwood floors, lots of reflective surfaces, couch against a back wall. I'm wondering if a higher level of Audyssey would help tame the room. The main uses of the system are two channel music and hdtv. We do watch some blu-rays, but not that often.

I've been looking at the Denon AVR-2113. It has Audyssey XT, plenty of power, etc. The thread on the forum about the receiver has been crazy helpful, but I also want to make sure I shouldn't be looking at something else that might sound better, be a better deal. Marantz perhaps? Pioneer? Yamaha? Any advice, help you all could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It sounds like your room is going to be too big of an obstacle to overcome for Audyssey to make a big difference. It is a really good tool but it can't work miracles. XT is of course better than 2EQ but I don't think it would make that much of an improvement in a room that challenging. If your TV is in the corner then I would guess your speakers have to be up against a wall? Between those reflections off the wall and the hard wood floors you have too many issues for audyssey to overcome. I think you would do better posting pictures of the room and trying to get advice on room treatments and speaker placement. If there are some features you are wanting in the 2113 then that's fine but I wouldn't do it for sound quality unless you can address some of the room problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers do sit in the corner. I've been able to get the back of the speakers to each be about 10 inches from the walls. The left speaker is pretty open to the room (the nearest side walls are a good 3-4 feet from it). The right speaker has a wall about 1 foot to it's right. It is toed in towards the room to help compensate for that. The LR mains are about 10 feet from my listening position, and they are spaced about 5 feet apart. I'm not opposed to room treatments, but since we do rent, we are a little limited. As to speaker placement, there just is not another spot in the room. A fireplace dominates the center of one wall, so the tv and speakers have to go to either the left or right of it., which means corners. Not ideal, but little choice, sadly.

Still, any ideas you can offer to help (aside from or including a new receiver) are very, very welcome.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
How would you describe the sound in your room now?

You would probably get more out of treating the room how you treat it would depend on how it sounds now.

At a minimum you can play with speaker placement (angle, closer or further from the wall).

Play with the tone controls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, I would describe the sound as a little muddy. I get good stereo separation with the way the speakers are set up now (vocals seems to come from an "invisible" center speaker), but I also feel like everything kind of muddles together. Instruments don't seem as clear or as defined as they could be, and bass alternates between too much and too little (which is why i liked the idea of Audyssey XT since it EQ's the sub).

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
XT may help some with bass because it sounds like you have some frequencies that are being canceled out by the room. Again without testing it’s hard to say exactly how much it will help. At least if you buy the 2113 from somewhere with a good return policy you could test it and return it if your not satisfied with the results. When I got the 3311 I had good results using XT but I still felt like something was missing so I added another sub and that really helped to even things out.

The muddy sound you’re getting probably wont change much just from using a higher version of Audyssey. Of course XT will do more than 2EQ and XT32 would be even better but still the acoustic problems of the room will cause issues. Also having the speakers only 5 feet apart will make your soundstage more narrow. Since you can’t do much with the walls I think a good thick area rug would be a good place to start. There are some good posts in the Audio theory, setup and chat subforum on room acoustics and treatment options. If you make a thread there and ask for advice make sure you post pics of the room. You can also check out the crawl test for subwoofer placement because that might help with your bass problem some as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts