AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, fixed it!

TOOK THE CARD OUT AND PUT IN AN NVIDIA CARD!

Night and day difference. Smooth as silk.

I was just so fed up that I had to vent on this.

(Sorry
)

-Trouble

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
You have done what many of us have done to experience liberation.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah, swapped the 8800GT from my gamer. Until Mythtv .22 is out and things stabilize, I don't care about VDPAU much.

-Trouble

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Ya, I'm running SVN, and recent versions took away WatchRecorded|{rightarrow} for transcoding, and the OSD while watching for Pause, FF, Info, etc. Annoying, although the UI is better.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter /forum/post/15585277

Yup, fixed it!

TOOK THE CARD OUT AND PUT IN AN NVIDIA CARD!

Night and day difference. Smooth as silk.

I was just so fed up that I had to vent on this.

(Sorry
)

-Trouble

TROUBLE! and here I thought I was being a traitor by buying a fanless 9400GT card for under 40 bucks.

I just hope I can disable the on board video (780G Motherboard) without too much of an issue.

Well anyhow, same frustration here. I hope ATI/AMD or open source eventualy solve this. When the magical day happens and the onboard video is usable for HTPC, I'll remove the card and use the Nvidia in a backend box I eventualy will build.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/15613552

I didn't know Nvidia 9xxx series cards could be had fanless. Here's one-

Yep, that's the one I ordered. Should be in Fri or Mon... free shipping and less than 40 with a promo code.

Too bad it's not half height!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I don't think that 9400 has the core that enables VC-1 VDPAU.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15617564

Eh, by the end of the year we'll all have 45nm or 35nm 3.0Ghz+ quad cores, so software decoding of any codec will be no sweat

Seriously, if we had to choose, I'd rather have quad core optimized mplayers, vlc's, xines, ffmpeg's, XBMC's and Myth's vs VDPAU/XvBA optimized stuff (i.e. properly coded uber multi-threading), though XvBA/VDPAU won't hurt either

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I hope those drop down from 125W to 10W

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15618118

I hope those drop down from 125W to 10W

Heck, if the Phenom2's or AM3 Phenom2/3's can get below 100W at 45nm and 3Ghz, I'll be happy...

...and the i7's ain't any better power-wise...

Not to start a CPU fanboi war, but I really think AMD has the low cost+low power/heat+good performance balance equation down pat.

Kind of ironic that so many Linux people like AMD CPU's, but they can't get their Linux video drivers right yet...

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15617564

I'll be happy to play MPG2 without tearing: SD or HD!

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/15620282

Kind of ironic that so many Linux people like AMD CPU's, but they can't get their Linux video drivers right yet...

GRR... Yes.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus /forum/post/15624243

I'll be happy to play MPG2 without tearing: SD or HD!

Try the Asus 8400 GS 512MB. I bought two and they play MPEG2 perfect at the cost of a little more CPU usage compared to my 8600 GT. However this is without VDPAU. With VDPAU, the CPU usage should be moot.

In this regard I am looking at the 8400 GS as a better buy due to the smaller form factor and VC-1 support than the 9400 GT posted above. However, if the 9400 GT also supports VC-1 (now or later) and you have the space to accomodate the heatsink/passive cooler on the 9400 GT, then the 9400 GT would be the better buy.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15630237

Try the Asus 8400 GS 512MB. I bought two and they play MPEG2 perfect at the cost of a little more CPU usage compared to my 8600 GT. However this is without VDPAU. With VDPAU, the CPU usage should be moot.

In this regard I am looking at the 8400 GS as a better buy due to the smaller form factor and VC-1 support than the 9400 GT posted above. However, if the 9400 GT also supports VC-1 (now or later) and you have the space to accomodate the heatsink/passive cooler on the 9400 GT, then the 9400 GT would be the better buy.

Plus, there's a metric buttload of low cost (~$30 or less, some after MIR), passively cooled 8400GS's to choose from

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

http://3btech.net/videocards-nvidiapcie.html

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...56U2LP&cat=VCD

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15630237

I assume the 64bit memory interface/path vs 128bit doesn't make a difference for video media playback, regardless of codec/resolution (i.e. VC1/MPEG2/x264 and 480p/720p/1080p)?

Also, any functional/performance difference with VDPAU and/or x/h264/MPEG2 playback with 256M vs 512M?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8400gs&x=0&y=0

The 8400GS fully supports all VDPAU accelerations, I believe.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The 64-bit thing was and still is a concern. Until I have VDPAU enable and test it out I'm not going to know for sure unless others have done it.

For the memory, I think it is safer to get the 512 MB as I heard that the 256 MB may be an issue when VDPAU is fully baked.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/15639666

The 64-bit thing was and still is a concern. Until I have VDPAU enable and test it out I'm not going to know for sure unless others have done it.

For the memory, I think it is safer to get the 512 MB as I heard that the 256 MB may be an issue when VDPAU is fully baked.

Whatcha waitin' fer? According to the first review

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121235

"a VDPAU dream-

This is a G98 chipset (567 MHz Core clock) it does everything vdpau has to offer as of 01/22/09 which is full hardware offloading of VC1 - H264 - MPEG2. It works like a charm, I bought 3 of those and I am not looking back"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts