AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an upconverting DVD player -- the Toshiba SD-V583 (which also has a VCR built in) and have connected it to my Pioneer PDP-434PU Plasma via the HDMI input. I'm very pleased with the picture I'm getting with this setup.

However, because the TV locks aspect ratio when it detects a 1080i signal to "FULL", certain DVDs are not displaying correctly (this appears to have been mentioned in some other posts though I wasn't able to find any solutions). "Anamorphic" widescreen discs work correctly, but "Regular" widescreen DVDs (some older discs like Batman and Conan the Destroyer for instance) and 4:3 discs come in stretched. I don't particularly mind stretching 4:3, but when you take a 2.35:1 movie like Conan the Destroyer and stretch it, practically half the screen is a black letterbox.

I understand that the problem is with the source player rather than the TV setting (though I have to disagree with the logic of programmers completely preventing consumers from adjusting AR when an HD signal is detected). So I'm wondering:

1) Is there any sort of device (i.e. hardware compnent) that I can put between my DVD player and the TV that could fix this and help me "process" the source material before it gets to the TV?

2) If not, are there any upconverting DVD players available that allow the user to adjust for this problem, hopefully within the $250 range (my Toshiba was $190 and included an HDMI cable and other than the aspect ratio issue, I've been quite happy with it)?

thanks

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I dont quite follow you statement about the source player/tv settings, its the TV's fault all the way....

For non-anamorphic movies and 4:3 discs, just tell the player to output to a 4L3 tv, I believe that corrects it the best you can do given your tv's inappropriate locking issue...

·
Registered
53 Posts
LG DVB418 has a zoom option that provides two level of vertical stretch which can be used to correct the aspect ratio in the case of full screen or non-anamorphic DVD. It works quite well with non-anamorphic wide screen titles. With full screen titles, you get the correct aspect ratio, but then you lose a bit of top and bottom of the picture.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
You can feed your video into a scaler that allows you to control aspect ratios.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.