AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: New Mobos doing the blink thing on sleep is been bugging me big time. I want the old style, like: Bright Blue LED ON, Dim Red LED SLEEP, is that so hard? Apparently it is.

Here a hardware project that solves the problem, it also contains a couple of "easier" solutions should you just want to extinguish all LED when asleep.

StpBlink.pdf

You hard core builders, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing!

I've been meaning to buy some Light-Dims for a low tech solution, but haven't gotten around to it yet. http://www.lightdims.com
I covered a couple bright LED displays with a small piece of plastic cut from a black lawn/leaf/garbage bag. One time I used 2 layers. The thin film stays in place sometimes by static & sometimes by moisture, whichever works best at the time. Once I needed to use a small piece of tape.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't your BIOS have an option to disable the mainboard's lights? Mine does, so I disabled everything except the power button light.
Some do, some don't.

But this geek don't want a completely "dark" machine, that's reserved for OFF in my book. When sleep I want a ever so growing, barely "alive" red LED. Yep that's the length some people go through to make something work EXACTLY as envisioned :D I feel little bit like Steve Jobs. :p

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
The power and HDD activity lights on my case are pretty bright, but they're nowhere near as bright as the ones on my UPS. They're so bright I draped a piece of cardboard over the front panel so I don't have to sleep during its simulated blazing light of day. :eek:

·
Registered
666 Posts
The power and HDD activity lights on my case are pretty bright, but they're nowhere near as bright as the ones on my UPS. They're so bright I draped a piece of cardboard over the front panel so I don't have to sleep during its simulated blazing light of day. :eek:
My wife's alarm clock has a bright LCD panel. She had it two years before she realized it could be dimmed! You could read by the darn thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts