AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got my new tv out of the way, I'm looking to build myself a nice sound system. As my budget is currently very limited(800-900 for now) my plan was to buy a receiver, sub, and a pair of quality fronts and add the center and surrounds later down the road.

However, I've started reading a lot about these DIY projects, and it looks like I could save some cash, get better quality, and learn something new all at once.

Now in relation to this I have a few questions. First of all, what would be the best bet for a pair of mains no more than $300 including cabinet materials? Preferably floorstanding, with very good mid and highs. Doesn't need to put out much bass as I will have a subwoofer in this system. Needs to be relatively easy to build(any prefab enclosures would be a plus as my woodworking skills blow).

Second, what kind of commercial speakers would these compare to? For 300 bucks can I get something equivalent to a $600 retail pair of speakers? I was looking at picking up a pair of these http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...833394&sr=8-10 for my fronts. How would a $300 DIY kit compare to those?

Thanks in advance, and keep in mind anything you guys suggest will probably be a major upgrade over what I'm using right now

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just built the Tritrix kit, lcr for my daughter and son in law. I think that for the money it sounds terrific. But I built the cabinets myself and if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the pre built cabinets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen /forum/post/16970182

I just built the Tritrix kit, lcr for my daughter and son in law. I think that for the money it sounds terrific. But I built the cabinets myself and if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the pre built cabinets.

Do you have any retail speakers to compare them to? I read up on a lot of this stuff, but quite frankly the number crunching is just way over my head. People can throw out lots of frequency response charts and details about the drivers, etc and it really doesn't give me much of an idea in my head of what the quality is like because it's just not something I'm well educated about. But I have heard a lot of setups, and I know what quality speakers sound like, so it would be nice to have some sort of reference point to work off of.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the more I read up on this stuff the more I am tempted to order the Tritrix MTM and RBv2 kits right now.

However I have a few questions on the finer details of assembling the Parts Express TL enclosure kit for the Tritrix design.

First of all, where exactly should I mount the crossover? I would imagine it can go anywhere in the enclosure, but I don't know what effect large objects inside a TL design have on the speaker's sound. I assume it would be ok to just mount it inside towards the bottom, kind of equidistant between the drivers and the binding posts?

Second, am I still supposed to use the insulating material that comes with the Tritrix kit in a TL enclosure, or is that only for sealed designs? If so, how should I be placing it? Just stuff the inside of the main compartment, or glue a layer of it onto all the internal surfaces?

Finally, regarding the finishing process, I have noticed that a lot of DYI designs have removable backplates or compartments for easy access to the inside, so that mounting the crossover and doing internal wiring can be done after the cabinet is completed, but this kit seems like a done deal once it's fully assembled. So would I be correct in assuming that my best bet for easy construction is to assemble the enclosure and leave one side exposed, then mount crossover and binding posts with some exposed wire hanging out of each of the baffle holes for the drivers, close up the enclosure and apply whatever finishing I want to the outside, and finally wire the drivers and mount them?

Sorry I'm not a big DIY guy so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this type of stuff. I am capable, just not knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.