AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my friend's mom buy a new receiver for their living room. It was an entry level Denon receiver that she paid about $500 for about 3 years ago. A couple of months ago I got a text from her saying that it was no longer working. The unit would turn on and do the video switching just fine but there was no sound coming out of the speakers. She took it into the store where she got it (a boutique audio store, not best buy) and they were happy to try and run a few tests on it. They called her back and said they could not reproduce the failure, that the unit was working fine. She takes it home and it works for a few days and does the same thing again.

It was not inside of a cabinet so I'm sure its not an overheating issue. My friend (whose mom bought the receiver) tried to blow into the headphone jack on the unit (a fix he claims he learned on the internet) and it again started working for a few weeks before the same issue came up.

So they are now looking for my advice. If its a bad relay, is it worth fixing, or should she just suck it up and buy a new AVR?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I helped my friend's mom buy a new receiver for their living room. It was an entry level Denon receiver that she paid about $500 for about 3 years ago. A couple of months ago I got a text from her saying that it was no longer working. The unit would turn on and do the video switching just fine but there was no sound coming out of the speakers. She took it into the store where she got it (a boutique audio store, not best buy) and they were happy to try and run a few tests on it. They called her back and said they could not reproduce the failure, that the unit was working fine. She takes it home and it works for a few days and does the same thing again.

It was not inside of a cabinet so I'm sure its not an overheating issue. My friend (whose mom bought the receiver) tried to blow into the headphone jack on the unit (a fix he claims he learned on the internet) and it again started working for a few weeks before the same issue came up.

So they are now looking for my advice. If its a bad relay, is it worth fixing, or should she just suck it up and buy a new AVR?
If the AVR switches to "H/P" when she gets no sound, then your friend is correct - Blowing the dust out of the headphone jack has worked for many in the past. My Denon 1910 has done this to me, a can of compressed air resolves the problem.

·
Premium Member
90,290 Posts
Some of the XX10 models have an actual defective headphone jack that causes audio drop outs. This is more severe than the "H/P ON" issue which can be resolved by blowing compressed air into the headphone jack, rather in this instance, the work around is to pop the top and unplug the headphone wire molex connector to the headphone jack, disabling the headphones all together.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the AVR switches to "H/P" when she gets no sound, then your friend is correct - Blowing the dust out of the headphone jack has worked for many in the past. My Denon 1910 has done this to me, a can of compressed air resolves the problem.
I have no idea if ht switches to "H/P" or seen it malfunction. I let my friend know about your response so he can try it out on his mom's receiver.

Let's say it doesn't work, is this sort of issue a cheap fix, or is it better to get another receiver? They dont use it for Home theater use; they just watch TV, listen to music, and use it as an HDMI switcher.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Some of the XX10 models have an actual defective headphone jack that causes audio drop outs. This is more severe than the "H/P ON" issue which can be resolved by blowing compressed air into the headphone jack, rather in this instance, the work around is to pop the top and unplug the headphone wire molex connector to the headphone jack, disabling the headphones all together.
Thanks JD. I'll look into disconnecting the headphone jack next time I take it out for it's biannual cleaning.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully this resolves their issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts