AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

First off - I'm new here so want to say hi! I look forward to participating in the forums as I am a big music and movie fan. The time has come when the "we'll do home theater when we finish the basement" is actually here. It has finally arrived,

The basement is quite large at 1200 sq ft. The movie viewing area is 13' from tv to viewer and 9' wide. Behind the listener is a half wall behind the sofa. To the left and right it is open to other areas of the basement.

I was thinking Marantz sr6006 as the receiver because I require phono in. Most receivers I was looking at that are cheaper would require a separate phono pre, which makes it close enough to the price for me to choose the Marantz.

The Marantz also has the mic and software to auto configure and I prefer this as I am not great at setting this stuff up,

The speakers must be bookshelf and total budget with receiver is around $2,300. I am hoping to get a bang for buck setup if possible and would consider another receiver if you guys think it's the way to go. Right now we're using the speakers in our LED so I'm guessing any setup is going to make a huge difference.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

P

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Marantz SR-6006 is a pretty good receiver, but I would not buy it based on its phono input. You will get much better LP sound if you buy a decent dedicated phono preamp anyway, like the Musical Fidelity V-LPS, which is under $200. The phono preamps that receivers do have as a built-ins are usually of marginal quality; not likely to satisfy most LP listeners.

The KEF iQ30 speakers are a great deal now, at only $399/pair, and that is a nice price on some good speakers. You can also get the iQ10 for $300/pair and the Q200c center channel for $449 at KEF Direct. That will be a great speaker system for a bit over $1000.

The Rythmic FV12 is a very good subwoofer for $549, and the Polk PSW505 is fairly good for $280.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
the onkyo 717 / 709 all have phono inputs, the 717 is the current model, but to save on budgeting you can look at www.accessories4less.com they have units that are refurbs, but they carry warranties and are very reputable on all HT based forums. Buying the 709 refurb $420 will leave more for the speakers and sub. Sub Id suggest that you look at the Hsu VTF-2 MK4 $549 www.hsuresearch.com

Onkyo 709 $420

Hsu VTF2.4 $549

Energy Veritas V5.2C speakers as the front 3 speakers, $299 each @ vanns.com, get the V5.1 bookshelfs for your surrounds $358/pr also at www.vanns.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everybody's great responses. I'm looking to do 5.1 (wanted to specify).

Do you guys own the speakers you recommended?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22117592

The Marantz SR-6006 is a pretty good receiver, but I would not buy it based on its phono input. You will get much better LP sound if you buy a decent dedicated phono preamp anyway, like the Musical Fidelity V-LPS, which is under $200. The phono preamps that receivers do have as a built-ins are usually of marginal quality; not likely to satisfy most LP listeners.

The KEF iQ30 speakers are a great deal now, at only $399/pair, and that is a nice price on some good speakers. You can also get the iQ10 for $300/pair and the Q200c center channel for $449 at KEF Direct. That will be a great speaker system for a bit over $1000.

The Rythmic FV12 is a very good subwoofer for $549, and the Polk PSW505 is fairly good for $280.

How do you think the KEF would compare to Polk rtia3' rtia1, csia6 and power 550 sub?

I'm assuming the iq30 would be main, 300 surrounds.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basements  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22117760

Thanks for everybody's great responses. I'm looking to do 5.1 (wanted to specify).

Thanks!

I used to own energys, but I've moved on. I found energy very enjoyable to listen to.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22117592

Just a heads up... the FV12 is out of production, and the replacement model won't be available until the end of this year.

Basements; why bookshelf speakers? Given the size of your room towers would be a better alternative.

·
Registered
19,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basements  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22117760

I have not owned the HSU package - however the different reports and reviews,

make it a good option to check into.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22117974

Just a heads up... the FV12 is out of production, and the replacement model won't be available until the end of this year.
Basements; why bookshelf speakers? Given the size of your room towers would be a better alternative.

Strange, I just went to their website and it says it's in stock and ready for shipping.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22118204

Strange, I just went to their website and it says it's in stock and ready for shipping.

You sure it was the FV12? It's been listed as out of stock for weeks.

·
Registered
19,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22118225

You sure it was the FV12? It's been listed as out of stock for weeks.

Still is

FV12 ported sub black oak with 300WRMS amp (out of stock)

FV12 ported sub black matte with 300WRMS amp (out of stock)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't know your typical listening levels but IMO you're probably gonna need some really large bookshelfs for that room! Something with at least a 6.5" woofer, but to me even that's pushing it. In other words you really need something larger, either dual 6.5 inchers or a single 8", which is not easy to find these days in bookshelf form.*

Make sure you go out & do some speaker auditions in person. Several of the brands mentioned in this thread sound very different from each other and I'll guarantee you'll like one more than the others (my personal favorite pizza very likely won't be your personal favorite). And I highly recommend bringing along music you know well, because usually the salespeople willeither use some in-store CD that you have no idea of its quality, or much worse, a receiver's FM tuner. Not that the FM format itself is inherently bad, but because most radio stations add all kinds of sonic processing to the music, usually to make it sound good via a noisy car's substandard audio system.

BTW as a regular vinyl listener, I used my Pioneer and JVC receiver's built-in phono preamps for years and liked them.

FYI: that Marantz includes the ability to stream literally thousands of internet radio stations - those stations, particularly the listener supported/non-commercial ones**, have exposed me to crazy amounts of new and just plain great music. Not to mention news and other useful info. From all over the U.S. and the rest of the world. You can spend literally hours scanning through all the stations that are available.

* they do exist though, though at wildly different price points - for example: Sony SS-B3000 with 8" woofer (IMO pleasant warmish sound & quite good for their @$100/pair street price); the MTX Monitor 60i with dual 6.5" woofers (most MTXs I've heard had punchy bass and slightly bright highs); then just a tad pricier :toothygrin:, the Spendor SP2/3R²

** many commercial stations used to be like this, before huge profits (what happened to reasonable profits?) became king and the music itself became a secondary priority at so many of them; now focus groups and soulless spreadsheets can decide what gets played :shakeshead: And so many of those stations wonder why their ratings are so low.......

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
donutfan is right, that room is the size of my home, so towers would be best, but that is also why I recommended the LCR speakers with 2 woofers to gain the extra output. Monitor Audio has 8" woofers on the RX2 speaker, but you might need to spend closer to $3k for that setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi crew!

What about the RTi A3 by Polk? They are 6.5" woofer. Could they work?

I'm going to read up on everybodys links now ( just got home). Ive read some great stuff on the Polk but some criticism too.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basements  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22119118

Hi crew!

What about the RTi A3 by Polk? They are 6.5" woofer. Could they work?

I'm going to read up on everybodys links now ( just got home). Ive read some great stuff on the Polk but some criticism too.

Anything could "work". Heck someone suggest Sony B3000s. However I wouldnt buy either polks or sonys(actually I did buy those sonys they were terrible).

IF I were you Id look at PSB B6, Energy V5.2C, Energy RC-LCR, Monitor Audio BX2, Monitor Audio RX2, and others that have been provided above.

·
Registered
399 Posts
^ I'd rather have the Sonys than the Polks, even ones priced 2X or 3X more, because as far as most of the Polks sold at Busted Buy and back to Circuit City times are concerned, to my ears they have produced piercing/fatiguing highs that are only good for movie soundtracks. Music? No way.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/1414851/first-time-surround-sound-looking-for-recommendations#post_22118770

Monitor Audio has 8" woofers on the RX2 speaker.....
This has now been added to my mental list
of desirable speakers used as satellites (when paired with a subwoofer) for larger rooms and that should be able to easily handle an 80Hz xover point in a sat+sub system (in any size of room).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts