AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am just moved in with my Fiance and get to take over the office as my home theater/man room. I am pretty excited since this is the first time I've had a room where I can really customize the setup, but have a run into a couple of things where I wanted to get some other opinions.

Equipment:
4 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
1 Pioneer SP-C22
NXG BAS-500 Sub (looking to replace it with a Reaction Audio Echo 15 but that will be a separate thread)
Denon AVR-2113CI
Samsung 60" F8500 Plasma
Low Profile HTPC
Logitech Smart Hub
Xbox 360
Amazon Fire TV

Room - Not really ideal due to the built-in shelving and desk in the back which really limits seating options.

See the thumbnail below for the room dimensions.

Pictures of the Room. (The drying rack and the black bookshelf won't be there.)

Ipad Mockup of the room

So here are issues I am facing:

Speaker Placement - I love the Pioneers but I am not sure about wall mounting them. Related to this is how to run the speaker wire to the rears in the cleanest way possible. This is the top floor and the attic is accessible, but I might consult with an electrician about what they think would be easiest (obviously I would need to determine my ideal speaker placement first). Potentially the simplest option would be to put the rears on stands, keep them in the front and move them to the desired position when watching movies.

TV Stand - Currently I have this stand on backorder at Best Buy (unfortunately won't get shipped until 5/20) as it seems like a very well designed. However this stand from Costco caught my eye with some decent features at a much cheaper price and I could pick it up tomorrow from a local store. There might be some additional modifications to this stand (like drilling additional wire routing holes), but I wanted to see what other people thought.

Networking - So my router (R7000) and NAS are in the right side of built-in shelving and I am considering running ethernet to the phone jack at the front of the room. This room is on the second floor with the attic crawlspace right above. Another and potentially easier option would be to just use powerline for networking purposes. Any thoughts on what would be best?

Seating - As you can see from the mockup, the big downside to the room the lack of seating space. We are getting a three person couch, but I wasn't sure if other people had any creative ideas to fit additional people if we had company.

Thanks for any advice or ideas!

·
Registered
425 Posts
So I am just moved in with my Fiance and get to take over the office as my home theater/man room. I am pretty excited since this is the first time I've had a room where I can really customize the setup, but have a run into a couple of things where I wanted to get some other opinions.

Equipment:
4 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
1 Pioneer SP-C22
NXG BAS-500 Sub (looking to replace it with a Reaction Audio Echo 15 but that will be a separate thread)
Denon AVR-2113CI
Samsung 60" F8500 Plasma
Low Profile HTPC
Logitech Smart Hub
Xbox 360
Amazon Fire TV

Room - Not really ideal due to the built-in shelving and desk in the back which really limits seating options.

See the thumbnail below for the room dimensions.

Pictures of the Room. (The drying rack and the black bookshelf won't be there.)

Ipad Mockup of the room

So here are issues I am facing:

Speaker Placement - I love the Pioneers but I am not sure about wall mounting them. Related to this is how to run the speaker wire to the rears in the cleanest way possible. This is the top floor and the attic is accessible, but I might consult with an electrician about what they think would be easiest (obviously I would need to determine my ideal speaker placement first). Potentially the simplest option would be to put the rears on stands, keep them in the front and move them to the desired position when watching movies.

TV Stand - Currently I have this stand on backorder at Best Buy (unfortunately won't get shipped until 5/20) as it seems like a very well designed. However this stand from Costco caught my eye with some decent features at a much cheaper price and I could pick it up tomorrow from a local store. There might be some additional modifications to this stand (like drilling additional wire routing holes), but I wanted to see what other people thought.

Networking - So my router (R7000) and NAS are in the right side of built-in shelving and I am considering running ethernet to the phone jack at the front of the room. This room is on the second floor with the attic crawlspace right above. Another and potentially easier option would be to just use powerline for networking purposes. Any thoughts on what would be best?

Seating - As you can see from the mockup, the big downside to the room the lack of seating space. We are getting a three person couch, but I wasn't sure if other people had any creative ideas to fit additional people if we had company.

Thanks for any advice or ideas!
How far away is your seating? What are your viewing habits? Have you thought about going the front projector route?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How far away is your seating? What are your viewing habits? Have you thought about going the front projector route?
1. Seating is about 8 feet away
2. Viewing will be 60% Movies, 30% TV, 10% Video Games
3. My budget will be pretty much shot after I buy a new sub so for now I am pretty locked into wall mounting that Samsung plasma.

Also as a general update I have decided to wall mount the Pioneers which will require some work in the attic along with the proposed Ethernet wall jack I will be putting in. After doing a lot of reading the process seems pretty straight forward for both, but when I poked my head in the attic, I found out that the house had about two feet of blown in insulation. So my first home project is going to be a major pain in the ass. The area I will be working in is shown in the second picture with all the HVAC ducting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The room is not very big, but not bad overall. The only issue I see is there seems to be a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. You'll need some room treatment to stop reflections, or you won't get the desired surround effects. Your original TV stand doesn't mention the material it's made from, the Costco does and doesn't list particle board. There has to be a reason the original doesn't mention it. I would check into it, especially for the price. We bought one from Samm's Club which was all solid wood, was less than $350 and weighs in at 175lbs. You may check them out. They will deliver to your home. Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The room is not very big, but not bad overall. The only issue I see is there seems to be a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. You'll need some room treatment to stop reflections, or you won't get the desired surround effects. Your original TV stand doesn't mention the material it's made from, the Costco does and doesn't list particle board. There has to be a reason the original doesn't mention it. I would check into it, especially for the price. We bought one from Samm's Club which was all solid wood, was less than $350 and weighs in at 175lbs. You may check them out. They will deliver to your home. Good luck, have fun.

Thanks for the input. Where would be best places in the room to place the acoustic treatments and what kind would I be looking at?

As for the TV stand, I ended up cancelling the colfax from best buy and ended up ordering a Sanus steel series open style for half the price. I figure I can out the extra savings to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Some type of floor covering would be good, area rug, throw rugs, etc... Maybe one just in front of the TV for reflections off the floor. Some type of absorbing materials like books, drapes etc on the back wall for slap echo. Also acoustic panels at the first reflection points of the main speakers. You can build or buy these. There's a thread on this site for panels you can cover with fabric with movie posters printed on them. I think it's a great idea.

You may not need all of these. The idea is to balance the amount of hard reflective surfaces in the room. Reflections cause blurred imaging making it difficult where instruments are placed in the soundfield, or movement in movies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts