AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've put together many computers in the past but never for HTPC purposes and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on the audio side of things so I can play movies from my computer to my TV.

I'm a college student so this will be used for school, movies and some gaming.

Here's what I have:

Thermaltake Kandalf ATX Liquid Cooling System Case

EVGA Nvidia 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Koutech IO-RCM620 USB 2.0 3.5" Card Reader

Thermaltake PSU 850W ATX12V

Seagate 1.5 TB HDD

Seagate 750 GB HDD

Seagate 500 GB HDD

Corsair Dominator 4GB 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fata1lty (Got this a long time ago, come with a hub too)

EVGA nVidia GTX 280

LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM

Keyboard: Getting Logitech Di Novo Edge

Speakers:

Logitech Z-5450 5.1 Wireless Speakers (Considering a Polk 360 Surround Bar, is this advisable or should I stick with the Logitects)

TV:

Samsung LED UN467000 (Arriving soon
)

Displays:

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22-inch LCD Monitor

Dell SP2309W

Software: PowerDvd - Came with the LG Drive, and I've been playing Blu-Ray movies on my computer with it.

I have three goals that I need advice for.

1. I want to watch TV and listen through my Logitech Speakers. How do I do this and what cables do I need? I'm very much a computer guy, so I don't know ANYTHING about audio cables. I've been getting alot of conflicting answers like buying an Internal SPDIF cable (which I'm still not quite sure what it is and where I plug in) so any solutions as well as advice on whether this is a good idea or not would be appreciated!

2. I primarily download my Blu-Ray movies (in .mkv format) but I also have a good collection of Blu-Ray discs. Because I already have a Blu-Ray reader, I want to save money and just play movies from my computer. What cables do I need in order to play movies from my HDD or my Blu-Ray Reader on to my computer? I have already purchased a DVI to HDMI port and have HDMI Cables so the video part is taken care of. However, I'm not too sure about the audio side of things. I've been hearing I need some kind of optical toslink.

I've checked the audio outputs on my sound card, the control unit for my speakers and my media hub and I found a couple inputs/outputs that I'm not too sure what they're for and was hoping you all could answer for me.

Whats the difference between Coaxial SPDIF and Optical SPDIF? I have those two ports on my X-Fi I/O drive and then I also have a Digital I/O hole on my Xfi sound card.

3. I own a XBox 360 and am looking to use it as a Media extender. Will using the 360 as a extender complicate or simply my previous two goals?

Do I need any other cables in order for my goals to work out? Sorry for the long read, but I really am new at the audio side of things, so I'd greatly appreciate your patience in explaining what I need to buy to make these things happen and what your thoughts are on my setup.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
1. You want to watch TV via the PC and listen through the logitech, or you want to watch tv from your tv and listen through the logitech?

2. If you use the PC for gaming connect to the logitech's via 3x 3.5mm stereo male to male headphone cables. If it's only used for media playback then use either digital co-ax (RCA), or optical toslink (they botch carry the same SPDIF signal).

Quote:
Whats the difference between Coaxial SPDIF and Optical SPDIF?

They're different types of cables that do the same thing. So don't worry yourself about which one you choose.

3. If your PC is in the same room as the xbox don't bother using it as a media extender.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to do both. I want to watch movies via the PC and listen through the logitech, AND watch tv from my TV and listen through the logitech speakers.

Will I need any other cables besides the one you listed? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/16995916

1. You want to watch TV via the PC and listen through the logitech, or you want to watch tv from your tv and listen through the logitech?

2. If you use the PC for gaming connect to the logitech's via 3x 3.5mm stereo male to male headphone cables. If it's only used for media playback then use either digital co-ax (RCA), or optical toslink (they botch carry the same SPDIF signal).

They're different types of cables that do the same thing. So don't worry yourself about which one you choose.

3. If your PC is in the same room as the xbox don't bother using it as a media extender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.