AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I picked up a used table. Its a Sota Star from mid 90s. I need to get a Phono Stage for it. Any recommendations? I am looking to spend 500 used max on the stage.

I plan on sending the unit into Sota to have it looked over.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am thinking of trying the PS Audio GCPH i have their headphone amp and are happy with it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
The PS Audio is a nice phono pre. What type of cartridge does it have?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shure sme arm.. No cartridge on it ATM thinking grado since I like the pair of headphones from them. I am thinking Sonata1.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
you may want to check out the Musical Surroundings - Nova Phonomena. It is a MM/MC Phono stage that is battery operated. The batteries are rechargeable in the unit. I have seen one for $700 used. But, maybe they can be had for $500? This is another unit that I am looking at.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input. i am going with ps audio gcph to start out. got it brand new with warranty for 699.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
you paid too much

·
Registered
986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taam /forum/post/18286536

thanks for the input. i am going with ps audio gcph to start out. got it brand new with warranty for 699.

WOW...The Parasound Zphono would have cost you only $200 and probably sound just as good.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/18290151

WOW...The Parasound Zphono would have cost you only $200 and probably sound just as good.

probably not
One of the only Parasound products that is only Aah.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/18290151

maybe, maybe not BUT the PSaudio has WAY more flexability

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have active speakers so I like the factthat I do not need a preamp with the ps audio. Btw hooked it up this weekend and I love what I hear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome, I used to own the PS audio and loved it as well--definitely competes with even more expensive units. Also used to own the Zphono; outstanding for less then 2 bills, but indeed the GCPH sounded even better IMHO.

·
Registered
633 Posts
how is the chinese tube gear (yaqin)? they seem to garner good reviews, and at the price, it certainly seems worth a look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts