AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the special opportunity to play with a sneak peak version of the XBox last night - hooked up to my hometheater. What an awesome gaming experience, I played until my fingers went numb.

The timing was quite good, as I had just received the High-Def accessory pack from EBGames as part of my online pre-order. The accessory pack has a short cable that plugs into the back of the XBox, and exposes 1 stereo pair of audio connectors, 1 set of component video connectors, and 1 toslink digital audio connector.

I ripped the PS2 from my setup, and put the XBox in its place. I pulled the VGA cable from my HTPC and used a VGA breakout cable to connect it through some BNC to RCA adapters to the XBox. This works since the VGA cable feeds a LT150 projector which supports both component and RGB through its VGA connector. The toslink cable went straight into the Meridian decoder, which powered a full 5.1 speaker setup.

First stop was the XBox configuration menu (which is beautifully animated BTW, makes the PS2 look Atari like). The audio screen had three questions: audio mode (mono, stereo, Dolby), Does your system support Dolby Digital (yes/no), and Does your system support DTS (yes/no). The video configuration screen asked four questions: Preferred format (standard, letterbox, widescreen), Does your system support 480p (yes/no), Does your system support 720p (yes/no), and 1080i (yes/no). I answered yes to all the questions and rebooted (hit the power button).

I only had one game, Halo, which from the opening sequence ran in 480p with Dolby Digital sound (thanks to the Nvidia chip's real time Dolby Digital encoder). The affect was amazing. The game looked beautiful projected on a 65" 4:3 screen, and the surround sound was jaw-dropping. You could stand and face a speaking character and the dialog would come right out of the center speaker, then spin around and listen as the dialog spins around the room relative to your position! Chasing those short little alien guys is much easier when you can pinpoint their relative position by listening for which direction the noise they make is coming from (the commandos' dialog is more entertaining however).

I will defer to game websites to write-up all the game play details, but I wanted to comment on the hometheater compatibility features here where I suspect there is much interest.

Scott

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Scott:

___I am partial to Unreal Championship, NASCAR Thunder, and AirForce Delta Storm from the empty boxes I have been drueling over ;) Anyway, I believe this is the answer for the gaming HT crowd given the overall cheap price and performance to make a hopped up GeForce3 Ti 500 cringe ;)

___Quick question: You didn’t happen to have the opportunity to view the DVD Movie playback kit w/ the progressive features in tact, did you? I don’t think the Radeon has anything to worry about w/ the display coming from a modded GeForce but the interface intrigues me. Have you seen anything on this or will you have the chance to let your fingers heal while watching a DVD on the X-Box tonight or tomorrow? If so, please report back ASAP.

___By the way, thanks for the review!

As an edit, I saw the demo display and it mentioned Progressive DVD playback but the X-Box Hi Def AV Pack page only mentions NTSC?

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you see the resolution Halo was running at on your projector display or the Halo Software?

Can you expand at all on the supported resolutions?

Thx!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Quick question: You didn’t happen to have the opportunity to view the DVD Movie playback kit w/ the progressive features in tact, did you?
As per the XBOX website, it is 480i only.

Quote:
Did you see the resolution Halo was running at on your projector display or the Halo Software?

Can you expand at all on the supported resolutions?
Halo is 480p 4:3 only. (no 16:9 with that game.)

The resolution is game specific. Most support 480p by default. (It is possible that some games will be 480i only, but none have been done that way yet.) If you want a 1080i or 720p game, you need to tell the game developers.

BTW Scott, I have a couple of DVD Movie playback kits if...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Halo is 480p 4:3 only. (no 16:9 with that game.)
i'm sorry but you are wrong. halo DOES support 16x9...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Really? Every time I try and play it on a 16x9 TV, I have to put it (The TV) into 4:3 mode. (XBOX is set to 16x9)

Halo will not be the only game that is 4:3.

Like Mr. Evans mentioned above, the DD 5.1 realtime is awesome!

What resolution does the setup screen run? 480i, 1080i, etc?

Thx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did try the DVD playback. The user experience was nice with the remote control - but my standards are pretty low as I never purchased the DVD remote for the PS2 (trying to find a specific test pattern in Avia using a game controller isn't fun).

Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed with the picture quality. I had ultra-high expectations with perfection seeking Stacey on the case, but I think DVD playback has been sabotaged by politics with the limiting of playback to 480i. The interlaced picture combined with the internal scaler of the LT150 couldn't compete with the HTPC picture I have become accustomed to. I watched the first few minutes of Shrek through the XBox, but I had to stop and put the disk into the PC to continue watching happily. Stacey, you couldn't convince Seamus to stand up and ship with progressive DVD playback?

I verified that the setup screen and DVD was 480i and Halo was 480p by using the projector's information menu which reports input format information.

The controller feels a bit big in my hands, and I don't like the slanted arrangement of the colored buttons, I always miss and reload instead of switching weapons. The Japanese version of the XBox controller I fondled for a while seemed much more natural, maybe I have small hands.

Anyway, I eagerly await the 15th. I have to find some friends who also have XBoxes on order to try out the 'up to four XBoxes, with four players per XBox for a total of 16 players' multiplayer mode in Halo...

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
scott, if you choose only 1080 or 720 on the menu what res does

the xbox output?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Adebar,

you can't really see from that shot whether things are stretched or not. A closeup of a person would have been more helpful to judge deformation.

And if they indeed stretched it, that would certainly be more of a sign of ignorance, rather than audacity. My guess is that they didn't get a 4:3 screen that looks as fancy as the one used in your picture. And 16x9 screens are hip anyway, or so they probably thought.

On basically every console presentation that i have seen, where a 16x9 screen was used, the picture was filled/streched. They probably don't even know how to window-box it :p

What do you think?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Trevor,

i thought the discussion was about whether Halo is 16:9, and not NFL.

And if you ask me, the shot from NFL looks streched.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if Bjoern Roy is right i have been deceived by MS for over a year and this truly breaks my heart. i was looking forward to have a true next gen console that supported widescreen. i was probably in the first 10 pre orders from compusa.com because i was so excited about this thing. i will cancel my pre order this afternoon unless someone gives me a reason to keep it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Trevor,

i thought the discussion was about whether Halo is 16:9, and not NFL.

And if you ask me, the shot from NFL looks streched.

·
Registered
564 Posts
titans logo looks like a perfect circle to me. but its kind of hard to

tell in the isometric view.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Adebar,

as Stacey mentioned, there will be 16:9 titles and there might also be titles that are 4:3 only.

I am excited about 16:9 games, too. I doubt that not buying the console because some games aren't 16:9 is going to help. Let them know that you want all/most titles in 16:9.

In the long run (a console lifespan isn't in month, but years), i think most games will be 16:9, the AV extension kit is a hint that they have the HDTV market in mind, were 16:9 games are inevitable.

Regards

Bjoern

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.