AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any difference in sound quality? i know variable makes the volume lower it seems like but is there changes in quality? ive been switching back and forth for a hell of a long time and cant tell if theres a difference between the two! haha. i have my new 24" tau hooked up to a aiwa prologic system. help would be appreciated. tell me about ur experiences with fixed and variable

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Supersonic,

To first approximation, it isn't a matter of quality, it's primarily a matter of how you control the volume. You can use the variable output(s) to drive an amplifier that has no builtin volume control. You can use the fixed output(s) to drive a preamp that has its own volume control. If you drive a preamp from the variable output, then you have the problem that you have two different volume controls and you have to worry about which gets set to what when trying to get a consistant output.

At the next level of audio sophistication, I'd tend to avoid the variable output because it adds additional circuitry of unknown quality. High quality attenuation is more likely to be available in an external receiver or pre/pro.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm...audio sophistication meaning that ud have to listen very very carefully to hear that difference? if thats it then its not worth it for me. but i can tell slight differences. it seems a little more clear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.