AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Budget: Under $300 w shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits: None.

3. Room dimensions: Total room is 15 x 27 feet, with cathedral ceiling peaking at 15'. However, the "family room" seating area with TV and stereo is about 2/3 of this space. Note: Space has concrete floor, wood plank ceiling, and walls of mostly glass, wood framing, stonework and wall of wood bookshelves (where the rear surrounds are.) Very little carpeting or wallboard.

4. Primary uses: 70% TV viewing, 30% music listening, all using an AVR (likely a Denon 1912). Speakers, all at "ear level" or higher, are a Def Tech Mythos Solo (unpowered L/C/R combo unit) at front, and Polk R15 bookshelf units for rear surrounds.

5. Listening habits: Pop, rock, classical music at low to moderate levels; DVDs and TV at low to moderate levels; Wii gaming for the teens. Not a lot of sci-fi, action/adventure or fantasy stuff being played, except for the occasional Star Wars movie marathon staged by my geeky 15 year old.

6. Appearance requirements: Not expecting anything too great in the budget category, but the unit will be sitting out in plain sight. May consider recovering/painting the enclosure for better appearance. Room is mostly natural wood.

7. Timeframe: Plenty of time. Have never had a home theater, let alone a subwoofer, so I'm just getting set up. The subwoofer may in fact be the last item installed, as the AVR is soaking up most of my available $$ right now.

Special considerations:

The R15s are admittedly not great beyond use as surrounds, so I will need to upgrade at some point for decent music listening. (Most music listening was previously done in another room using an older 2-channel system with good floor speakers.) Near-term concern is they lack mid-to-low bass capability.

Same worry re: the Mythos Solo unit. Per the manufacturer's own tech support department, "The Mythos Solo plays down to 50hz, however, its output is quite a bit reduced below 100hz or so. With this in mind, the Solo will blend better with a subwoofer if it were crossed over in the 100hz - 140hz range."

So...I'm worried about how to fill the gap between, say, 60hz and 140 hz, with what I have/can afford.

Is there any hope?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From past experience, on here, you are likely going to be told to buy a bunch of subs above your budget. I'll start. If you're going to get a BIC, look at the PL-200, only a little more and a lot more sub. Check Amazon, with free shipping. A buddy is looking at it, gets great reviews.

If this system is going to take a bit to get put together, can you wait and maybe budget more? If not, there are some really good (so I've heard) subs outside of BIC. Look at Lava, something makes me want to grab one of these. Hsu and Outlaw are good, but only the 8" are in your budget.

If you can get to a little over $500, you have a lot of options from Outlaw, Epik, Rythimik, Elemental Designs...You have a large room; it will easily make a small sub seem even smaller.

Since you have time, you can really find a few good subs that go on sale and wait for it to be at the right price.

Have you looked at the sticky at the top of the section? It is just a list of subs around $300. You're responsible for researchin.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger77 /forum/post/21627834

1. Budget: Under $300 w shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits: None.

3. Room dimensions: Total room is 15 x 27 feet, with cathedral ceiling peaking at 15'. However, the "family room" seating area with TV and stereo is about 2/3 of this space. Note: Space has concrete floor, wood plank ceiling, and walls of mostly glass, wood framing, stonework and wall of wood bookshelves (where the rear surrounds are.) Very little carpeting or wallboard.

4. Primary uses: 70% TV viewing, 30% music listening, all using an AVR (likely a Denon 1912). Speakers, all at "ear level" or higher, are a Def Tech Mythos Solo (unpowered L/C/R combo unit) at front, and Polk R15 bookshelf units for rear surrounds.

5. Listening habits: Pop, rock, classical music at low to moderate levels; DVDs and TV at low to moderate levels; Wii gaming for the teens. Not a lot of sci-fi, action/adventure or fantasy stuff being played, except for the occasional Star Wars movie marathon staged by my geeky 15 year old.

6. Appearance requirements: Not expecting anything too great in the budget category, but the unit will be sitting out in plain sight. May consider recovering/painting the enclosure for better appearance. Room is mostly natural wood.

7. Timeframe: Plenty of time. Have never had a home theater, let alone a subwoofer, so I'm just getting set up. The subwoofer may in fact be the last item installed, as the AVR is soaking up most of my available $$ right now.

Special considerations:

The R15s are admittedly not great beyond use as surrounds, so I will need to upgrade at some point for decent music listening. (Most music listening was previously done in another room using an older 2-channel system with good floor speakers.) Near-term concern is they lack mid-to-low bass capability.

Same worry re: the Mythos Solo unit. Per the manufacturer's own tech support department, "The Mythos Solo plays down to 50hz, however, its output is quite a bit reduced below 100hz or so. With this in mind, the Solo will blend better with a subwoofer if it were crossed over in the 100hz - 140hz range."

So...I'm worried about how to fill the gap between, say, 60hz and 140 hz, with what I have/can afford.

Is there any hope?

Thanks for any advice.

For under $300 the BIC F12 is popular and Newegg puts a Klipsch sub on sale for $300.

But that is a pretty large room, Your budget is very aggressive for a room that size.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Given the requirements you provided I would suggest looking into these units below as they should suit your need quite well:

Bic Pl-200: * can be had for around $265 shipped
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...stech+Speakers

Premier Acoustic PA-120: * can be had for around $200 + comes in wood/cherry
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...red+Subwoofers

* Klipsch RW D12 * sometimes can be hadd for $300 from New Egg

Another suggetion

Premier Acoustic PA-150
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...red+Subwoofers

* Pa-150 can be had for around $365. ITs $65 abouve your listed budget thou.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger77 /forum/post/21627834

re: the Mythos Solo unit. Per the manufacturer's own tech support department, "The Mythos Solo plays down to 50hz, however, its output is quite a bit reduced below 100hz or so. With this in mind, the Solo will blend better with a subwoofer if it were crossed over in the 100hz - 140hz range."

Is there any hope?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Hey, re: the above comment from Def Tech, do you think I should worry about potential gap?

Looking at this, it appears crossover will be set at about 140hz; will the recommended subs work "ok" set there?

-- Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^^

Any thoughts on this question? I love what I'm reading about the PA-120, just wonder if I'm setting myself up for failure given the Def Tech Mythos' steep rolloff (see Def Tech's note) and the generally mediocre Polk R15s.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The PA-120 has a lengthy owners thread . If you read in there, you'll probably find out how it does crossed over higher up. And you can always ask if you don't see the answer to that question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts