AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
To get to the SAM (Service ...something.. Menu), I type 062596 [Info] (while in analog mode) and then you can go to Geometry where there are a plethora of options to change.


My biggest problem with this set is the "ghosting" I experience. Does yours have any of that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinessiseasy /forum/post/0


To get to the SAM (Service ...something.. Menu), I type 062596 [Info] (while in analog mode) and then you can go to Geometry where there are a plethora of options to change.


My biggest problem with this set is the "ghosting" I experience. Does yours have any of that?

my tv ghosts as well.


i'm not sure how to fix this.. do you have any clue?


im going to be calling philips tomorrow morning about this. i got this tv unit TODAY! :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I returned mine, mostly because of the ghosting, but also because it turned off on me and wouldn't turn back on. I got my money back and picked up the Symphonic WF32L6. It's an LCD and it's only a little more ($600 MSRP) than the Philips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinessiseasy /forum/post/0


I returned mine, mostly because of the ghosting, but also because it turned off on me and wouldn't turn back on. I got my money back and picked up the Symphonic WF32L6. It's an LCD and it's only a little more ($600 MSRP) than the Philips.


hahah, i did the same exact thing with the philips, and also got the same LCD, i couldnt be happier now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
So I have the PHILIPS 9110D model a little newer than 9100D, but I have big overscaning, there's the pics below as you can see! So does anyone know what #s should I put in for the geometry settings at the service menu to get it right??? Did anyone did this with this or an older model yet, how did it go???


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
^^^ anyone??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
So I guess no one did!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,835 Posts
If your set's under warranty... call for service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0


If your set's under warranty... call for service.

I did! A Philips technician came down here and said "ahhhhh this is not a TVs problem, it's the PS3s not proper 16:9 ratio!" I was like okkk! how is this not a TVs overscan, it's on all 16:9 channals as well not just on gaming! He was like ohhh it's a common thing there's nothing wrong with it! So he refused to fix it by proving me that this is a normal thing all TVs suffer!


So I gave my hopes away and decided to ask you guys, if you could help me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Shurik,


I have the exact same model TV you do, and When I play the XB 360 through it I get the same overscannng - I only notice it on a few games because of the game's HUD (in Marvel Ultimate Alliance it drove me crazy).

I noticed it also happens in regular DVD movies (I have an upconvert DVD player going through the HDMI port). So it's gotta be something with the TV.


My TV is still under extended warranty to I'll call Phillips and see if they can get a tech to look at it - hopefully I won't get the same response as you did from your tech.
I don't want to go in the service menu for fear of really messing up the TV.


Oh and my roomate's brother brought over his PS3 and hooked it up to my TV so I can see how it looks on my TV, and we noticed the exact same thing as your screenshot of The Playstation Store. I didn't notice it in Resistance or any of the other demos he had.. Didn't try Grand Tourismo demo.

Also, do you run your PS3 through HDMI? That's how I hooked it up on my TV, and it would not play any BluRay movies. My roomate's brother said something that the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP compliant or something, and it won't work until Sony fixes it in a firmware upgrade..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 /forum/post/0


Shurik,


I have the exact same model TV you do, and When I play the XB 360 through it I get the same overscannng - I only notice it on a few games because of the game's HUD (in Marvel Ultimate Alliance it drove me crazy).

I noticed it also happens in regular DVD movies (I have an upconvert DVD player going through the HDMI port). So it's gotta be something with the TV.


My TV is still under extended warranty to I'll call Phillips and see if they can get a tech to look at it - hopefully I won't get the same response as you did from your tech.
I don't want to go in the service menu for fear of really messing up the TV.


Oh and my roomate's brother brought over his PS3 and hooked it up to my TV so I can see how it looks on my TV, and we noticed the exact same thing as your screenshot of The Playstation Store. I didn't notice it in Resistance or any of the other demos he had.. Didn't try Grand Tourismo demo.

Also, do you run your PS3 through HDMI? That's how I hooked it up on my TV, and it would not play any BluRay movies. My roomate's brother said something that the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP compliant or something, and it won't work until Sony fixes it in a firmware upgrade..

Thanks for the response! yeah defenately keep me updated on how it will go with your TV when tech will come by! I'll also try calling again and ask another tech to come over and fix this problem.

Well I did play my PS3 with the HDMI cable! I didn't play Blue Ray DVDs though, just didn't try. But I did use if for the games and I couldn't tell any difference from the regular blue, green component HD cable!


BTW when you put your TV on mute, is your mute icon cut half way on top of the screen as well? If yess that's weird, why did Philips didn't correct that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik /forum/post/0


Thanks for the response! yeah defenately keep me updated on how it will go with your TV when tech will come by! I'll also try calling again and ask another tech to come over and fix this problem.

Well I did play my PS3 with the HDMI cable! I didn't play Blue Ray DVDs though, just didn't try. But I did use if for the games and I couldn't tell any difference from the regular blue, green component HD cable!


BTW when you put your TV on mute, is your mute icon cut half way on top of the screen as well? If yess that's weird, why did Philips didn't correct that?

OK, I will call them tomorrow after work to see if I can get a tech to come out here.


Please try playing a BluRay movie via HDMI and let me know if it works. I think the one we tried was Kingdom of Heaven.


When I put my TV on mute, I don't notice the icon halfway cut on the top. it is touching the edge of the screen though, and I can read the "MUTE" letters. It always stays in the same place whenever I toggle the aspect ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 /forum/post/0


OK, I will call them tomorrow after work to see if I can get a tech to come out here.


Please try playing a BluRay movie via HDMI and let me know if it works. I think the one we tried was Kingdom of Heaven.


When I put my TV on mute, I don't notice the icon halfway cut on the top. it is touching the edge of the screen though, and I can read the "MUTE" letters. It always stays in the same place whenever I toggle the aspect ratio.

Yeah I guess I might call them up again as well! They might ignore me this time, but who knows!

yeah I'll try watching my Blue ray DVD with HDMI, see how it'll work!


Hey btw do you have a ghosting images problem on the TV? and those ghosting vertical moving lines when you watch something on 1080i resolution? If yes try telling him to fix it as well when tech will come in! See what he'll say!

Well keep me updated bro! Seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I had this tv for about three months before retuning it for a sony xbr970. I fixed the over scan issue my self using a sevice manual i found on a differnt thread. it is technical but fairly easy to correct the over scan, but the PQ on my set was worse than my old standard def. I had bought the CC extended waranty and after three sevrice calls the PQ was unbearable, so I just returned it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Shurik, I don't notice any ghosting images on my TV.. Keep me posted on the PS3 HDMI movies.


outatime2001, can you link to the service manual? I may have to resort to it if the Philips Tech won't fix it. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 /forum/post/0


Shurik, I don't notice any ghosting images on my TV.. Keep me posted on the PS3 HDMI movies.


outatime2001, can you link to the service manual? I may have to resort to it if the Philips Tech won't fix it. Thanks.

Well ok I pluged my HDMI back to check if I can watch BD DVDs! And yes I can view the BD DVDs with the HDMI imput on my Philips, but for some reason it didn't want to work from the beginning? When I tryed entering the disk the TV screen just went black and didn't show anything from the beginning! I tried doing the same thing a couple times and finally it started working!!! Now it works perfectly fine!


Well any new updates with your Philips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik /forum/post/0


Well ok I pluged my HDMI back to check if I can watch BD DVDs! And yes I can view the BD DVDs with the HDMI imput on my Philips, but for some reason it didn't want to work from the beginning? When I tryed entering the disk the TV screen just went black and didn't show anything from the beginning! I tried doing the same thing a couple times and finally it started working!!! Now it works perfectly fine!


Well any new updates with your Philips?

So you just played the movies a few times and it worked all of a sudden, or did you skip chapters? Did you try multiple movies?


I called Phillips and they had a local repair shop who I've dealt with in the past (that I didn't care for) call me on Thursday, left a message and I've called them back a few times with no answer. I'm going to call Phillips again to request help from another repair shop.
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top