AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to HT setups and have gotten my 5.0 system done thanks to the guys in the Speakers section here (Polk RTI's all around). Now I'm wanting to get the sub taken care of.

I have been reading a lot in this section over the last couple weeks and overall I've learned a little and been confused by more.

I have done car audio, was into it for many years, but that was nearly a decade ago, here was the last sub box I did:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/727968/2004-chevrolet-cavalier/photo-gallery

What I'm wanting is 1 18" sub, ported. The image I attached is the maximum space I can use. I'm pretty much set on the inuke 3000dsp, unless I'm told I need more for my sub choice.

The subs I'm looking at are Dayton HO18, Dayton UM18 or SI18. I've seen a lot of the x vs x threads and it looks like the UM is looking to be the most promising assuming it has enough space.

I can't really seem to find any SI vs HO threads though, So I am unsure where the SI would sit. I really don't want to go over $300 on the sub. I can go a little higher on the amp, but I know if I go higher on the sub, I will have to on the amp too.

Anyway, here is the image I made in paint. Ideas for it are from the minimarty/marty designs, just a little shorter. Winisd and box tune calculator on my phone both show it should be around 18hz tune. I think it's 9.34 cu/ft before sub and bracing displacement. Port is 2"tall, 21" wide and I think it ends up at 36" long.

Any thoughts, ideas or help are greatly appreciated.

I know the UM is unavailable right now, I am very patient, so I can wait, I just want to get the planning part done.

Thank you,

Josh

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The SI sub is out for now, from what I understand they are no longer available. Hope over to the Marty Flat Packs thread and look at those. They are just the right size and the 3000dsp is perfect for 1 or 2 of those. As far as subs, it might be the Dayton for you for now.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Port is 2"tall, 21" wide and I think it ends up at 36" long.

Whatever sub you choose; reduce slot port length by 23% approx. WinISD isn't accurate with slot ports. Don't know about other sim programs. Also, I'd keep the slot port at least 3" tall for an 18 incher to avoid port compression.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1524314/fist-ht-diy-sub#post_24530381

The SI sub is out for now, from what I understand they are no longer available. Hope over to the Marty Flat Packs thread and look at those. They are just the right size and the 3000dsp is perfect for 1 or 2 of those. As far as subs, it might be the Dayton for you for now.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

+1 Save yourself some trouble and time and check it out.

EDIT> Unless you want to go through the process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been reading that thread when I can, usually on my phone while on breaks at work. So much reading, haha. Tough to remember where I find what with so many pages.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my biggest question is: Will my current max dimensions (24"x25.5"x36") tuned to 18ish hz work well for the Ultimax? I know it's not out yet but a lot of people seem to have a ballpark figure for it and my restrictions put me a little on the small side.

I'm also back n forth on the Inuke 3000dsp or 6000dsp. For two reasons. Possibility of upgrade/2nd sub and wanting both "end tables" to match. As the only way I could get my fiance to be ok with this was replacing an end table, hence my size restriction.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
6K DSP is not 2 ohm stable while 3K is, so, be careful what you choose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the vc's wired in series that should be fine on the 3k bridged, or to one channel on the 6k, right?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
series connection doubles the resistance while parallel connection halves it. 6K is essentially 2 bridged 3k under one hood, but not 2 ohms stable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I'm home, I got to play with winisd. Changing to a 3" tall port causes it to be lenghtened quite a bit. So now, same external dimensions with a 3"x21"x56.25" port. After the 20% correction comes out to 17.5hz.

Air velocity peaks at 20m/s @14hz, by 17hz it drops to 17m/s. That also drops the box volume to 7.3cu/ft after displacement.

It looks like that is the route I'm going to take for the enclosure, thanks for the suggestion braveheart. Now I gotta make sure the sub I choose will work well in a 7.3cu/ft enclosure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts