AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 800x600 projector that I've been using to watch regular TV on. After 4 years and 2 bulbs, suddenly I'm having a nightmare of a time finding a replacement bulb. Considering how much I paid for the projector, this is rather upsetting.

I've found a distributor through Toshiba that says they can special order it from Toshiba. I'm doubtful they'll be able to get it, so I'm investigating other options.

I see that HDTV projectors can be had for $3,000. The question is, if I were to spend $3-4,000, what would I get? I would hope that it can display 800x600 computer graphics at least.

The current projector is 500 lumens, which is more than adequate, as it's 19' from the wall and I'm making a 14' picture that's acceptably bright but not washed out.

I don't use much HDTV right now, only DVD, so a super picture is not a necessity. I am projecting on a latex painted wall, not a screen. I'd be curious to find out what good paint costs.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I got a refurbished NEC VT540 from John Andrews ( [email protected] ) for $2995 + shipping. It offers XGA resolution (1024X768), HDTV support for 480p/720p/1080i as well as regular NTSC/PAL/SECAM, 1000 lumens of brightness, and could be zoomed from 10-12.2 feet (diagonal 4:3) at your 19 foot throw.

Based on what you just said in your message, I'll drop a buck into a jar for every DVD I view, and try to keep 2 spare bulbs on hand - that way I'll have one or two to sell with the projector if they go unavailable, which would be fair - or maybe I'd have 4000 hours of viewing on the shelf. That's still one better than my first projector, an old CRT unit which got scrapped because it was worth less than the cost of re-tubing.

For lots of tips on cheap screens, try the "Screens" forum here at AVS. I just use a white bedsheet, covered with Behr "Luminous White" tinting base in eggshell finish with no color pigments at all, streched and stapled over a simple wood frame with a black-painted wood shadowbox frame to prevent light scatter around the screen. If you are gonna try for a 14' diagonal picture again, maybe you should just paint the wall with that paint, fabric is hard to find wider than 60".

Gary

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TLP411U if memory serves. The digits and U at the end are most certainly correct. The P I'm not sure about.

3LCD number, 500 lumens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.