AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up a DVD burner this winter, and one of the uses i have in mind for it involves copying some of my originals to avoid wear and tear. However, some people tell me that few DVDs will fit on the current standard 4.7GB disks, yet others tell me otherwise. I did a little reading and learned to strip DVDs of extras, and secondary soundtracks to get them down to a smaller size. After all, i've already seen all the extras and it's not like i'll ever watch them again anyway. However, the problem is that i've attempted this with about 10 of my disks, and only one of them, Ronin, ended up below the 4.7GB mark. So am i doing something wrong, or is it really true that very few disks will fit? If it's the latter, does anyone happen to know of a list of those DVDs that can be shrinked down to 4.7GB without compressing the video or audio streams?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well a lot of dvds now are dual-layer discs, meaning they have extra audio streams, extra features, etc, and that means they are larger than the 4.7G that your dvd disc will hold. Like you said you can strip out those extras, and hopefully you get a file that will fit on dvd, otherwise you can either keep everything intact and put the movie on two discs, or strip out the extras and compress the video, to get a workable file size. So far I have gone the route of compressing the video, because I did not have enough extra blanks to make 2 dvds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
commercial dvd's have a higher capactiy than the blank dvd disks. I've found this from ripping dvd's to Divx. Just ripping a movie without any extra soundtracks or extras can range in size from like 3.5 to almost 9 gigs. Thats why only some movies will completely burn to a dvd.

I just had a thought, u could compress the DVD (just a little) to divx and retain the AC3 or DTS soundtrack. you would be able to fit any movie on a dvd disk and retain most of the original PQ.

I guess its up to you, put an uncompressed DVD movie on 2 dvd disks or compress it a bit in MPEG4 (DiVX) and fit it on one disk.

·
Registered
455 Posts
 www.doom9.org is the source for this type of stuff. you'll get forums, guides, and downloads to do everything you need. Most people who want to do this type of thing seem to accomplish it by stripping out extraneous soundtracks, trailers, etc. to try to fit it to one disk. DVD transcoding/editing/authoring is not for the faint of heart however, there are a ton of utilities and concepts to get your arms around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patja
www.doom9.org is the source for this type of stuff. you'll get forums, guides, and downloads to do everything you need. Most people who want to do this type of thing seem to accomplish it by stripping out extraneous soundtracks, trailers, etc. to try to fit it to one disk. DVD transcoding/editing/authoring is not for the faint of heart however, there are a ton of utilities and concepts to get your arms around.
That would be good if he was just looking for a storage solution, but there aren't many standalone dvd players that play divx.

patja: true, there is quite a bit of work to try and make a 6gig dvd fit onto a 4.7gig dvd. Doom9.net and vcdhelp.com are the websites with guides that I use most.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
This is a good place to start
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/ifoedit-basic.htm

Good thing is that you can get rid of the annoying FBI warning... I found the guide useful to rip my (and my nieces) favourite dvds to HD. I can rip only what I want, like video and soundtrack, and nothing else, maximizing the space available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.