AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in an HD100 thread the other day that more than occasionally I get 2 second video only dropouts on HBO HD.

I went up on the roof yesterday and wired around the multiswitch on my oval DirectTV antenna feeding only the 119 sat (sat B) to my HD100. The dropouts seem to have gone away.

It seems now that the multiswitch is at fault. How can I further conclude that the multiswitch is the problem? I'm not sure if I should just replace it with a new one, replace it with an amplified multiswitch, or add an inline amplifier somewhere. My cable run is about 100 feet exactly, so I think that adding an amplifier may not help, but end up hurting by adding too much db gain.

Any suggestions?

Dave

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
How old is the multiswitch? When mine went bad, the dealer replaced it without a problem, but it was under warrantee.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The switch is about three months old, so it is under warranty- I'm sure replacing it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know for certain that it is the switch that is causing the drops... I'm wondering if the 100ft distance is an issue to consider at all. I know it *shouldn't* be, but the HD100 does seem temperamental.

Dave

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dave,

I still get occasional dropouts with the HD-100 on HBO 509, curious as to the solution to your problem. My cable length is well below 50 feet.

John

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dave,

Are you using RG6 cable with external ground wire? Do you have the ground wire connected to the multiswitch and to a properly grounded grounding block? Is the RG6 connected to a properly grounded grounding block? I have heard that a static charge can can build up on the cable and affect the multiswitch and that the grounding block is the way to solve it.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
In reference to the occasional 509 drops. I have seen owners of all the STB's say this happens every once in a while. It is most likely DTV or HBO itself that is the cause.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.