AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( so I broke the s-video input on my 4504 and now I am running via composite and I hate it. Walking through Costco, they have some darn good deals on 5060(?) units $250 with a $50 mail in rebate......!

so, I love my 4504, but I am enticed by the component output and larger hard-disk.......

I have read complaints about the 5000 series GUI being dog-slow & buggy.....but since I am facing a) living with composite or b) purchasing a 5x series, I wanted to know from the 5xxx users:

Has the GUI problem been adequately fixed?

Is Image quality (I have DirecTV) comparable or worse/better than my 4504 on a RPTV?

Are there any outstanding issues/problems that you would caution me on???

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
if you want component (i dunno how good it is), get the 5060. it's costco, so if you don't like it, they'll take it back. i don't see any slow GUI problems on my 5040. i definitely wouldn't worry about that. plus, the 5060s might be new units because they have a different HDDs (at least in the formatting).

go for it and good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lyndon,

yeah, it's out of warranty...plus I messed it up myself (have you ever tried to remove the legs on the rptv...you have to take apart the entire unit!!!)

ReplayJanitor, those are some encouraging words....... :) Are you OK with the picture quality on the 5060?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elfer
ReplayJanitor, those are some encouraging words....... :) Are you OK with the picture quality on the 5060?
mine is a 5040 (though there shouldn't be any difference). most people here would agree that the encoder on the 5xxx is better. someone actually posted a 4xxx vs 5xxx review on here last year saying that the 5000 had done considerably better with lots of motion, such as sports and action scenes.

some 5000 units seem to be problematic, but like i said, you can always take it back to costco and get a refund or exchange. keep us posted.

edit: sorry, i ran circles around and forgot to answer the actual question. yes, i am OK with the picture quality on the 5040. standard is okay for sitcoms and most other stuff in medium quality looks real good (much better than a VCR on my 20" panasonic, anyway).

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Also.. since you are no novice at voiding warranties, the Costco 5060s are actually 5080s (80 hours at std. qual) if you are willing to remove and reformat the hard drive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
FWIW, I delayed upgrading from my Showstopper to the 5000 series for a long time, because I was afraid I would be disappointed with the "sluggish GUI" I had heard about on the 5000. I now wish I had upgraded sooner.

The 5000 series GUI is about 5 times faster than the 3000 series (especially in the channel guide - which is the most important place for me). The Menu seems to come up slow if you are watching something, but that isn't a big deal. I have not used a 4000 series unit, so I don't have any frame of reference relative to 4000 series performance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i really appreciate all your feedback!

2 more items I would like to get cleared up.....

1) Do I still get a 30 day "trial" period with Replay before I have to sign up ?

2) Is there still a choice between "monthly" and "life time" subscription?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwall
FWIW, I delayed upgrading from my Showstopper to the 5000 series for a long time, because I was afraid I would be disappointed with the "sluggish GUI" I had heard about on the 5000. I now wish I had upgraded sooner.

The 5000 series GUI is about 5 times faster than the 3000 series (especially in the channel guide - which is the most important place for me). The Menu seems to come up slow if you are watching something, but that isn't a big deal. I have not used a 4000 series unit, so I don't have any frame of reference relative to 4000 series performance.

I've never had a 4XXXX series, but I can safely say that the video refreshes slower on QS and instant replay than in my SS and 3XXX. But the channel and replay guides are faster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elfer
i really appreciate all your feedback!

2 more items I would like to get cleared up.....

1) Do I still get a 30 day "trial" period with Replay before I have to sign up ?

2) Is there still a choice between "monthly" and "life time" subscription?
Actually, I think you only have 3 days to sign up. You have a 30 day guarantee where you can return it.

You can still choose between $9.95 monthly or $250 lifetime. I just verified it at: http://www.sonicblue.com/services/_t...ion.asp?cat=23

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, only 3 days...... : [

Well, I got one from Costco....I will play with it and see if it is as good (hopefully better) than my 4504........thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so then,

I had a few hours to play with my shiny new 5060, and I am a bit underwhelmed. :(

Pic quality seems on par if not a bit worse than my 4504. It does seem quieter, and it's prettier though :)

But, considering that I am spending $250, and that I probably won't get the $50 rebate, I am struggling to find a reason to "upgrade".

Am I missing something here, but it seems that the 5k software and features are exactly the same as on my 4504.....?

are there feature differences or other differences that would make an upgrade compelling?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>if you want component (i dunno how good it is), get the 5060

The 4xxx do component output. You need a VGA->component cable, and you need to select the correct setting in the setup menu.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, thanks. I am already using the vga out option :)

seems to me, aside from the component output, it's just a "repackaged" 4000 series :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
In view up the upheaval that's going on with the company right now, I can't understand why anyone would even consider buying a new unit at this time.

I say wait a while until you know you're going to continue to get service and listings!

Dave W.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mattpompom,

I plugged my 4500 back in and I will live with the composite input right now. thanks for asking. the 5060 is going back to costco :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dave2297
In view up the upheaval that's going on with the company right now, I can't understand why anyone would even consider buying a new unit at this time.

I say wait a while until you know you're going to continue to get service and listings!

Dave W.
I just bought a new 5060 from Costco and I have no worries at all. If anything happens that I don't like all I have to do is stick it in the box and return it. It's an essentially risk free scenario. There are plenty of reasons someone would at least consider buying a new unit at this time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.