AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading a lot of posts tonight and I'm still unclear on what to get. I'll get right to it. I'm new to all of this so if I leave something out please tell me. I'm on a limited budget and just made purchases of a receiver and 5.0 speaker set. Onkyo 608 and Jamo s426. Got these because they seem to be decent choices and the price for them seemed good. $600 for both. I'm wanting to be in the $200 range for a sub. Room dimensions are 25x14 with a bar area separating the room for the system area at 14x16. Will be a 50/50 usage of music and TV, but more concerned with music quality. So far I've been looking at the Lava 10/12 and the BIC F12. Opinions and recommendations wanted without confusing me more. lol. Any other options I should strongly consider?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Are there any pros/cons to those models? Or is it just a matter of personal preference to sound? I'm kinda buying everything in the blind. Don't know what any of these models sound like. Don't know what I've already purchased sounds like either because they are being shipped to me now. I guess I'm a blind squirrel looking for a nut. I kinda got to drinking the Kool Aid in the Lava thread, but I didn't see anything about the 10. Anyone have experience with the Lava 10? Or would the F12 or the PA-120 be the better choice over the Lava 10?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I didn't explain my room size correctly. The overall open area is 25x14. It is divided by a bar. The area the HT will be in is 14x16. Planning on sub placement against the bar somewhere on the side of the TV area.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3850 /forum/post/19557984

Maybe I didn't explain my room size correctly. The overall open area is 25x14. It is divided by a bar. The area the HT will be in is 14x16. Planning on sub placement against the bar somewhere on the side of the TV area.

The sub is still going to "see" the 25x14 area, bar or not, so I would go with the bigger sub. The bar might help a little, but you still have to go by the larger air volume.

Acoustical physics don't really respect arbitrary HT room delineations.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3850 /forum/post/19556106

Ive been reading a lot of posts tonight and I'm still unclear on what to get. I'll get right to it. I'm new to all of this so if I leave something out please tell me. I'm on a limited budget and just made purchases of a receiver and 5.0 speaker set. Onkyo 608 and Jamo s426. Got these because they seem to be decent choices and the price for them seemed good. $600 for both. I'm wanting to be in the $200 range for a sub. Room dimensions are 25x14 with a bar area separating the room for the system area at 14x16. Will be a 50/50 usage of music and TV, but more concerned with music quality. So far I've been looking at the Lava 10/12 and the BIC F12. Opinions and recommendations wanted without confusing me more. lol. Any other options I should strongly consider?

where'd you pick them up for at that price???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts